It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Weird heater issue on KJ
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:41 pm 
LOST Member

Learn from my stupid mistake. With the temperature control turned to the hottest setting possible, my blower would push hot air in positions 1, 2, and 3 when driving. When turned to 4, or when idling, regardless of blower setting, it would blow cold air. Such weird symptoms.

Turns out I was very low on coolant. I noticed that last week when I changed my oil, but since it wasn't overheating, it was on my to-do list, but not a high priority. It took over two quarts of coolant when I filled tonight. Tested it immediately thereafter, and hot air blows regardless of blower setting or driving or idling.

Posting in case anyone runs into a similar problem.

Post subject: Re: Weird heater issue on KJ
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:58 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Now you need to find the coolant leak,most likely a cracked radiator side tank(drivers side behind rubber flap is most common area).

You just don't loose coolant for no reason since '02-'06 KJ's use a 100% sealed system.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:41 pm 
LOST Member

I have not noticed any leaks, but interestingly enough, I got my oil analysis back today, and they found a high sodium content. They suspect this is due to coolant leak in the engine since Mobil1 doesn't use sodium as an additive.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:38 pm 
LOST Member

Did you get an Engine Icon Light warning on your dash? My coolant goes down slightly and I get the warning there. I add distilled water at the overflow tank. Could the core of the heater be leaking?
:?:

2005 Sport, Light Khaki, manual trans 6 speed, front spacer lift, tinted glass, tow hooks, ProComp black rock crawler rims, Toyo AT tires, K+ N filter charger, Magnaflow muffler, Bilstein shocks, Daystar sway bar bushings, skid plates, trailer hitch, fogs, 50 watt back up bulbs, Sylvania plus headlights, Thule rack and SiriusX Satellite radio.