It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hit a bump and all the trouble lights come on (2002 KJ)
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:54 am 
LOST Newbie

Hey everyone,

I recently acquired a 2002 Jeep Liberty. I noticed a hoperfully minor issue. While crossing a railroad track, going over a bridge, or hitting a decent bump, all the trouble lights in the dash come on. By this I mean the check engine light, oil light, trans temp light ect, and they all go off after they come on. Not sure if its related or not but sometimes it will randomly ding going down the road like something on the dash came on but there's nothing there.

Just curious if anyone has a similar issue and where I should start to fix it. Its more of a annoyance than anything.

Thanks in advance!

Post subject: Re: Hit a bump and all the trouble lights come on (2002 KJ)
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:37 pm 
LOST Newbie

I'd check the battery. I got the same disco lights behaviour over uneven roads, the battery had lost a cell. Replaced battery, all back to normal.

Jeep KJ 2007 Sport 3.7L 42RLE NV242 :: Detroit TrueTrac LSD F&R :: BDS 2" Lift Kit :: JBA Upper Control Arms :: Teraflex bump stops :: Bilstein Offroad Front Struts :: Mopar skid plates :: Eibach 1.25" spacers :: 245/70/16 Cooper Discoverer AT3 tyres :: Optima Yellow Top battery :: Mopar tow hooks :: Mopar slush mats :)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:18 am 
LOST Junkie

Could be the battery or a loose connection somewhere....even a loose fuse or a poor ground point!

Check the Odometer readout when you get the "Ding"... if the rear glass is open or washer water is low it displays a message along with the Ding....may flash some quick message at you!

The BCM...which is on the rear side of the internal fuse panel...controls those lamps so it may be worth your while to disconnect the battery and re-plug the connectors on the BCM module. :?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:26 pm 
LOST Member

If it's not the battery or a loose ground, it could also be the 'multi-function switch' basically the two stalks alongside the steering wheel and a 'box' that connects them.

The dimmer switch is notorious for pooping out and the dash will light up/dim randomly, interior lights might also flash, in addition to random 'dings'.

Good luck - I don't like problems like this one. On the other hand, enjoy your new jeep! Welcome.

OME 927/Ironman, 1/4" plate, 3-ring clevis 21.5"
OME 948/OME + 2 Iso's Rear 22"
JBA UCAs
Bumper and winch
2x5 rockers/steps
Dynomax Ultra-Flo Welded
Custom pinstriping
Custom rear interior shelf
SS drop table
Soon:
Rear bumper
WRX seats
All the skids

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 6:19 pm 
LOST Newbie

OP, you aren't alone in this. I had this happen a few weeks ago a couple times after hitting one of New Jersey's notorious rough patches on the interstate. Dinged, lit up and went away. I have a feeling it could be the dimmer/turn signal switch like someone else said. I've read on here before that it can cause lights to flicker. I every now and then have my interior lights turn on and off real quick when I turn with the turn signal on. It's never been too much of a nuisance so I haven't replaced it yet.