It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: BCM Help Questions 2002 Libby
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:53 pm 
LOST Newbie

Ok here's my issue (s). I have a 2002 Limited 4x4 3.7 & my baby has lost some of her brains.

The BCM quit, come to find out that's not so uncommon. My delimea resides in the fact that my BCM has been discontinued and is no longer available from the dealer.

Now I have a degree in computers & networking and for everything I know about FRED's (Freaking Ridicules Electronic Device's) I really wanted a new BCM.

I have a garage that I trust to work on my vehicles. They can send my old BCM out (through the dealer mind you) & have it R&R-ed, but of course the Dealer can't tell them what will actually be done. I've also started looking online for R&R facilities.

I have found out that mopar used the wrong coating on the control boards & electronic's along with defective / inferior chips. Hence the discontinued part. Seems most problems are that the chips lifting off the control boards and the solder needs to be redone.

Now I'm thinking bone yard for the interim & possibly sending my old one out for R&R later.

So, I was looking for input from anyone else who might have run into the same situation(s).

Also wondering if anything is different in a California model BCM compared to the rest of them? A local bone yard has 3 from California. My BCM is one with security or basically keyless entry. It does not store the odometer readings which is a good thing.

Has anyone removed a BCM from a 2002? The stoopid Chilton doesn't give clear enough information & the Jeep service manual I have says to see a section that doesn't seem to exist. Ugh! I know it attaches to the interior fuse panel.

I'm going to give it a go today/tomorrow on removal for a part number match up at the bone yard. Yes I know about disconnecting the battery due to Airbags. But wasn't sure about removal of dash trim etc.

Any help is appreciated.

Post subject: Re: BCM Help Questions 2002 Libby
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:01 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

It's below the int fuse section, rke modules clipped on top of it, has a screw at each corner holding it to the fuse panel, retaining screw for the fuse relay dodah is under the same molding used for the roof lights, don't remember if i had to do much jostling other wise, took the kick panel down below the steering column and got her out through there, because of course from the fuse access panel you can't hardly tell there's anything mounted below the fuses

If i was on my lap top I'd pull the manual images for you which would show you most of what you're asking
Should be just a quick Google "2002 liberty bcm"

If the parts no longer available it was replaced with a newer version, there's some dumassery going on at your dealership id imagine..... They're likely to be eaten by a grue

I like bone yard for certain things except electronic parts, too many end up there due to electrical issues

But hey .. Sounds like a great place to practice taking out your first one! Let us know what you break and we'll go from there :lol:
Leave the broken bits on the floor board and buy a cig lighter on your way out

Lift: ft. 790+ rr. JBA4+
The last of the TrailReady Front&Rear Bumpers and TR Rock Rails
Jarhead Offroad light covers
31x10.5R15 RedLetter Grabbers on Blackrock Dunes
L.O.S.T #KD098632

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:24 am 
LOST Junkie

Why do you say that the BCM is bad? What are the symptoms. :?

Any 2002 BCM will work but may need some re-programming for some functions.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:43 pm 
LOST Newbie

Billwill wrote:
Why do you say that the BCM is bad? What are the symptoms. :?

Any 2002 BCM will work but may need some re-programming for some functions.

Sorry for my delayed response, been a crazy few weeks :dizzy:

The symptoms are.... none of the below work:
RKE (Remote Keyless Entry)
VTSS (Vehicle Theft Security System)
CMTC (Compass, Mini-Trip Computer-Temperature, Fuel Economy & DTE)
Power Locks
A/C
Interior Lighting
Chimes (for door ajar etc)
Headlights (High & Low)
Fog Lights
Wipers (Front & Rear)
Rear Flip-Up Glass (so, no access through the tailgate)
Rear Defogger
Radio & Controls on Steering Wheel
Instrument Cluster Illumination
Speedometer

I may have missed some seeing as it's been a few weeks. Once I narrowed it down to the BCM, I took it to the only Garage I trust to touch my vehicles. My mechanic has all the electronic toys (that I wish I had LOL) including a DRBIII. The call came in later that day & it was in fact the BCM. Yeah, I was right! :D well kind of happy LOL

Went and picked Libby up from the Garage, so I could start taking her apart. I know the BCM for the 2002 Liberty Limited AUT 4x4 lists 2 models. 1 With Security, 1 W/O Security. That was easy "With" but, the tough part is that you can't get a new one.... :banghead:

My stealership (where I bought Libby) sent me an e-mail saying that it was no longer available...what the what ???

