It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Appaling road holding in the wet
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:07 am 
LOST Newbie

I picked up a 2004 Liberty KJ 2.8CRD for a song. Really pleased with it apart from one thing (maybe two - poor mpg). The road holding on corners if the road is wet or greasy is just appaling/almost dangerous. Takes literally no provocation whatsoever before the back end brakes free. Take a foot off the gas and she straightens out, however, that's not to say I drive with a heavy right foot...I don't. Even being aware of it, she still catches me out. Tyres are all Toyos with a very healthy amount of tread left. I used to own a Chrysler 300C and thought it was tail happy, however, this is in a whole different league!

Post subject: Re: Appaling road holding in the wet
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:26 am 
LOST Junkie

Only time I had an issue in the wet on mine was with the factory stock tires.....they were garbage.

Sounds like you need new tires, unless you have a suspension issue with some worn parts.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Provent @ 43,000 km
SEGR in progress
SAMCO Sport hoses @ 48500 km
Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac LT225/75R16

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:11 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Just saying tires are Toyos with tread doesn't tell me that they are the proper Toyos for the CRD. For example thin sidewall tires could contribute to a loose rear end as could over/under inflating tires. If not tires a qualified someone needs to fully inspect the rear suspension.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:51 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

almost described like it's got a locker, for the cost of a rear diff fluid change if it were mine, and i had just gotten it and didn't know the vehicles full history, of fluid changes and such, i wouldn't balk to at the very least do a rear diff fluid change to put eyes on and at least eliminate the possibility that the PO had a locker installed

not that i'd have a problem with that, but it would keep me from chasing my tail considering the CRD makes enough racket knockin about when turning to mask the noise of a locker, or a DTT which doesn't make noise.

when i give mine more than about 1/3rd throttle in the rain when turning with the locker tagged, its no longer turning, it's drifting. just sayin'

Lift: ft. 790+ rr. JBA4+
The last of the TrailReady Front&Rear Bumpers and TR Rock Rails
Jarhead Offroad light covers
31x10.5R15 RedLetter Grabbers on Blackrock Dunes
L.O.S.T #KD098632

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:23 pm 
LOST Newbie

Not all tires handle wet pavement well. I'd look up reviews and specs on the exact model of Toyo tire you have, and see if it is perhaps a summer only rated tire with poor wet track performance. My last set of Kuhmo tires on a previous vehicle I had were exactly that.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:46 pm 
LOST Newbie

I just bought some Cooper Discoverer AT3's and they have been amazing in wet, snow and ice. By far the best Ive owned. Hope this helps...