It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Jeep Liberty KJ 2.5CRD dip stick
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:18 am 
LOST Newbie

I have just bought a Jeep Liberty (Cherokee)KJ 2.5CRD - 2004 model and I suspect that it has the incorrect motor oil level dipstick. The present dipstick has an overall length of 584mm and when I filled the motor with the required 6.5 liters of oil (with filter change), started the motor and switched off and measured the oil level with the dipstick - oil level was way over the full mark on the dipstick. I suspect that the dipstick I have is for the 2.8CRD. Can anyone tell me what the correct dipstick length is for my motor? I think it should be around 560mm long. The dipstick does not have a Jeep part number on it and Jeep have no idea what the correct length should be!

Post subject: Re: Jeep Liberty KJ 2.5CRD dip stick
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:37 am 
LOST Junkie

Ian Glass wrote:
I have just bought a Jeep Liberty (Cherokee)KJ 2.5CRD - 2004 model and I suspect that it has the incorrect motor oil level dipstick. The present dipstick has an overall length of 584mm and when I filled the motor with the required 6.5 liters of oil (with filter change), started the motor and switched off and measured the oil level with the dipstick - oil level was way over the full mark on the dipstick. I suspect that the dipstick I have is for the 2.8CRD. Can anyone tell me what the correct dipstick length is for my motor? I think it should be around 560mm long. The dipstick does not have a Jeep part number on it and Jeep have no idea what the correct length should be!

Are you in the UK?

I have exactly the same issue with my South African 2.5 Export CRD....replaced oil filter (Mopar) and oil with the stated 6.5 L and likewise have the dipstick showing way too much.

So I think you have the correct dipstick but maybe the specified 6.5 L oil is for a bone dry motor....I know the USA owners with their 2.8 L models have a similar problem where the top of the level is actually too much oil!

I will have a look at my KJs dipstick later but pretty sure it will be the same as yours! :wink:

OK I am very confused here!

I checked the motor oil dipstick on my 2002 2.5 Export CRD Sport manual.

The length of the oil dipstick from the end to the bottom of the yellow handle....where the dipstick stops at it furthest depth...is 820 mm..

The 2004 Parts fiche gives both 2.5 and 2.8 dipstick PN as: 05072682AB while the 2006 Parts Fiche gives the PN for the 2.8
L CRD as: 05142662AB. :?

I think some engines have the oil filter mounted further down on a long extension tube....which would take a bit more oil...while some are shown without this long tube and the oil filter is mounted further up but dipstick PN stays the same!

You will need to find a 2.5 L CRD owner in the UK to check the length....my SA model may be different!

You sure you have not converted inches to millimeters? :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:31 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I would not worry much about length. On 05/06 KJ CRD may or may not be off on any particular vehicle. To do:
1. do a oil/filter change using standard or oversize filter AND using the correct amount of oil based on filter size
2. crank up for say 30 seconds to fill the filter
3. shut engine down and let sit for at least 15 minutes on dead level ground
4. recheck oil level and mark dipstick as that is the correct full fill level for whatever filter size you are using.

Notes:
a. dead level is important - I've found even the slight slope up of my driveway can drastically change dipstick reading
b. remember the CRD has tiny oil passages so it takes a while for oil to drain into the sump and provide a correct reading.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:23 pm 
LOST Member

2.5 and 2.8 have the same oil capacity 6 litres for oil and filter change. Used several web sites and all have stated 6 litres.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:01 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

lacabrera - your statement is true if and only if the OEM stock size filter is used. Some of us are using an oversize filter hence use more oil during a filter/oil change to have enough to fill the larger filter and sump to the proper level.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:54 am 
LOST Member

papaindigo wrote:
lacabrera - your statement is true if and only if the OEM stock size filter is used. Some of us are using an oversize filter hence use more oil during a filter/oil change to have enough to fill the larger filter and sump to the proper level.

True, I should have said with OEM filter. Even with the standard filter 6 litres takes the oil level just above the high mark.