After working in Automotive for over 15yrs in both the Dealerships and Aftermarket, Managing Warehouses, before the day of computers & we had to look up everything in catalogs (cat & microfish at dealers). I find it absoultly appauling and hard to believe that such an integral part is not available. Sorry I just had to vent!

I kept looking on-line with similar responses from other sites... with 1 big exception, that you have to go to your local dealer for exchange. Ok, that makes sence, but don't tell me it's not available anymore!

A call back to my mechanic and, they can have another stealership pick up my BCM and send it out to be R&R. Thinking boneyard 1st then maybe sending out my bad BCM for R&R.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:00 pm 
LOST Newbie

My Latest Update

I have pulled my JB-BCM (took me a few hours as I took my time & have never taken this dash apart). I went to a local boneyard for a match up.
BCM numbers match and, they actually gave me the complete JBM :BANANA:

Yard guy that pulled it out said "it was a :furious: to get out" LOL, I didn't find it that hard.

However here are my new concerns, this BCM is out of a Cali Libby, but with all the features mine has.

So some new questions:
Does a California Libby differ in it's BCM programming compared to the rest of the USA?

I know I have to use my RKE module, easy enough.

Should I put the whole donor JBM in with my RKE or just attach the donor BCM and my RKE to my JB, seeing as my JB is good? Both of the JB's have the exact same fuses etc.

I believe on this year & model that the Instrument Cluster stores the Odometer reading. Is this correct?

Can I just put it together with donor BCM & take it back to my Mechanic for any re-programming that may be needed like the axel ratio/tire size etc?

Or will I damage something if it's not reprogrammed first to the original BCM. Will it damage anything being driven back to the garage with the donor installed?

I can put the bad BCM back in and leave most of the dash apart if I have to, then drive it back to the garage. There he can remove old BCM codes, remove the bad BCM & replace/reprogram donor BCM. This will help save $$$ in the labor if they don't have to do as much. Seeing as labor is $100hr :(

I really want to save as much $$$ as I can right now, these big expensive repair jobs never come along at the right times...lol And I want to eventually send out the original BCM to be totally R&R.

I took pictures of the process so I can make a post later. This should help anyone else looking to do this job and not finding anything on line. Trust me I looked and there are no tutorials etc :rockon:

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance! :JEEPIN:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:03 am 
LOST Junkie

I would suggest you plug your original RKE module onto your new BCM and plug it all back together and see what works and what does not work....should not cause any damage to anything and I do not believe that the Odometer reading is stored in the BCM. :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:48 pm 
LOST Newbie

Got the BCM & RKE module installed & thought all was good. Initial inspection showed everything working. YEA!
But alas no :furious:
Took her out on a test drive & the speedometer isn't working and then the MIL light came on. And then she stalled out at low speed, when I stop or go to turn. Didn't take her on the highway.
Took her to my mechanic with all the electronic toys (that I wish I had LOL)
My mechanic said it was a speed sensor code. Asked if I had any issues with speedo before BCM issue & that was a nope.
I took apart the rear speed sensor on the differental to check for the common chafed wires. They were incased in loom & electrical tape and absolutely no chafing is visable.
My mechanic said there's nothing to be programed on these & he suspects a bad BCM :banghead: told me pick up another one & try it.
Now I'm trying to find another one local but of course their few & far between.
Any input from the Great Jeep Guru's will & is appreciated :D

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:58 pm 
LOST Newbie

Forgot to mention that of course the DTE/Fuel economy is not working & the hour's of drive time is continuously counting up at a rate equal to normal time in seconds...1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ...etc & when I arrived at my mechanics it showed like 4, 000 & change.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:45 am 
LOST Junkie

Tanzanite wrote:
Forgot to mention that of course the DTE/Fuel economy is not working & the hour's of drive time is continuously counting up at a rate equal to normal time in seconds...1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ...etc & when I arrived at my mechanics it showed like 4, 000 & change.

