It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Suspension pop
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:29 pm 
LOST Member

About a month ago I had an axle seal leak on passenger side which Midas installed (mopar seal that I took to them) About 2 weeks ago I started getting a binding pop sound on the passenger side. I took it back to Midas and of course they don't hear it. Got progressively worse and more frequent.

Sound happens when I first start backing out with a cold vehicle, sometimes on the freeway but usually when I am slower (20-30 mph) as I slow. It is not consistent and happens 2-3 times per 20-30 mile trip.

I suspected cv axle due to research and they were aftermarket. I had the OEM ones still, so I had them rebuilt and I installed them this morning. Aftermarket axle was definitely bad. Unfortunately, noise is still there. It is not as bad but the same noise all the same.

Upper a arms are JBA and ball joint replaced about a year ago. Lower ball joint replaced last year and is a Moog greasable one. Tie rods also replaced last year. Do I just need to start replacing ball joints? What else could it be?

Only other thing I have done was replace turbo exhaust clamp. I went ahead and loosened exhaust + clamp and reseated everything with no change (I am not hearing any exhaust leaks).

Appreciate any help I can get. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Suspension pop
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:20 am 
LOST Member

The lower ball joint is pretty easy to test. Jack up the front so that tire is up in the air a few inches and use a 2x4 or pry bar to try to lever the tire up. There shouldn't be a lot of play in the ball joint. if the wheel moves up like 1/4" +, time for a new ball joint. Visually inspect the boot also, change the ball joint if the boot is leaking or split.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mpMRXWZpOY

Also, test to make sure that the lower A-arm bolts are snug. My front end started making clicking noises when breaking after a tire shop did the alignment. The driver side nuts weren't tightened all the way to 125 ft-lbs. More like 70 ft-lbs. I tightened them up and then checked the passenger side. The clicking noises went away immediately.

Warn 4x Floods
ARB bumper
TeraFlex extended front bumpstops
Rock Lizard Skink Super Sliders
Bosch Size 86 battery
Jeepin by Al's 4.5 UC Arms
Kryptonite Differential Cover
JBA Bolt on KJ Tri-Angulated 4 Link

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:22 pm 
LOST Member

I'll give that a try, thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:58 pm 
LOST Member

Think I may have found the problem. On the lower control arm the nuts do not appear to have been torqued down to 120 ft-lbs. You don't have to touch them (at least I don't) for changing the cv axle or axle seal (the work Midas did) so I didn't think to check them until I noticed it looked different than driver side.

Question on bolt placement, on driver side I see on head side of bolt a washer that seems to be held in place by stubs on either side. On threaded side I can feel the hole is larger than bolt but nut seems to be holding bolt essentially right in the middle (or at least covering the hole entirely) on the passenger side the nut is all the way down and left and I can see a portion of the hole. I can see some scraped paint (circular) near the top of hole. I don't know if that is where it was to start with or if the clunk was caused by the movement in the hole which then in turn caused paint scrape.

Where should it be? I am tempted to put it so it matches driver's side but don't know if it really matters? Follow on question would be what do I need to do? I am assuming easiest way is take tire off, loosen nut move into position, tighten.
Will this have any affect on alignment?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:31 pm 
LOST Member

So it is fixed now. Lower control arm nuts were loose. Midas tried to say they did not do it but agreed to give me a free alignment + other stuff to compensate. Took 5 tries to get the alignment right. Needless to say I will not be back, even for the free stuff...