It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: LED light bar mounts and Fog light upgrade
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 6:08 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hi all,
We've got an '06 CRD with some mild mods and we'd like to improve the off road lighting situation. I've searched the LostJeeps forums and I haven't found a lot of advice on the specific issues I'm looking for.

I'd like to add an LED light bar to the front bumper ( I'm not a fan of lights on the roof or A pillars - I don't like my hood lit up that much ) but the plastic bumper cover flexes a lot, so it seems like I need to find spots that are solid underneath to mount the bar. Are there any suggestions on where to do that and what size light bar to use?

Next, the fog lights are UV damaged with lenses that have become translucent rather than transparent, so I'd like to replace them with LED's as well, or with OEM replacements and LED bulbs. I've tried LED headlights replacement bulbs - while they were quite bright, they had TERRIBLE focus issues but that's not really a concern for me with the fog lights. Has anyone else done this and if so, what parts did you use and how did you like the results?

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: LED light bar mounts and Fog light upgrade
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 9:23 pm 

I upgraded the Headlamps to HID; did not like them at all, lights were slow to come on and had this crazy pulsing thing going on at times!
Removed the HID bulbs and installed some 6000k LED bulbs and like them much better. Installed LED's in the Fog lamp housings and then added a 24 inch LED light bar to brush guard.
Still have the Halogen Hella driving lights as well, but they are wimpy compared to the LED's so I keep them turned off unless I need some real reach out there pencil beams.

Put the HID's in my 1997 Dodge Ram and they seem to work fine, but I rarely drive it at night...so they did not go to waste!

If you install any auxiliary lighting in a vehicle, be sure and use good quality sized wiring with a fuse, and a switch activated relay, that power feeds straight off battery. :wink:
Couple of Pictures of Jeep below, let me know if you need more! The light bar rocks!!! :pepper:

Pictures:
Image Image

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

Last edited by WWDiesel on Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 4:46 am 
LOST Newbie

Looks awesome!! 8)

My new led fog lights are also incredibly bright!
I bought Calais bulbs for the wife's fog lamps on her explorer and just ordered a set for my truck.
Installation and replacement was an easy, just twist, pop off, plug and pop back in. Fitment was good.
Not sure how long these fog lights will last, but if anything happens I will update.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 10:49 am 

The neet thing about LED's is they produce very little heat verses HID's or Halogen bulbs which can scorch and yellow the backside of the acrylic lens!
This is especially true on the Fog lights since there is very little clearance between the bulb and the lens... :roll:

Several years ago I replaced the OEM Halogen 35w fog light bulbs with some 55w Halogen bulbs in my Dodge truck. It scorched and cracked the lens on the inside of the housings, bad move; had to replace both housings and then I put LED bulbs in the new housings for improved lighting... :wink:

:SOMBRERO:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 12:37 am 
LOST Newbie

WWDiesel - I'm good with the halogen headlights. I'm not going to LED's until I'm pretty sure what I'm getting is an improvement. I was that disappointed in the others I tried which had really good reviews.

We tow our KJ behind our RV, so the baseplate for towing is where a brush guard would go. I'm looking for an option that works with the normal '06 bumper.

For the fog lights, I'd like something that replaces the existing fog lights in the stock location. Stock housings with LED bulbs would be fine with me there, a wide spread of light ( unless it's really crazy, like up into the treetops....) is fine with me.

So, if anyone has mounted lights on the stock bumper, how did you do it and where did you mount it?

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 5:21 pm 
LOST Addict

I wonder if this could work for you?
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=104&t=74082

The KK and KJ have the same front crossmember but the bumper skins are different obviously. With some tweaking, a JK light bar mounted to the top of the crossmember might do the trick, and it would not rely on the tow hook/tow bracket holes.

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates
Rock Lizard Skink Super Sliders
AtTheHelm Front Recovery System & Roof Rack

M116A3 Trailer build thread: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=77997

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:44 pm 
LOST Newbie

How the frig do you get to the fog lights? :banghead:

I changed the headlights out with no problem, but trying to get my arm down further in that narrow area, past all that wiring is almost impossible. Getting two hands/arms down there to release the little clip just isn't going to happen. I spent over an hour trying to wriggle my arms down in different spots. Coming up from the bottom, there's body metal in the way. There's a small cutout, but there's no way my hand and arm are coming up through that and then towards the foglight. Do you have to take off the grill and other front areas to get to them?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:16 pm 
LOST Member

Location: Virginia, west of D.C. / In the middle of moving to Roanoke
whatdidibreaknow wrote:
How the frig do you get to the fog lights? :banghead:

I changed the headlights out with no problem, but trying to get my arm down further in that narrow area, past all that wiring is almost impossible. Getting two hands/arms down there to release the little clip just isn't going to happen. I spent over an hour trying to wriggle my arms down in different spots. Coming up from the bottom, there's body metal in the way. There's a small cutout, but there's no way my hand and arm are coming up through that and then towards the foglight. Do you have to take off the grill and other front areas to get to them?

Remove the grille.
A few tabs up top you lift up to release the rear edge (careful - plastic)

Bottom edge has tabs that fit/slip behind a ledger.

Then remove the fastener that holds the lamp assembly in, and pop housing out of left/right pockets.

There's prolly a youtube vid out there.

Take your time, be careful.
Good luck.

- Weeks Kit Stage 1.
- Weeks Kit Stage 2.
- JBA 2.5 inch Silver kit and UCAs installed at 125K miles.
- Weeks supplied Samco Intercooler Hoses and clamps.

Waiting for time, limber fingers, and good weather to do my HDS Model 001 Thermostat unit swap.