What happens if you put your original BCM back in? :?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:52 pm 
LOST Newbie

Billwill wrote:
Tanzanite wrote:

What happens if you put your original BCM back in? :?

Ok, here's what I did:
Put original BCM back in with old and Donor JB -
everything that didn't work before, still don't work, including the speedo.
But DTE, ECO, AVG ECO MPG all show - - on the display. No counting on overhead console.

Put Donor BCM in with original & donor JB - Everything works except the overhead console.
DTE, ECO, AVG ECO MPG doing the counting thing as posted before, so not working :roll:

No speedo code registered with any changes because, I only drove it down 2 houses & turned around. And of course I had disconnected the battery in between.

Now I'm thinking, seeing as I played with all the combos of donor parts with old parts and achieved the same results, that the BCM I picked up is indeed NG.

So do you agree BillWill?

But, on the bright side I can replace a 2002 Libby BCM blindfolded :-)r
And I know that my wires on the rear diff speedo are not chafed, that's a plus.

:JEEPIN:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:25 am 
LOST Junkie

According to the 2002 KJ Service Manual there is plenty of stuff that needs re-programming when replacing the BCM.
You are supposed to pull out all the data from the old BCM using a DRBIII tool and then put all that data back into the new BCM.

So I doubt that getting another used BCM will help you.....I may be wrong though....I think you need someone who knows what he is doing to program your BCM with the DRBIII tool. :(

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:54 am 
LOST Newbie

Billwill wrote:
According to the 2002 KJ Service Manual there is plenty of stuff that needs re-programming when replacing the BCM.
You are supposed to pull out all the data from the old BCM using a DRBIII tool and then put all that data back into the new BCM.

So I doubt that getting another used BCM will help you.....I may be wrong though....I think you need someone who knows what he is doing to program your BCM with the DRBIII tool. :(

Yes I have read the SM for Libby.
Yes there is a lot of stuff that can be programed in the BCM.
And yes the speedometer will not work without the Axel Pinion Ratio being programed.
I just thought all that would still be stored in the donor BCM, everything but the speedo works.

So...The SAGA continues, I broke down and called the dealership that sold me Libby "Note: Same DS that the Parts Dept said that BCM is discontinued."

Hello, I have a BCM that needs to be programed in my Liberty. Mine went bad and I installed another one.
Service Department response - "Oh you can't install a BCM out of another vehicle, that information has to be factory programed, I'll get you a price and call you back"
Me - that part is... click.... :5SHOTS:
15min later...Ring...Hello this is *** Service, um.... pause... that BCM is discontinued, " thinking like no :furious: shirlock".
Well, what if I got a reman one, could you reprogram that? :juggle:
I don't know, that Tech isn't in the shop till Mon. I'll have to call you back on Mon :banghead:

CALL OUT - Anyone in the RI or nearby MA area have a DRBIII tool? That knows what their doing? :ROTFL:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:29 pm 
LOST Newbie

I know this is an old post

any luck on getting your Speedo to function after the donor BCM

I am in the same boat,
2002 liberty, headlights, wipers, ac, power doors etc all went out at once
dealer no longer makes the BCM

I went to the junkyard got a BCM from an 02, switched my door controller to it, now ever doors, windows ac all work, just not the speedo, when I do the speedo tests, it moves,

just seeing if the deeler was able to fix it, or if you got it fixed, thanks

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 8:31 pm 
LOST Newbie

just to answer my own question,

I went ahead and ordered a reman BCM from http://www.aesmodules.com

put it in, speedo works like a charm, no programing needed