It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Crap, axle seal is leaking AGAIN
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:59 pm 
LOST Addict

Discovered a leaky axle seal about 3 weeks ago. Started leaking and I realized I didn't grease it right and I used the axle socket to put it in, which probably screwed it up. Tried it again. There are no nicks or gouges anywhere. I use a Mac seal driver that only put pressure on the outside and I also used this grease:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/l...gaAietEALw_wcB
Here's where I put it, all the blue areas (and around the outer circumference)
It was perfect for about 100 miles. No drips at all. Monday, I noticed some blue dripping so I thought that's just the grease melting off. Wiped it off, checked it again and it's more green. Wiped it off again. Checked it again, and finally decided to clean it real good with engine cleaner at the DIY wash. Now I can finally conclude the fluid coming out is gear oil. :furious:

What could I have done wrong? I think the 3rd seal I'll take it in, but I don't see what I did wrong. Is it bad to drive it like this for a couple weeks? Probably about 200-300 miles a week.

2015 KL Limited

Post subject: Re: Crap, axle seal is leaking AGAIN
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:02 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

No grease on the outer edge,that needs to seal and why it has "dry" RTV ring on it.

If the 2nd seal is leaking then the CV axle and/or bearing/bushing needs to be replaced next.I have seen many aftermarket seals are made the wrong size and couple that with a aftermarket(reman included) CV axle will leak no matter what.

I would highly recommend replacing the seal with a actual MOPAR one and replace the bushing or bearing that supports the CV axle just on the other side of that seal.Any,and I mean any imperfection or sign of a groove on the CV axle were the seal rides I would install a new CV axle also.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:14 pm 

Front or Rear, I do not believe you specified?
As TJ stated, seals have different qualities; only use an OEM type double lip type seals!
Some of the cheaper ones only have a single sealing lip and just do not hold up.... :roll:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:21 pm 
LOST Addict

Thanks for the replies, sounds like I should get a Mopar one next. Although the National one looked identical to the factory one.

I checked that bushing out and there's no play at all. The CV holds in there good and tight. No nicks on the CV, it's about 6 months old from Napa, it's a reman.

2015 KL Limited

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:10 am 

HoosierJeeper wrote:
Thanks for the replies, sounds like I should get a Mopar one next. Although the National one looked identical to the factory one.
I checked that bushing out and there's no play at all. The CV holds in there good and tight. No nicks on the CV, it's about 6 months old from Napa, it's a reman.

It may be an overkill, but I always smear some good quality hi-temp red silicone around the entire outer perimeter sealing surface before installing the seal in the housing just to be darn sure of no leakage! :idea:
I do this on any oil seal! :wink:
I know some seals come with a small bead of sealant on them, but I like to be sure and it certainly can't hurt but might prevent a leak.... :roll:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:58 pm 
LOST Addict

Thanks for the advice everyone - truly appreciate it. I'm taking it into a shop, for a $122 I'll have a Mopar seal and hopefully a KJ that doesn't mark its territory.

2015 KL Limited