It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ARE THERE ALTERNATIVES TO POSTING PHOTOS ON LOSTJEEPS?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:35 pm 
LOST Addict

Hello, LOSTJEEPS.com Members:

What is currently being done to post photographs on LOSTJEEPS.com?

It appears that Photobucket is asking for an EXPENSIVE upgrade to the account I have with them in order to post my photos on LOSTJEEPS.com. Photobucket was first suggested to me on LOSTJEEPS when I needed to post photos of my thermostat assembly. Now it appears that they are holding me hostage when I need to use photos that are in my Photobucket account.

Any suggestions for alternative methods of posting photos are welcome.

Post subject: Re: ARE THERE ALTERNATIVES TO POSTING PHOTOS ON LOSTJEEPS?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:17 pm 

Jeff,
I switched over and I am using Post Image now, FREE, simple, and very easy to use!
> https://postimages.org/

Imgur is another free site that I see some on LOST have have gone to:> https://imgur.com/

Photobucket can kiss our posterior where the sun doesn't shine!!!!

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:21 pm 
LOST Addict

WWDiesel wrote:
Jeff,
I switched over and I am using Post Image now, FREE, simple, and very easy to use!
> https://postimages.org/

Imgur is another free site that I see some on LOST have have gone to:> https://imgur.com/

Photobucket can kiss our posterior where the sun doesn't shine!!!!

I do not mind Photobucket making money to maintain their site and to help grow their business, but $399.99 USD per year seems more than a little ridiculous to me. :shock: :x

Is there a simple way to transfer all of my photos over to either Imgur or Post Image, or will I have to tediously do one photo at a time?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:03 am 
LOST Addict

X2 on PostImages. Im in the process of moving mine over.

Photobucket still lets you download all your images into a zip folder, which you can save on your computer. PostImages allows you to upload multiple images simultaneously if you want to. The tedious part is going back to any of the LOST threads you care about to update the IMG tags so that they point to the new location of your pics. It takes time but it is worth it for others on the forum, especially if it is a thread you know people commonly reference.

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates
Rock Lizard Skink Super Sliders
AtTheHelm Front Recovery System & Roof Rack

M116A3 Trailer build thread: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=77997

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:24 am 
LOST Addict

lfhoward wrote:

Photobucket still lets you download all your images into a zip folder, which you can save on your computer. PostImages allows you to upload multiple images simultaneously if you want to. The tedious part is going back to any of the LOST threads you care about to update the IMG tags so that they point to the new location of your pics. It takes time but it is worth it for others on the forum, especially if it is a thread you know people commonly reference.

Thank you for this, Ifhoward! I will start downloading all of my images soon, thanks to you. :D

Unfortunately, my most important thread is kept hidden from CRD owners by LOSTJEEPS administration due to ongoing issues I have with them. All of the photos I posted on that thread were sourced from Photobucket.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:43 am 

lfhoward wrote:

Good advice,
download all your pictures you have in Photobucket to a zip file on your computer or laptop, then set up new account in PotImage or Imgur. Un-zip file and on your computer, organize them into folders by type or group if you have a bunch of them. Then either program will allow you to upload multiple groups by selecting them all at once. Both hosts allow you to organize them into folders (PostImage calls them "Gallery's")

Then to replace all your broken Photobucket links, do this:
To search on LOST for all your posts that have a Photobucket link embeded. :-)r

Click on the "Search" button and insert: "photobucket&yourLOSTname" in the search box. (no quotation marks)
Example: photobucket&jeepman
then click on Search and it will find every post you have with a photobucket link!
Then it is just a matter of replacing the broken link with a new one!

It takes some time, I went through repairing about 350 broken links!

If someone other than you have quoted your post with a bad link, sorry, SOL! Only the original poster who quoted you has edit rights! :roll:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:55 am 

Next,
how to figure out which original picture in photobucket goes with which broken link! Since you can no longer see your original picture, only their stupid logo telling you to update your account!

You could open each one to see what it is, but if you were like me dealing with hundreds of pictures, it would be painfully slow!

Actually when I downloaded all my pictures from photobucket back to my computer, PB puts a unique code on the end of the name of each picture file! I simply uploaded all of those downloaded pictures up to PostImage and organized them by categories. I did not rename any of them!

So, when I pull up the LOST post with the bad link and go into "Edit" mode, it shows me the name of the picture file that I used to post from PB in the original link.
I simply have to find the picture with that same name in the new picture sharing host service and replace the bad link with a new link to PostImage or Imgur depending on what you use.

