It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gas tank recall info
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:43 am 
LOST Newbie

Hi all,
I'm new to the forum. Haven't finished updating my profile yet, but I wanted to pass on some info and pose a question about the gas tank/hitch recall. I have a 2005 Liberty Renegade with skid plate package. Took it in yesterday for the recall hitch install and was told I would have to lose the gas tank skid plate for the hitch install. They have a tool that Chrysler sent to their dealership to measure clearance between back of hitch and tank and it was their experience that the skid plate would have to go. They also informed me that the hitch was for protection only and could not be used as a hitch to tow ANYTHING. Maybe for a bike rack but nothing else. So I said no, thank you very much, but I'm not losing my skid plate. They couldn't provide a measurement to go by, even in the paperwork from Chrysler. My question is, is there a good aftermarket hitch out there that would work with the skid plate? I want to be able to tow my 16' fishing boat. The dealer would have to test the clearance with their tool to sign me off on the recall. They did say that they haven't had any aftermarket hitches not pass, but didn't know if any had a skid plate also. Sorry if this has already been discussed, I haven't had much time yet to go through the forum. Steve

Post subject: Re: Gas tank recall info
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:41 am 
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Any hitch will work with the skid plate, nothing special about any of them that would require removing it. Dumbest thing I have heard that you have to lose the skid plate to have them mount their hitch.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:40 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Best I can tell you:
1. the issue is protection of the tank from a lowish speed rear end collision. DCJ fought tooth and nail to avoid installing the fuel tank skid in favor of the somewhat less protective installation of a Mopar hitch or inspection of your existing Mopar hitch if it came from the factory or was installed later and won so to speak.
2. as far as I know the recall hitch is identical to the original OEM Mopar hitch which can most certainly be installed "over" a factory fuel tank skid. If so it most certainly can be used to tow whatever it's rated to tow which should be marked on the hitch. That said it may not come with the receiver to which the ball mounts or trailer wiring which you would have to add before is could be used to tow.
3. never heard of the referenced "tool" to measure clearance and would demand to see the tool and paperwork requirement and get in writing that they refused to install the hitch without removal of the skid. Whether supplied or not I'd complain to the transportation safety commission folks and in no case would I accept loosing the fuel tank skid, that's nuts. FYI you are not "required" to accept the hitch although if you were ever in an accident and caught fire not having it would count against you if you tried to sue DCJ.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:37 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I think I might just take mine in to see if they'll sign off on it. Drink a couple cups of their coffee, watch a little TV, read a magazine or two.

NOT....! :ROTFL: :SOMBRERO:

2007 Wrangler - traded

2010 Wrangler Rubicon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:38 am 
LOST Member

That seems very strange. I have a KK, so I'm not affected by this recall, but we KK owners had our own gas tank related recall several years ago that entailed replacing the entire tank and fuel filler tube assembly. I had no issues at all with my local dealer, and even got a free full tank of fuel out of the deal. (I went in with a nearly empty one) Maybe your dealer is the issue. Have you tried a different one?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:32 pm 
LOST Member

So I just called my local Jeep dealer, they said they were waiting on the next shipment of parts. Which prompted me to ask what would they be installing guy at the dealer says a hitch. I reply with I already have one and his response is all we have to do is check it out.

31X10.5 Duratracs
Yukon / Motive Gear 4.10's

Aussie Locker. Safari Snorkel.
ARB Diff Guard
Soft 8 - X7 - 4" BS

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:59 am 
LOST Newbie

Yup I'm lucky to have waited over a month for my brand new crash tested sticker!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:12 am 
LOST Addict

My CRD goes in for the inspection on Oct. 21. I have the full Mopar skid plate package and tow package. Waiting to see what they do to it. Not sure why the CRD is included anyhow diesel is not volatile like petrol is, but I got the recall letters

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:05 am 
LOST Member

Took mine in last night in the UK and they told me that the Towbar that I have fitted was to close to the fuel tank and that they would take it off and replace it with a cross member.

I told them that I needed a tow bar and they said that I would have to pay for a suitable replacement Tow bar!

