It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bought a 2005 CRD and died on the way home.
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:36 pm 
LOST Newbie

A little history. I was looking for a CRD. Came across one that had a new factory head, timing belt, water pump and glow plugs. Also had 5 new wrangler tires. Was a good deal. It has a 24,000 warranty on the work. only about 1000 miles on it since he got it back in July. I asked my diesel if he knew the shop that did the work and he did. They are friends of his and he said they do good work. I called the shop and they said it was a good car. They have a couple they use for parts cars and like them. I test drove it for a while and it ran great.

So, I bought it. Was on my way home and it was running like a champ. Really looking forward to taking it into the mountains and getting a GDE eco tuner for it. 10 miles for where I got it i was slowing down to get off the highway an it died. No warning, just like someone had turned the key off. It would not start back up. After sitting for about 10 minutes it started right up. Got 7 miles to my neighborhood and was slowing down to turn the corner and it died. Again after sitting for 10 minutes it started up and I drove the last mile to the house where it died when I pulled up.

I got up the next morning and again it fired right up. I was doing some work in the garage and decided to let it idle. Ran fine for almost 30 minutes. Hopped in and went about 100 yards when again I slowed down to make a turn and it died. Had to push it home. Now it will not start at all.

I checked and there are RPMs when trying to start so the CPS should be good. The guy said he had changed the fuel filter after have the engine work done. I have read where air in the fuel is an issue. I am planning on pulling the filter head this weekend and putting on a new filter. A quick point. It does not hold prime. You can pump it and bleed the system. After cranking it for 5 seconds twice there is not prime on the filter head. And, it is not throwing a code. I have a basic code reader and there is nothing. I know someone with a Snap On scanner and he is going to scan it this weekend.

I do not have to mess with it this week due to work so it is sitting till the weekend. Now I could use suggestions on where to start.

Post subject: Re: Bought a 2005 CRD and died on the way home.
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:08 pm 
LOST Addict

The crank sensor is sensitive to heat so what you describe could be a crank sensor problem.
But it could also be a air in fuel problem.

Does you fuel filter head have a blue wire connector on it?
If not, you should consider replacing the fuel filter assembly. A new unit will include new wiring connections.
You should also consider adding a lift pump and/or fixing the connections back at the tank.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:11 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
X4 (I think he's right on both issues. Crank sensor, and in-tank pump should make it a happy CRD)

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:01 am 
LOST Newbie

flash7210 wrote:
The crank sensor is sensitive to heat so what you describe could be a crank sensor problem.
But it could also be a air in fuel problem.

Does you fuel filter head have a blue wire connector on it?
If not, you should consider replacing the fuel filter assembly. A new unit will include new wiring connections.
You should also consider adding a lift pump and/or fixing the connections back at the tank.

I would think since the tach is showing about 150-200 RPMs when trying to start that would mean the CPS is working. I am out of town working. Not sure which filter head is on it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:35 am 
LOST Addict

Never mind the rpms, I agree it's the cps. It's a prox sensor and is probably giving the ecu a signal that it doesn't like.

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:55 am 
LOST Newbie

Mountainman wrote:
Never mind the rpms, I agree it's the cps. It's a prox sensor and is probably giving the ecu a signal that it doesn't like.

easy fix, I will start with that this weekend. Does this happen and not throw a code?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:33 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
Absolutely yes.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:20 pm 
LOST Addict

I just can't remember if the cam sensor can cause the same symptoms (you might search lost jeeps with Google), although they fail much less often.

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:01 pm 
LOST Newbie

I'm back. Got any pictures showing old vs new fuel heads. Gong to call NAPA about a crank sensor.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:36 pm 

RCS wrote:
I'm back. Got any pictures showing old vs new fuel heads. Gong to call NAPA about a crank sensor.

Autozone has them, Part Number: SU8492 for ~ $50 bucks.
fyi: It come in an Autozone box, but is a Bosch OEM part.... :wink:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:05 pm 
LOST Newbie

WWDiesel wrote:
RCS wrote:

Autozone has them, Part Number: SU8492 for ~ $50 bucks.
fyi: It come in an Autozone box, but is a Bosch OEM part.... :wink:

not a part they carry in stock. will have to order and said it would take 3-4 business days. NAPA has one in stock for 20 more. Don't want to wait another week.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:10 pm 
LOST Newbie

Well, it was not the crank position sensor. I put a new one on and still nothing. I am going to order a lift pump tomorrow. Is the Carter as good as the Mopar. The Mopar is about twice as much. A diesel mechanic I know said to only get the Mopar. I was not planning on having to do all this on a vehicle I just bought. Other than the test drive and the brief drive home I have not gotten to drive it yet. Kind of sucks.