Example of a picture file name:
Note, Photobucket adds (codes) everything after the 0003_ in the link.
media/Wiring%20Diagrams/8W-10-20_Page_0003_zps8hvghqw9.jpg

doing it this way, I did not have to open photobucket at all to figure out which picture was originally used....

Hope this helps some that is being blackmailed by Photobucket!!!!

:SOMBRERO:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:43 pm 
LOST Addict

WWDiesel wrote:
Next,
how to figure out which original picture in photobucket goes with which broken link! Since you can no longer see your original picture, only their stupid logo telling you to update your account!

You could open each one to see what it is, but if you were like me dealing with hundreds of pictures, it would be painfully slow!

Actually when I downloaded all my pictures from photobucket back to my computer, PB puts a unique code on the end of the name of each picture file! I simply uploaded all of those downloaded pictures up to PostImage and organized them by categories. I did not rename any of them!

So, when I pull up the LOST post with the bad link and go into "Edit" mode, it shows me the name of the picture file that I used to post from PB in the original link.
I simply have to find the picture with that same name in the new picture sharing host service and replace the bad link with a new link to PostImage or Imgur depending on what you use.

Example of a picture file name:
Note, Photobucket adds (codes) everything after the 0003_ in the link.
media/Wiring%20Diagrams/8W-10-20_Page_0003_zps8hvghqw9.jpg

doing it this way, I did not have to open photobucket at all to figure out which picture was originally used....

Hope this helps some that is being blackmailed by Photobucket!!!!

:SOMBRERO:

Thank you WW for your help here. Your explanations are easy to understand and succinct, so I should have no trouble uploading the replacement photos.

I have already signed up with Imgur and PostImages.

I will try these remedies in the near future... right now I am crazy busy trying to get letters written, CBSA and U.S. Customs and Border Protection paperwork finished, and shipments sent.

Many thanks to both you, WWDiesel and Ifhoward, for your responses!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:38 am 
LOST Newbie

Thanks for useful sites, I will miss photobucket though..

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:22 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

yea PB was actually decent up until about a year ago , at the level of popup's and adverts they have now.. depending on platform it's pretty much unusable

Lift: ft. 790+ rr. JBA4+
The last of the TrailReady Front&Rear Bumpers and TR Rock Rails
Jarhead Offroad light covers
31x10.5R15 RedLetter Grabbers on Blackrock Dunes
L.O.S.T #KD098632

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:05 pm 
LOST Addict

Tapatalk for Android/Iphone also lets you post images directly from the app and host it for you. Thats how I do most of my stuff now.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:24 pm 
LOST Addict

lfhoward wrote:

How do you download it as a Zip. I am trying to get all of mine now but cant seem to figure that part out.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:47 pm 
LOST Member

mass-hole wrote:
How do you download it as a Zip. I am trying to get all of mine now but cant seem to figure that part out.
Good question. That's something I've been meaning to do, and your post motivated me to figure it out. Looking though my account, I don't see that option anywhere.

Googling it, I found a page in their Support section called Downloading Albums: https://support.photobucket.com/hc/en-us/articles/201892970-Downloading-Albums
However, that just redirects you a different page detailing the changes they've made (the $400/yr requirement to link photos on outside sites). They also mention that photos can be downloaded individually.

Google's cached version of that Support page (https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:dPReiipDFzsJ:https://support.photobucket.com/hc/en-us/articles/201892970-Downloading-Albums+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us) says that you need to navigate to your Library, select an album, and in the lower-right corner, under Actions, click Download Album. I tried this, but there is no such link in the Actions section.

This leads me to believe that Photobucket probably removed this feature when they changed their terms, forcing users to download each photo individually, in an effort to make it a bigger pain in the butt to move your stuff elsewhere.

There appears to be at least one browser extension that provides album downloading, but I haven't tried it. I'll probably end up downloading mine individually.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:22 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I used the fatkun batch download image plugin for chrome, it worked fine, only nuance was i had to download the first photo in each album manually and view the album in "Story View" and scroll it all the way to the end of the album and then click the plugin - took me about 25 mins but i had a bunch of stuff on PB

Lift: ft. 790+ rr. JBA4+
The last of the TrailReady Front&Rear Bumpers and TR Rock Rails
Jarhead Offroad light covers
31x10.5R15 RedLetter Grabbers on Blackrock Dunes
L.O.S.T #KD098632