It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tackled heater core
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:19 am 
LOST Newbie

Yesterday I undertook the job of changing the heater core. I feel like I made some mistakes as I took the dash apart. I pulled the wiring out of the dash, I am not sure I would do that next time. I think I would buy a couple of good quality pin connectors and add them to the wires that go through the firewall and leave the wiring attached to the dash. Also by the time I got to the heater core I was frustrated as things just did not want to come apart,and I could not get the heater box apart to get to the core. The post here says it just slide out. Yeah right. Mine was a fight.lol . So in my frustration I did not notice that the heater core has 2 screws in the end ,2 screws in a bracket,and a screw in a duct piece and slides out the end of the housing. I took the housing apart before I figured it out. Don't do that. Now I can only hope I have the blend doors back in correctly. This afternoon I begin to reassemble the dash. I now know when I ask a few local garages how much they would charge to put it in for me,they said we don't do that.

Post subject: Re: Tackled heater core
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:53 pm 
LOST Newbie

I have also been battling climate control issues.
And the local dealer has told me that I have to buy $300.00 in parts and 6 hours in labor.
So I have researched a lot and found out some good info but got more bad news.
Even if I did have the parts and was able to remove the dash.
Witch entails dropping the steering column and that requires disconnecting the neg terminal of the battery and waiting for 2 min to allow the air bag system to get to a safe condition.
Then removing the dash.
And removing the climate control box that contains the heater core and the AC evaporator.
Replacing the blend doors and the mode control doors. And the actuators.
After all has been reassembled and the battery reconnected and refilling the AC system. (and might as well replace the dryer), All the actuators have to be calibrated via the service software.

That is the catch for me.
Yes I have a simple ODBII reader and it can reset some codes but that is it.
As far as I know all the systems I have seen for sale on Ebay cost 1k to 3kUSD and they don't even have up to date firmware.

So I could spend almost 4kus and take a chance that the kit will do the job or pay the dealer 1.5kus and prey it is done correctly.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:10 pm 
LOST Newbie

Mine (my son now owns it)is back together and seems to be working well. I do think i might have got the blend doors off one tooth on the drive gear as the controller on the dash seems off one notch,but he will have to live with that,as I don't want to take it back apart again and still might not get it right.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:30 pm 
LOST Newbie

I can't claim victory yet. The boy called and said the traction control and ESP light is on. I am not sure if I missed plugging a wire connector back in or what. I guess I will look at it another day.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:35 pm 
LOST Newbie

charlieB wrote:
I have also been battling climate control issues.
And the local dealer has told me that I have to buy $300.00 in parts and 6 hours in labor.
So I have researched a lot and found out some good info but got more bad news.
Even if I did have the parts and was able to remove the dash.
Witch entails dropping the steering column and that requires disconnecting the neg terminal of the battery and waiting for 2 min to allow the air bag system to get to a safe condition.
Then removing the dash.
And removing the climate control box that contains the heater core and the AC evaporator.
Replacing the blend doors and the mode control doors. And the actuators.
After all has been reassembled and the battery reconnected and refilling the AC system. (and might as well replace the dryer), All the actuators have to be calibrated via the service software.

That is the catch for me.
Yes I have a simple ODBII reader and it can reset some codes but that is it.
As far as I know all the systems I have seen for sale on Ebay cost 1k to 3kUSD and they don't even have up to date firmware.

So I could spend almost 4kus and take a chance that the kit will do the job or pay the dealer 1.5kus and prey it is done correctly.

I ould not mind paying $1000.00 or so to have it done so I did not have to mess with it,but a couple places I checked with ,would not do it. I never checked with the dealer. I figured when they got done I could replace the jeep for what they would charge.