It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 06 CRD won't start
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:39 pm 
LOST Newbie

Brief history: some time ago jeep would occasionally not start. All the lights on the dash would light but no noise from the starter, battery charged. Recycling the key to off back to start would get the engine going. The occasionally changed to more frequently and now the vehicle starts very occasionally. Finally noticed a little red light on the bottom left of the instrument panel was on. Owners manual called it the anti theft light. When the light is on no start, when the light goes out and stays out CRD starts. I am also getting a warbling alarm for about 3 seconds. Again, all indicator lights come on no noise from the starter
Replaced the start selenoid, starter switch (on the left side of the steering column) and the starter.
Any ideas how to fix this problem??

Post subject: Re: 06 CRD won't start
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:46 am 
LOST Member

OK if you replaced the ignition switch you would have noticed if the Actuator Pin Assembly that turns the ignition switch had broken off...a common problem.....if this actuator pin is starting to break then ignition lights come ON but engine will not turn over...turning the ignition switch with a small flat screwdriver while ignition key is in its normal slot will turn over the engine.

The red LED on the LHS of the cluster is part of the SKIS anti-theft system.
The chipped ignition key has its imbedded code read by the SKIM module that sits on top of the steering column and has a wire loop going around the inserted key. The SKIM module reads the chipped code and sends it to the ECM inside the engine bay.

If the ECM is happy with the code received it turns off the red LED, energizes the ASD relay and allows the engine to turn over and fire.
If the ECM is not happy with the code received it will flash the red LED permanently but allow the Jeep to turn over and fire but will cut out after a few seconds.

If the ECM was happy with the code but did not receive confirmation back from the ASD relay that it...the relay....had energized then the red LED stays on all the time....engine will turn over but never fire.

So the first thing to do is to is to try a different ignition key and swap over the ASD relay in the box under the hood with an identical one next to it. I had this problem on my 2002 Export CRD due to the ASD relay not energising due to a broken wire going to the relay coil...I removed the ASD relay and jumpered female pins 30 and 87 together inside the empty socket. This turned the light off and enabled me to start the Jeep and drive it until I had time to fix the problem.

There is a known problem with the LHD 2006 CRDs that the main harness goes behind the Fuel Filer Head Mounting Bracket and can get damaged in that area and cause shorts down to chassis.

So unplug the battery, remove this fuel mounting bracket and check the wiring in that area for damage. Also re-plug the connectors on the ECM a few times to clean up any bad contacts and swap over the ASD Relay. :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:13 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
Also, have your battery tested.
A weak battery will drop voltage beyond the computer's need for proper operation when a large load (like a starter) is presented.
Take it to Autozone or some other place that services batteries.
They will charge it, then put it under proper load and see how well it holds voltage.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:50 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks Gornado and Billy Bob,
I checked all of the above and replaced the module receiver. The jeep would start but shut down the engine after a couple of seconds. By some fluke I was able to get it started and to the dealer. The SKIS light was on and did not go off. Dealer tried to program the the original keys, unsuccessfully. I had to buy new keys The PCM would not allow new keys to be programmed, it kept losing the serial number. Replaced the PCM and got the keys to program. The dealer tested the neutral safety switch, it is working normal. The SKIS was still on and the engine would not turn over or it would start and run for a couple of seconds. In order to get the vehicle on the road , the dealer bypassed the neutral safety switch until he can figure out what is wrong. He thinks the TCM or the BCM is malfunctioning. ( Yes the Jeep starts in any gear) The dealer says he doesn't have the equipment6 to test the control modules without replacing them.

Does anyone have a clue as to what to do next or know of a CRD expert in the Grand Junction CO, or Salt Lake City area, I am 3 hours away from each, 6 hours from Denver, would even go there? I do want to get this thing back on the road again

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:40 pm 
LOST Addict

Mopar transponder keys have a unique weirdness in that once a key is programmed, it burns the chip in such a way to cause that key to be unable to be programmed to any transceiver. This way, they force the sale of new keys.
Stupid philosophy, because they only have the sales advantage until aftermarket keys hit the shelves, and that happens pretty quick. In fact I had keys and tumbler sets for the new Cameros before the cars had even hit the sales floor.

