It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Better antenna
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:11 am 
LOST Addict

I have not had the stock antenna for a long time since it got broken/bent. I went with out one for a while and it didn't matter since I listened to SiruisXM. then I decided I needed something to get some local FM for the times I wanted to find local news or traffic so I got the 13" antennaX flex antenna but it doesn't have good range. In my area the stations are a bit scattered around 20-50 miles away in most places I drive. I want to cancel my XM due to the cost that keeps going up it seems. I now need a better antenna. what has anyone used that works for them?

I'm looking at this
http://antennax.com/i-24625625-antennax ... ty-kj.html

and this

http://antennax.com/i-24623682-antennax ... ty-kj.html

I'd like something a bit rugged that can handle a trail and a automatic car wash hopefully

Post subject: Re: Better antenna
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:11 pm 
LOST Addict

My experience with RF devices says, the higher you get your antenna, the better your reception will be.
Kinda hard to do on a car though.

Antenna length is important too.
A 30 inch antenna should work best for most FM radio stations.
Doesn't mean that a shorter antenna wont work. You really dont know until you try.

Lastly, if you have loose or corroded antenna connections, reception will suck no matter what kind of antenna you have.
It cant hurt pull the head unit out and check the antenna connection there.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:40 pm 
LOST Addict

I have an aftermarket radio thats not very old. I installed it and had it out about a year ago to install a sub powered woofer. I check all the connections then so I'm pretty confident the connections are all good and its that 13" rubber antenna thats the problem with FM.

on what you say I should try the 24"

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:24 pm 
LOST Newbie

There is a reason why most if not all OE mast style antennas are between 29 and 32 inches long... that's the length that fits best for receiving FM frequencies between 88 and 108 MHZ.

a 24" antenna is best suited for picking up right around 115MHZ... no FM radio station broadcasts at that freq. It'll work.. probably better than the 13" you have now, but not as good as stock.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:29 pm 
LOST Member

You could always order a new factory-style one: https://www.wermopar.com/oem-parts/mopa ... -5064351ab

Or pick one up from a junkyard.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:30 pm 
LOST Member

102" Whip Antenna, guaranteed stations from 50 states

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:33 pm 
LOST Addict

I got the 24" AM/FM/CB antenna. so far it seems to work far better then the 13" rubber one. it actually has a fiberglass shaft and wire coiled around that and then its wrapped in black vinyl. the design may give more area to receive the signal than some solid whip antennas do.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:30 am 
LOST Newbie

My Jk has a 24" AntennaX and didn't lose any reception that I can tell.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:50 am 
LOST Newbie

mikey1273 wrote:
I got the 24" AM/FM/CB antenna. so far it seems to work far better then the 13" rubber one. it actually has a fiberglass shaft and wire coiled around that and then its wrapped in black vinyl. the design may give more area to receive the signal than some solid whip antennas do.

Where did you install the antenna at? did you put it back in the stock location? i am interested in a tri-band antenna as well, but I also want to remove it from the original location.

Also, did your antenna come with the necessary splitter for AM/FM/CB function - or was that extra?

thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:42 pm 
LOST Addict

djtimyd wrote:
mikey1273 wrote:

Where did you install the antenna at? did you put it back in the stock location? i am interested in a tri-band antenna as well, but I also want to remove it from the original location.

Also, did your antenna come with the necessary splitter for AM/FM/CB function - or was that extra?

thanks!

I put it in the stock location with the adapter that came in the package to mount it to the stock right fender mount point. it didn't come with any kind of splitter or filter to separate the am/fm fro CB. not sure if one was available I didn't look as I don't have a CB in my Jeep. it does work as well I think I can get all the stations on FM that are spread about in my area.