I told them not to bother and leave it as it is but I had to sign a disclaimer for them!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:34 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Is there confirmation yet on what they are actually installing? I'm suppose to go in as well, but have been avoiding it until I know what they are putting on. I have a used MOPAR hitch receiver that came factory on a Jeep Liberty KJ. It is kind of rusty, so I was hoping for a new hitch if they are installing one that is truly rated to tow.

I took the road less traveled. Now I'm LOST.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:12 pm 
LOST Junkie

Reeflodge, before signing the disclaimer, did you check with your insurer what the effect would be of signing it?

I ask, because if you've refused to have a safety item fitted, and you are involved in an accident (even if it is not a rear-ender), that MAY enable your insurer to refuse cover for that accident or even void the policy from the date of your refusal; if voided, then you have committed the offence of driving without insurance.

Light Khaki 2.8CRD: TJM alloy bumper; Skid Row &Asfir skids;ext. breathers; SAMCO hoses; Grabber At3 235/70/16; Fumoto; Euro TC; Odyssey PC1500;GDE FTEcotune; OME lift; lightforce driving lights;ARB diff cover;nylon fan+Hayden2905;ss vortex exhaust; Airflow snorkel; Frontrunner roofrack; rock rails

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:25 am 
LOST Member

Oh Great!

I can't understand why Jeep UK won't replace the Towbar free of charge like they are doing in the US.
Why should I fork out again to have another one fitted?

Its not my fault that they put they fuel tank in a dangerous place!

I think another call to Jeep customer service and then watchdog!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:56 am 
LOST Junkie

Me either. I do have a Mopar towbar (fitted soon after I bought the Jeep in 2006) and i use it to mount my bike carrier on the towball. If they try to replace that with a crossbeam, I will sue.

Light Khaki 2.8CRD: TJM alloy bumper; Skid Row &Asfir skids;ext. breathers; SAMCO hoses; Grabber At3 235/70/16; Fumoto; Euro TC; Odyssey PC1500;GDE FTEcotune; OME lift; lightforce driving lights;ARB diff cover;nylon fan+Hayden2905;ss vortex exhaust; Airflow snorkel; Frontrunner roofrack; rock rails

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:28 am 
LOST Member

I have just spoken with Jeep Customer Service in the US and they said that the recall that states the Tow Hitch will be replaced free of charge is the same in ALL COUNTRIES!

US Jeep Recall letter:- On vehicles in the recall that are equipped with an aftermarket tow hitch, Chrysler will assess whether the hitch and surrounding areas show evidence of sharp edges or other puncture risks. If so, Chrysler will replace the tow hitch with a Chrysler designed tow hitch free of charge.

UK Customer service say otherwise

UK Jeep Recall letter:-If your vehicle is fitted with an aftermarket towbar, it will be inspected for any evidence of sharp edges or other puncture risks, and the area surrounding the bar will be inspected for damage. if such evidence is identified the aftermarket towbar will be removed and a cross car beam installed free of charge.

Jeep US are looking into my query.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:17 pm 
LOST Junkie

Ok, had the check today, and my Mopar towbar is fine, no issues.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:30 pm 
LOST Newbie

I go in on Tuesday to see what I get. I have a Kilby skid and I really hope they just throw a new hitch on over it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:55 pm 
LOST Member

Jeep US have told me that its not their responsability and that it was down Jeep Europe who was no help at all!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:28 pm 
LOST Newbie

I had an aftermarket class 3 on my '04 KJ (Reese, I believe), and figured the dealer would take one look and pronounce it good to go. Much to my surprise, they replaced my crusty old receiver with a brand new Mopar class 3. Quite happy.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:39 am 
LOST Newbie

The dealership said the Kilby skid was better protection and that they wouldn't toss the hitch on, and that it wouldn't fit over the skid. I'm pretty sure they were just being lazy. That's rather annoying.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:01 pm 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

I'm going with lazy. It's a pain to install the receiver and the skid together. Mine was in Saturday and they checked mine off as good. (There's a Mopar hitch and Kilby skid)

03 Freedom with some neat stuff done to it that I learned about here.