It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: No Heat in Jeep?!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:00 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hi all,

I am hoping to get some advice/suggestions for problems with my 3.7L 2008 Jeep Liberty KK from the gurus on this forum, as I am at a loss!

I found this great thread outlining some common issues: viewtopic.php?f=104&t=80240
And saw some excellent write-ups on heating issues, I would like some guidance just to determine and diagnose what my actual issue before going and taking anything apart!

Here are the symptoms:

- Heat works only on the lowest fan setting, and it comes out lukewarm, not really too hot.
When the car is warmed up and I initially turn the heat on it is hot, then get progressively cooler to lukewarm.

- No Heat on any other setting but low. The air is either neutral or cold when on any of the other fan speeds.

- The radiator coolant level was below low, I have topped it up more than a week ago and no leaks, and no major loss of coolant.

- I ran the car for 15 mins with the heat on, and checked both the inlet and outlets to the heater core from inside the engine bay, and both are hot.

- Car temperature never goes above half - no overheating issues. (Car does not take long to warm up either, but stays steady at half)

- A/C works great, always freezing cold.

Not sure if anyone has dealt with this before, I am hoping I can get this fixed before winter truly hits as we have a new baby. If not will have to take it in somewhere and take the, I can only imagine, massive bill.

Much appreciated for any help given!

Bajan

Post subject: Re: No Heat in Jeep?!
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:24 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

since it was low, should bleed your coolant system to make sure you dont have air trapped in your heater core
but it sounds a bit symtomatic of a flopping blend door

also find the leak, check below the water pump for coolant stains and the drivers side top corner area of the radiator
theyre probably the two most common areas to develop leaks

Lift: ft. 790+ rr. JBA4+
The last of the TrailReady Front&Rear Bumpers and TR Rock Rails
Jarhead Offroad light covers
31x10.5R15 RedLetter Grabbers on Blackrock Dunes
L.O.S.T #KD098632

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:43 am 
LOST Newbie

The first thing you'll want to do is check the coolant level. The coolant may be low and there is air in the heater core, no coolant to give you heat. You could have a water pump or a radiator tank leaking slowly and have not seen any puddles under the Jeep. Radiators on the older Libertys seem to be starting to leak in recent months. Under the hood on the firewall you will find the coolant bottle, the coolant level should be between the full and add marks. If for some reason you can't see through the bottle, with the engine cool remove the cap and take a look in. If it's low top it off with HOAT coolant and run the engine until it's hot before replacing the radiator cap, this will bleed the air out of the cooling system and you should have heat again.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:04 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Speculation from a KJ CRD owner. Check the 2 hoses going to the firewall and hence to the heater core; what you are looking for is whether or not you have a valve that opens/closes flow to the heater core. I suspect you don't in which case with the vehicle warmed up and heat off open the hood and by hand feel both hoses. Are they both very hot and about equally hot. If yes I suspect you have a blend door problem inside the HVAC system in the cabin. Are they both only slightly warm or is one noticeably cooler than the other. If either answer is yes then I suspect you have a partially clogged heater core in which case you can pull the heater inflow and outflow lines and GENTLY back flush the heater core with a garden hose.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:27 am 
LOST Newbie

Hi all,

I have done a coolant flush and a backflush on the heater core as well. Still have no heat in the cabin :(

I think @papaindigo you might be right on with the suggestion with the blend door.

Does anyone know where I could find some info/diagram on where the primary blend door for heat/cold could be? or steps to check?

Thanks for your assistance!!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:30 pm 

Factory Mopar Parts has them for $31 bucks: > http://www.factorymoparparts.com/jeep/l ... e=actuator

Actuator is located on right side of HVAC box, access it under dash on passenger side... :wink:
Item no. 9 on the image:>

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:25 pm 
LOST Newbie

WWDiesel wrote:
Factory Mopar Parts has them for $31 bucks: > http://www.factorymoparparts.com/jeep/l ... e=actuator

Actuator is located on right side of HVAC box, access it under dash on passenger side... :wink:
Item no. 9 on the image:>

awesome, will take a look now. Should this be accessible via the glovebox? I was reading that the actuator replacement requires pulling the dash :(

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:11 pm 

bajanJeep wrote:
awesome, will take a look now. Should this be accessible via the glovebox? I was reading that the actuator replacement requires pulling the dash :(

Not sure on an 08, but I am sure there are some on this forum who can guide you!
Also search Youtube videos, probably some out there that will walk you through the R&R procedures... :wink:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve