It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: To Plastidip ...or not to Plastidip , that is the question
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:44 pm 
LOST Newbie

Has anyone had any experience with plastidip? Im looking to completly DECHROME the entire vehicle.... before i go straight to flat black enamel, I would like to try something a little less permanent. Any thoughts? Has anyone tried this? How much will i need? btw black is the only color ill go.

Post subject: Re: To Plastidip ...or not to Plastidip , that is the questi
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:05 pm 
LOST Member

I've used it on wheels but I actually prefer Rustoleum's Leakseal, it is more permanent and has a bit of a texture, similar to Rhino liner. The only downside is that it tends to fade in color but it could be "touched up" with regular spray paint which is a lot cheaper. Plastidip peels off, probably a decent idea for a non-permanent sample run but it'll be a witch to remove if you do decide to remove it. As for how much, it ends up being about a can per wheel for two coats. I say de-chrome!! I am not a fan of chrome myself...good luck.

In action on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oCq4Xa1lH4

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:52 am 
LOST Newbie

thats the thing i dont want ANYTHING permanent. Im looking to de chrome but keep the "JET" resale abitlity...just in case.Image im going for this.... the jeep renegade look. minus the hood. i think it looks sick and it will keep most of the ussualy scratch prone areas safe.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:36 pm 
LOST Newbie

I live on a gravel road and I plasti-dipped my rims and they look good over a year later. Follow the directions, several light coats is critical. I bought a pack of note cards and stood them up between the rim and the tire to keep the spray off the tires. If you ever do get a spot that peels off you can just re-apply.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:52 pm 
LOST Newbie

If you plan to wheel at all, I'd stay away from plasti-dipping wheels, the stuff gets ripped off with any contact, however I've de-chromed mine with plasti dip in other areas, such as the grille and the Liberty trim on the sides of the doors and such, it works great for things that don't make contact with anything, it peels off easy enough with a little effort if you decide to remove it. I did all the trim 3 coats with 2 cans of black, excluding the wheels. When I did my wheels the first time I did 3 coats on each wheel and used 3 full cans on the wheels alone. The bad thing about plasti-dip is that it can't really be touched up, but it is easy enough to hit completely redo.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:31 pm 
LOST Newbie

Truck bedliner?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:42 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

NorthwoodsMike wrote:
Truck bedliner?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please say you are joking, very bad idea

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 12:53 pm 
LOST Newbie

ive been testing the water with plasti dip and similar products on my 1/10 scale rc bodies.
plasti dip is the best so far. the more coats, the longer it lasts.

don't expect it to stay on if you are actually wheeling your rig. if it gets damaged, tape it off and just reapply. no big deal. if you don't want to peel it off, plasti dip sells a product you spray on and it turns the dip back into liquid and you can just pressure wash it off. simple.

dupli color's version is absolute crap. zero coverage. i used 11 coats and i could see through the product.

rustoleum is supposed to be good but i find it needs more coats to get the same coverage as plasti dip.

all my own experience but hey, id say get a small project piece, try it out and see if you like it. if not it comes off. just remember the MOST IMPORTANT THING. LAY IT ON WITH MANY LAYERS. if its too thin, it will be a witch to remove. if you put 4 to 6 moderate layers it should peel right off. :o