It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: HOOD RELEASE CABLE BROKEN ON 2006 LIBERTY, (KJ)
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:19 pm 
LOST Addict

Hello, Everyone:

I am currently having a big problem opening the hood of my 2006 Jeep Liberty KJ. The cable appears to have broken in the engine bay somewhere, and I do not see a way to open the hood to replace the cable.

I looked carefully in the foot well area where the hood release cable handle is located, and the cable is fine in the passenger cabin side of the firewall; no damage at all is evident. Had the break in the cable been in the cabin, it would have been a simple matter of gripping the broken end of the cable and pulling on it to release the hood latch. I even removed the cable from the release handle and can pull at least 2 feet of bare cable out easily, with no resistance at all. I can therefore confidently and unfortunately state the break in the cable is somewhere in the engine bay area. :( I slid the bare cable back into its sleeve and the end of the cable remains disconnected from the cable release handle.

I have already seen some relatively helpful YouTube videos regarding this problem with other vehicles. However, due to the unique nature of this problem, the myriad of different designs in hood release mechanisms and the cosmetic parts that cover them, specific advice is required for every different vehicle, especially when it comes to getting the hood open without damaging anything. Has anyone encountered this problem, and if so please post your recommendations on how to get the hood open without damaging anything.

Is there a special tool that is used to trip the hood latch when the cable breaks? Am I missing where the assembly hardware is located to allow me to remove the grill to get to the hood latch? Do I need to get this thing on a hoist to remove parts from underneath to get to the hood latch?

Any helpful advice would be gratefully accepted.

Thanking you in advance,