It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Buying a Used 4x4
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:19 pm 
LOST Newbie

I already have an 04 Liberty Renegade 4x2 and I am thinking about buying a used Liberty 4x4. I am also new to the 4x4 world so I am not sure what to look for when buying a used one. I am not too concerned about "abused" 4x4 KJs here in the flatlands Florida since there really isn't a lot of trails they can be abused, especially in the Tampa area. But I am sure there some out there that may have been misused by newbies like me.

Any tips on what to look for and what to avoid? (How about a 2000 - 2002 4x4 XJ as an alternative?)

Why a 4x4 in Florida, you might ask? Reading all the fun you guys are having honestly is making me want to go out and do it. I don't mind driving far and away to find the trails. I though of buying a TJ but for our "lifestyle" it's a little too impractical. We need 4 doors among other things.

L.O.S.T. #000472
245/75/16 Dueler AT REVO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 2:15 pm 
LOST Addict

are you replacing the 04, or adding to the family with another vehicle?

As much as I like the liberty, I can't see why I'd want to have more than one of any kind of car, Liberty included. If you already have a liberty, why not try an XJ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 2:23 pm 
LOST Addict

Se7enLC wrote:

As much as I like the liberty, I can't see why I'd want to have more than one of any kind of car, Liberty included. If you already have a liberty, why not try an XJ?

Originally, we bought the Renegade 4x2 for our first "family car". I wasn't even looking to buy a Jeep, specifically. Then once we've had it for a while, we really love how it handled. Then we got bitten by the Jeep Thing ... and now we added a 4x4 to the family :D

My 3 year-old already corrected someone the other day --- "no, that's not a car, that's my daddy's Jeep" :-)r

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 3:04 pm 
LOST Member

They make 4x2 Rennies? :o

But if you want to add on to your collection, get a TJ. I love my Libby with all my heart, but the TJ, YJ, and CJ will always be #1 in my heart. It's impractical in one way, yes, but as a four-wheeler, it can't be beat. Unless we're talking about laying down the seats with the one you love and listening to Barry White. That's totally different. The KJ makes that simple AND off-roads quite well.

Otherwise, I'd go with an XJ, as mentioned. Those Jeeps could take a beating.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:18 pm 
LOST Newbie

Any tips on what to look for in a used 4x4, whether it is a KJ or an XJ? Any tell-tale signs of abused or misused 4x4 components?

L.O.S.T. #000472
245/75/16 Dueler AT REVO

Post subject: hmm best of both worlds
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 3:06 pm 
LOST Newbie

If you are keeping the KJ
AND
would be traveling long distance ....
...my advice would be to get a good used wrangler and tow it with the KJ.

That way:
1. your long trips will still be in comfort and style (in the KJ)
2. if something should happen to your off roader then you still have a way home
3. nothing beats showing up at a trail head with a Jeep and a backup Jeep.

(_l_|_,\____\,_
{----__---_(olllllllo)
()_)"""""()_)--"--)_)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 5:07 pm 
LOST Member

When I was shopping for a 4X4 back in Feb. I was looking at 01 XJ's and 02-04 KJ's. I had a sales guy tell me an XJ he had on the lot had never been off-road and the 4-wheel drive on it haddn't ever been used either.

First of all if what the sales guys was telling me was true, there was no way in hell I was buying that jeep. From what I understand not using the 4WD over a 2 month period, let alone over 4 or 5 year period, is not good.

Secondly I not sure I believed that guy since a fog light was knocked out and the bumper had a few cracks :wink:

I'm no mechanic, but if you know anyone who is it's a good idea to take a second test drive with that person before you buy as well. And shop around! I shopped for 2 months ... got my 02 KJ 4x4 limited with 30,000 miles for $13,500

Post subject: Why have a 4X4 in FL. you ask?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 5:31 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Becasue you can drive it out to Moab like "camper" did and have a great time with us...hehehe No really..."Camper" is in FL and he wheels his KJ as well. He did drive all the way to Moab UT. last year and we had a great time. maybe plan some trips to other local events when you get the 4X4 and I am sure some of the other KJ guys will help you get started in the off road world. There ain't no going back once you start ...thats for dang sure... later...Clint

KE7JLP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:44 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Yeah man...its addicting alright....

I'm looking for a 12 step Jeep recovery program...

"Hi...my names Jeff and ...Im a Jeep addict"....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:49 pm 
LOST Member

Lately i've been doing alot of work on my neighbors son's XJ. That 4.0 is a VERY solid engine. But there's a trick. If you're gonna get a XJ 4X4 and want the last generation body style, go 97-99. 2000 and 2001 (last two years built) Chrysler put a different head on them and it was a piece of crap and ended up leaking before too long. The trick is if you look at one, look for "0630" stamped on the head (right where the valve cover meats the head on the drivers side of the engine). If it doesnt say 0630, stay away from it. Another thing to take into consideration on them is in 2000 Chrysler also switched it to the "distributorless ignition system"....not too sure how well that worked on them.

As far as any used 4X4 goes. Take it to a nice open parking lot and do some low speed test shifts in and out of all the 4 wheel drive modes. Low speed cause of the "dont use it on dry pavement" thing. Take note of how well it does or doesnt shift in and out. Should go in somewhat smooth on both vehicles being that to my knowledge, they share the same t-cases.

Once you purchase one, go ahead and whether you do it yourself or pay somebody to do it, and go fluid changing crazy. Tranny, diffs, t-case, all the important stuff. It may or may not need it, but look at it this way.....if you do it now, you know for sure the last time it was done, and thats one less thing to worry about giving out on the trail or going down the highway, or at any other worse possible time.

edit: forgot you can't say c r a p on here...it gets changed to "poo poo"....CRAP!....LOL

-LOST #005816
-2003 KJ Sport
-3.7L V6
-235/70/16 Bridgestone Dueler A/T REVO'S
-Factory Fogs
-Sunroof
-Custom Mounted Mag Lite
-Jeep Stainless Steel Coffee Mug
-Autozone Rubber Floor Mats

Post subject: Why 2 vehicles ? Stick to your 4X4!!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:37 pm 
LOST Newbie

Se7enLC wrote:

Well, I have a reason. All my family comes with me on every outing. That includes my wife and 3 kids.

No CJs, XJs or whatever "J" except for the "KJ", can provide room for 5, baggage space and comfort during the (sometimes) long road trips needed to get to the place. In addition to that, I also save on insurance, gas, maintenance and all expenses that originate from having an additional vehicle.

I think what really summarizes the main advantage of the KJ, is that you do not need 2 cars to do all things you like to do in life. Onroad and offroad activities using the same vehicle.

2005 Liberty Sport 4X4 - Rock Rails - Frankenlift
- Ranchos RSX - 245/75/16 BFG AT KO - Full skids - Rock Rails - True Trac