It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Removing viscous fan
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:34 pm 
LOST Member

I read the threads here about it, but I don't how it would work on mine. One of the thread lead to this link: http://colorado4wheel.com/content/KJ_TB.html

I don't see any holes to insert the socket into to keep the wheel from spinning. The white, plastic fan is attached to the wheel with four bolts, but I can't quite get to to them either. Am I missing the obvious?

Post subject: Re: Removing viscous fan
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:06 pm 
LOST Newbie

There are some great pictures in the #10 section that show exactly where to put the socket through the hole. It'll fit right onto a bolt behind it. If yours doesn't have that same 4 hole pulley under the fan clutch and has a plastic fan someone previous may have changed it. Maybe post a pic of your setup. I was able to use a large pair of channel locks to get the clutch off

05 Liberty crd 185k miles / Lifters and rockers, arp studs, h.d.s. thermostat, weeks stage 1+2, carter lift pump with sasquatch harness, gen 2 filter head, hemi t/c, 245/70r16 bfg a/t ko2, on board air, uniden pro 520xl
4.10s with a detroit locker in the rear and e-locker up front
Next up....skids and GDE eco FT.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:51 am 
LOST Addict

Don't need any of that fancy crap. Get a 36mm fan clutch wrench and a sledge hammer, put the wrench on and then give it a few big hits. Should bust free. it's not reverse threaded. Pound it from the driver's side.

Oops. Just realized this is for a 2.4. Sorry.

2015 KL Limited

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:17 pm 
LOST Member

Locked KJ wrote:
There are some great pictures in the #10 section that show exactly where to put the socket through the hole. It'll fit right onto a bolt behind it. If yours doesn't have that same 4 hole pulley under the fan clutch and has a plastic fan someone previous may have changed it. Maybe post a pic of your setup. I was able to use a large pair of channel locks to get the clutch off

I don't have that same setup. Here's a video that shows what I have. Skip to 3:00 for a bit, and then to 5:20.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMoXBTlOprw

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:20 pm 
LOST Newbie

Because of your first post I thought you were talking about a crd. Looking at the youtube vid. Your pulley has smaller holes in it. You just need a stubby screwdriver or maybe a short 1/4" extension. You could also try HoosierJeepers method and whack it, which I could totally see working if the belt is on. You should be able to get the clutch and fan off as one instead of messing with the 4 bolts holding the fan to the clutch.

05 Liberty crd 185k miles / Lifters and rockers, arp studs, h.d.s. thermostat, weeks stage 1+2, carter lift pump with sasquatch harness, gen 2 filter head, hemi t/c, 245/70r16 bfg a/t ko2, on board air, uniden pro 520xl
4.10s with a detroit locker in the rear and e-locker up front
Next up....skids and GDE eco FT.