This is kind of dumbfounding though. A DRB3 or newer factory service tool should be able to test or reset any of the control modules. If they don't have that, or someone who knows how to use it, find another dealer.

I do know there are 3 modules ECM, BCM, and one more that have to be set to the same VIN. I think the last one is the SKIM, or perhaps that's the one that's not happy if they other 3 don't agree. It''s been some years, so I don't remember the precise details. I do know that the one in the steering column couldn't be reprogrammed to work with the other 2. They had to buy a new one and initialize it.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:47 am 
LOST Member

OK just to confirm....if the Neutral switch is jumpered out the Jeep starts and runs but SKIS light stays ON with no other things jumpered out while this is happening?

What "module receiver" did you replace....the SKIM module on top of the steering column with the loop going around the ignition key entrance? Did you replace this with a new one from the Dealer in which case it has to be programmed by the Dealer to match your existing chipped keys.

Any previously used SKIM module from a Breaker yard or online shopping cannot be programed....you need a virgin SKIM module that can only be programmed once to match your existing chipped keys and the Dealer needs to be able to check that the ECM still has this code inside the ECM.

I do not believe the BCM/TCM has anything to do with this process other than the fact that the TCM checks that the Park and Neutral switches are working OK.

So to confirm....on normal starting up the SKIS red LED should light up for a few seconds when ignition is turned ON.
If the LED stays flashes all the time them the ECM did not agree with the chipped code sent....Jeep will start but cut out after a few seconds.

If the LED stays ON then the ECM was happy with the code and tries to energize the ASD relay but the ECM did not receive the feedback signal from the ASD relay that it....the ASD relay....had energized.

You can read up on all this theory in the 2006 KJ Service Manuals and check the wiring to the ASD relay and back to the ECM on the wiring diagrams within the Service Manuals.

In case you do not have the Service Manual...download the 2006 KJ Service Manual here:

http://www.colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/KJ

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:42 am 
LOST Newbie

shirschi1 wrote:
Brief history: some time ago jeep would occasionally not start. All the lights on the dash would light but no noise from the starter, battery charged. Recycling the key to off back to start would get the engine going. The occasionally changed to more frequently and now the vehicle starts very occasionally. Finally noticed a little red light on the bottom left of the instrument panel was on. Owners manual called it the anti theft light. When the light is on no start, when the light goes out and stays out CRD starts. I am also getting a warbling alarm for about 3 seconds. Again, all indicator lights come on no noise from the starter
Replaced the start selenoid, starter switch (on the left side of the steering column) and the starter.
Any ideas how to fix this problem??

I may be stating the obvious but are you pushing down the clutch pedal before trying to start it? My 2005 KJ 2.8 CRD starter motor won't turn over unless I push the clutch pedal down.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:59 am 

jeepsterkj wrote:
I may be stating the obvious but are you pushing down the clutch pedal before trying to start it? My 2005 KJ 2.8 CRD starter motor won't turn over unless I push the clutch pedal down.

US 2006 CRD model, automatics only! No manual transmission model Jeep Liberty CRD's were sold in the US, only overseas.... :roll:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:08 pm 
LOST Member

WWDiesel wrote:
jeepsterkj wrote:

US 2006 CRD model, automatics only! No manual transmission model Jeep Liberty CRD's were sold in the US, only overseas.... :roll:

Very true.. but it did spark something for me; OP said it would start in any gear, so maybe there is a problem with the 'p' or 'n' switch, or position sensor if the safety is a control module function? At least for the 'no crank' issue?

Sasquatch elbow kit, samcos, GDE eco FT. 11-26-14
80,500 miles, engine is disassembled, awaiting parts 3/18
Budget?? Sure! 'Everything I have'.
New "Pet" name for My Jeep; 'Soul Sucker'

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:36 pm 
LOST Addict

Old Post.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr