It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: kk will turn over but won't start without wide open throttle
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:40 pm 
LOST Newbie

So a few weeks ago, I made a post about my KK idling really rough at start, and I seemed to have solved that issue by simply changing the plugs and cleaning the throttle body. Everything worked great for about week and now, a new problem has risen.

When I go to start my jeep it will turn over but won't start. If I hold the throttle wide open it will stubbornly fire up after an attempt or two. If I turn the key without the accelerator down it just makes a weird clicking noise from under the hood and it will continue until i pull the key out. It's fairly random, but daily. For example, this morning I woke up and went to the gym. Fired up perfectly in the driveway, worked out for 45 minutes, came out and it didn't want to start, after 2 or 3 attempts it finally fired up. Left for work at 8:30, had a rough start, went to advanced and bought some seafoam (hail mary) and it didn't want to start again! Stopped by a gas station, grabbed a coffee, then it fired right up. Drove to work, left at 5:45 and it had a very rough start.

I'm obviously no mechanic, but I have no idea whats happening with this thing. Beginning to believe I've got a lemon.

Any ideas?

Post subject: Re: kk will turn over but won't start without wide open thro
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:28 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Without actually being there and doing some tests I'd say you have a leaking fuel injector(s) flooding the engine on a warm restart.

"Holding the pedal to the floor" on a FI engine just shuts off the fuel while cranking to clear a flooded engine.Pumping the gas pedal on a FI engine does nothing.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:44 pm 
LOST Newbie

What tests would you recommend to narrow it down? On a scale of zero to "Take it to the shop", how hard would it be to replace the leaky fuel injector if that's the issue?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:08 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

robbiecobb wrote:
What tests would you recommend to narrow it down? On a scale of zero to "Take it to the shop", how hard would it be to replace the leaky fuel injector if that's the issue?

I'd drive it till fully warmed up(when issue starts) and hook up a fuel pressure test gauge and then start engine(or try) and read the PSI.Shut off if it started and watch pressure gauge,it should not drop more then 20psi in 30mins.If it drops much,much faster then you need a more advance pressure test kit to isolate the injectors and pump to see which one is bleeding down since it's a "returnless" system.