It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 08 KK coolant leak
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:10 am 
LOST Newbie

I just purchased an 08 Liberty with 58k on it. Everything was great until I got home and the Jeep was idling in my driveway for a few minutes. I noticed some white smoke/ steam coming from the front grill. Underneath I noticed some drips on the ground in the area of the radiator. The coolant expansion tank is empty, and it was definitely within range when I purchased the Jeep.

I took a peek underneath and noticed that the hoses were wet around this port. I am not very familiar with the cooling system, so I was just going to take it to the shop. The radiator was just replaced. If all it is closing this port it would be great if I could take care of it myself. Any help is appreciated.

Imageimagehost

Post subject: Re: 08 KK coolant leak
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:16 am 
LOST Addict

If that is the valve that drains the radiator, you may have just found the issue. I can't tell from the photo, though. Is the fluid dripping from the spigot or is its leaking from somewhere else? The drain valve might not be fully closed or it may be defective if this is a brand new radiator. Glad you found this out before your motor overheated.

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates
Rock Lizard Skink Super Sliders
AtTheHelm Front Recovery System & Roof Rack

M116A3 Trailer build thread: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=77997

Post subject: Re: 08 KK coolant leak
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:56 am 
LOST Newbie

Thanks for the response. I believe it came from the spigot. It looks like it's sprayed around that area. From what I've read the drain should've been in the vertical position. I'm going to put some coolant in and see if I get the same problem. I don't really have access to a pressure tester.