It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Transfer case question
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:47 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hello, this is my first post here. In fact, my first post anywhere.
I'm the new owner of an old 2002 Jeep Liberty 4x4, auto trans, and the 3.7.
Jeep has 182,000 miles and seems to run and drive good.
I noticed when in 4wd, and under acceleration, it made a bad clunking sound, similar to when a dirtbike chain skips teeth on the sprocket.
I am not a mechanic, by the way, but I did a little online research and my first fix was the joint on the rear of the front drive shaft.
That did need to be fixed, but didn't fix the problem. After some advice, (not sure if it was good, or bad) I looked into a stretched drive chain. Seemed to make sense to me, since that is what is sounded like.
Did a lot of online research, and split the case while still on the jeep. While taking it apart, I noticed my case was different than all of the parts diagrams, and disassembly instructions I could find for a np231.
I worked around it, and got it apart. My case is in fact an np231, but doesn't have the part labeled "rear extension housing" on all the parts diagrams, and a few other differences I found.
My case has a rubber boot instead. My case also has an "oil slinger", that online parts sites label as "will not fit your vehicle".
What am I missing? Is there more than one style of the np231?
And if so, how do I order the parts I need for mine, without getting the wrong parts for the other style?
If this is a dumb question, I apologize in advance, but I can't seem to find anyone who can answer it.
I did email my list of needed parts to quadratec, as they requested, with a pic of my ID Tag, but I have yet to hear back, and I need to get this thing on the road as soon as I can.
Can someone point me in the right direction?
Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: Transfer case question
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:03 am 
LOST Member

You need to contact your local transmission shop with your VIN and id tag from the tcase. They'll have you sorted out in no time.