It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Replacing a cigarette power outlet in Jeep KK
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:03 pm 
LOST Newbie

I have seen a few different articles regarding how to put on cigarette lighters on everything except the Jeep KK. Is the process still the same and are there any articles that include pictures since I am a visual learner?

Post subject: Re: Replacing a cigarette power outlet in Jeep KK
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:42 am 
LOST Member

I don't know which trim pieces will need to be removed in order to access the socket, but here's a video showing how to remove/replace the socket itself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1s3rqwSJWII&t=2m03s. The video is for a 2008 Ram so I started the video halfway through to skip all the irrelevant stuff.

In the video they're able to just push the socket out of the trim ring from behind. In my experience this has been hit and miss. I've messed with four of these sockets before, but I think only one or maybe two came apart that easily. For the others, I had to buy a special tool to release some locking tabs inside the socket before it would push out of the trim: Dorman 56457 (Rock Auto) (Amazon). That includes a replacement socket as well, but it's intended for GM vehicles so I'm not sure it will fit your Jeep. I only bought the kit for the tool. Like I said, totally hit and miss; depends on how aggressively the locking tabs on the trim ring are holding the inner socket.

Also note that if you're buying a replacement socket, the connector is keyed differently depending on whether the socket can accept a cigarette lighter, or whether it can only be used for powering devices/chargers/whatever. So make sure you're replacing the socket with the same type or else it won't plug in.

Last edited by joe_ on Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:43 am 
LOST Addict

Do you want to replace the existing power outlet with a cig lighter outlet or add a second unit?

If replacing the existing one, it’s easy to pull the center dash bezel around the radio and access the unit. If you replace with a Mopar unit, it will be plug and play with the pigtail clip. If using an aftermarket unit, you’ll need a multimeter to see which of the two wires is “hot” (+) and which is the ground (-). The hot connects to the central pin on the power outlet, and the ground connects to the outer housing of the unit.

If you want to add a second power outlet, you can wire one up on the left side of the bezel, opposite the OEM one. You’ll need to drill a hole in the right location for it to fit, and splice the wires to the other outlet as described above.

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates
Rock Lizard Skink Super Sliders
AtTheHelm Front Recovery System & Roof Rack

M116A3 Trailer build thread: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=77997

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:52 pm 

LeviathanTM wrote:
I have seen a few different articles regarding how to put on cigarette lighters on everything except the Jeep KK. Is the process still the same and are there any articles that include pictures since I am a visual learner?

See this post, not a KK, but I added this to my Jeep KJ and it gave me 3 lighted power outlets without having to modify anything (Plug & Play). So far I really like it, it even has an on/off switch.... :wink:
> viewtopic.php?p=916842#p916842

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:18 am 
LOST Newbie

Sorry I didn't respond sooner but I am actually replacing the socket or tightening it. The only drawback is that I can't figure out how to remove the dash. All videos I have seen are of different dash removals not of my year. Can anyone lead me in the right direction of the dash removal?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:30 pm 
LOST Addict

Here is where I was going to send you, but PhotoBucket is holding the pics for ransom.
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=104&t=36253

A way to see them is to:
Scroll to the bottom of the post and click the Quote button. It will show you the html links for the pics inside of the quoted text.
Copy and paste those urls (without the IMG tags) into your web browser to pull them up inside of Photobucket’s own website.
It’s a pain to go through this but it should work to view the photos you want.

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates
Rock Lizard Skink Super Sliders
AtTheHelm Front Recovery System & Roof Rack

M116A3 Trailer build thread: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=77997

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:35 am 
LOST Newbie

Thank you so much!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:22 pm 
LOST Newbie

ok, so now that I am officially on a PC I can finally explain the reason for my asking.

My Cigarette outlet is super loose. I figured out how to pull off my dash and looked at why. There is a piece of plastic that presses it against the dash to secure it and that piece is broken leaving the outlet to "flop" loosely in the dash. Rather than buy another cigarette outlet, I just purchased this instead. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HP ... UTF8&psc=1

Now I am trying to figure out which one is NEG and which one is POS

Last edited by LeviathanTM on Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:43 pm 
LOST Member

Yeah you're gonna have to cut the wires and crimp on the terminals they supply in order to connect that.