I have never been a fan of banjo bolts. I might switch them out for some better fittings. It does have the upgrade fuel head on it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:46 am 
LOST Newbie

I need some help. I put a new crank position sensor and nothing. Today I put a new fuel filter on it and nothing. I can pump it up and after trying to start it has no prime at all. The fuel head is new. I ordered a lift pump. It has been 3 weeks and still no start since getting it home. It is not ever acting like it wants to start. I need to some ideas on where to look.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:59 am 
LOST Addict

You need to make sure fuel is getting up to the rail.
Crack open one of the hard metal fuel lines and then start cranking the engine. If fuel starts dripping out then its getting fuel.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:54 pm 
LOST Addict

Where are you located? You might get someone nearby to take a look at it.

Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:06 pm 

Mountainman wrote:
Where are you located? You might get someone nearby to take a look at it.

Good question,
Also, have you scanned it for any codes? Might help in diagnosing issue...

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:39 pm 
LOST Newbie

I'm in south Denver. I have a basic code reader and it comes up with "No Codes read". It is not throwing a code or a CEL. The lift pump should be here tomorrow. Weather sucks so I will not be putting it in this weekend.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:44 pm 
LOST Newbie

Update, still will not start. So I am now $600 into trying to get this thing to start after buying it and it dying on the why home from picking it up. The wife is really, really, really pissed.

i ordered a lift pump and wire harness from Sasquatch parts. Got here quick. I put it in yesterday. Before you could prime it and turn the key for 10 seconds and go back and it would be full of air like it was not primed. If you let is sit for a while you wold lose prime. I have a diesel mech friend that loaned me a smoker and yesterday before putting in the lift pump we smoked tested the fuel system. I did not see any leaks. But, it was a windy day.

Now, with the lift pump in you can hear it kick on and prime the system. If you try to pump the head manually it starts off pretty stiff and after 3-4 pumps it goes limp and will not pump back up.

It has the new head on it. It looks like it is pretty new. Is it possible it has a bad fuel head? is it possible it might be leaking from the bleeder valve? I can't keep throwing a couple hundred ideas at this to try to get it to run.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:11 pm 
LOST Addict

RCS wrote:
Update, still will not start. So I am now $600 into trying to get this thing to start after buying it and it dying on the why home from picking it up. The wife is really, really, really pissed.

i ordered a lift pump and wire harness from Sasquatch parts. Got here quick. I put it in yesterday. Before you could prime it and turn the key for 10 seconds and go back and it would be full of air like it was not primed. If you let is sit for a while you wold lose prime. I have a diesel mech friend that loaned me a smoker and yesterday before putting in the lift pump we smoked tested the fuel system. I did not see any leaks. But, it was a windy day.

Now, with the lift pump in you can hear it kick on and prime the system. If you try to pump the head manually it starts off pretty stiff and after 3-4 pumps it goes limp and will not pump back up.

It has the new head on it. It looks like it is pretty new. Is it possible it has a bad fuel head? is it possible it might be leaking from the bleeder valve? I can't keep throwing a couple hundred ideas at this to try to get it to run.

You have a lift pump now. Stop trying to pump it manually.
Open the bleed screw and turn on the key. Fuel should come spurting out the bleeder.
If not, keep cycling the key until it does. Then close the bleeder.

The lift pump should be pressurizing the entire fuel line from the tank up to the CP3 inlet. Any leaks will be visible.
If the lift pump is pumping and then loosing prime once shut off, the check valve in the filter head is bad.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:21 pm 
LOST Newbie

I am so over the excitement of owning a diesel jeep. I have 2 other diesel vehicles right now and never as much issues as this. I decided to bypass the fuel head and put an inline clear filter on. Turned the key and the lift pump did its thing. It filled the filter about 2/3. Held the filter with the out flow going down and had the neighbor turn the key. IT DID NOT START. it did not fill up the rest of the filter. You can see fuel coming in but the level does not change. I scanned for codes and as usual there were NO :furious: codes. The profanity I have used on this vehicle is more than 15 years with my Cummins. My mech friend scanned it with his SNAP ON and got a P2294 code once. He cleared it and it did not come back put it still did not start. My basic code reader has always found nothing. Can a pressure regulator go bad and not throw a code? Due to work schedule it will be 3 weeks before I can deal with this again.