It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re-padding the driver's seat
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:57 pm 

The driver's seat in our KJ CRD is... Not comfortable. The base is as flat as a board, and the back is only slightly better. Compared to the passenger seat, it's awful.

I'd like to remedy this situation since it tends to be used on long drives fairly regularly. It's a Limited, so has power leather seats with the seat heaters. Keeping the seat heaters is non-negotiable; neither my wife nor I are willing to part with them.

Any ideas on how best to improve this set of circumstances? The seats themselves are in great shape, so I'd prefer to not replace them if it can be avoided. But we'd both like to be able to sit on something that isn't killing either of our backs after an hour, or that isn't a slip-over seat cover.

JBA Lifted A-Arms
IRO WJ Short Rear UCA/WWDiesel mount
Skid Row Skidplates
HDS Model 001 Thermostat (190°F)
Suncoast TC
Full Weeks Kit
Bosch 5V glow plugs
Hayden 2986 fan clutch / GM 11-blade fan
Samco / Sasquatch Intake Hoses
Carter in-tank pump
Provent 200
V6 Airbox

Post subject: Re: Re-padding the driver's seat
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:47 pm 
LOST Addict

If you don’t want to replace your seats, there are a wide variety of padded seat covers to try.

I put KK seats in mine and have done a few 12+ hour drives in them. I have been mostly pleased with them.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:35 am 

flash7210 wrote:
If you don’t want to replace your seats, there are a wide variety of padded seat covers to try.

I put KK seats in mine and have done a few 12+ hour drives in them. I have been mostly pleased with them.

Seat covers are absolutely out. Hate them.

That said, are KK seats more or less a drop-in? Definitely want to retain power adjustment and the heaters.

JBA Lifted A-Arms
Skid Row Skidplates
Suncoast TC
Full Weeks Kit
Bosch 5V glow plugs
Carter in-tank pump
Provent 200
V6 Airbox

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:24 am 
LOST Member

Can you not take the seat to a re-upholsterer to get the inside re-padded? You obviously will need to be sure that the seat warmer and seat motor are not interfered with!

The trouble with getting KK seats is that you would probably have to replace all the seats in the vehicle to get a good match.

My 2002 Export CRD has cloth seats and came out of the factory with all seats extremely uncomfortable! :(

So I have to sit on cushions and have a cushion behind my back....I traded in a Landrover Freelander in when I got my KJ....Freelander was rubbish but at least it had a good Lumbar Support adjustment on the front seats! :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:15 am 
LOST Addict

I’ve had my front seats apart in order to install a heated seat kit. I would say it would be completely doable to replace the seat padding. All it is is a yellow foam cushion that can be swapped out. The difficult part is taking the upholstery off and reinstalling it. The main seams have zippers so that’s no problem. But there are parts of the seat cover held in place by metal hog rings, which must be cut with wire cutters, and then replaced with new hog rings (using hog ring pliers) when reinstalling. The heated seat elements are 12” square stickers that adhere to the foam seat cushion under the leather. I would imagine you could peel them off the old cushion and re-stick them to a new foam cushion using headliner spray glue. It’s a bear of a job but if you’re willing to do it, the only costs would be the replacement foam cushions (order new from Mopar), hog ring pliers, and some hog rings.

LOL. Not sure what the venison sausage in the photo is about. It’s a photo from Walmart's website.

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates
Rock Lizard Skink Super Sliders
AtTheHelm Front Recovery System & Roof Rack

M116A3 Trailer build thread: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=77997

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:15 pm 

lfhoward wrote:
I’ve had my front seats apart in order to install a heated seat kit. I would say it would be completely doable to replace the seat padding. All it is is a yellow foam cushion that can be swapped out. The difficult part is taking the upholstery off and reinstalling it. The main seams have zippers so that’s no problem. But there are parts of the seat cover held in place by metal hog rings, which must be cut with wire cutters, and then replaced with new hog rings (using hog ring pliers) when reinstalling. The heated seat elements are 12” square stickers that adhere to the foam seat cushion under the leather. I would imagine you could peel them off the old cushion and re-stick them to a new foam cushion using headliner spray glue. It’s a bear of a job but if you’re willing to do it, the only costs would be the replacement foam cushions (order new from Mopar), hog ring pliers, and some hog rings.

Good to know about the cushions, and thanks. My only concern is that if I do manage to track down the replacement cushions, they'll only serve to move the problem from 'uncomfortable' to 'mediocre'. It's been a long, long time since I was in a KJ with as-new seats, and just can't remember how good or bad they were from the factory.

I've done seat repairs before, and these days it's something I send out to a shop. I'll pull the seat... But I find the actual work really annoying to do. Better that someone else swears at it ;)

Going to look into the KK swap idea a bit more. Been reading a few threads; still undecided if I want to go to the trouble.

Quote:
LOL. Not sure what the venison sausage in the photo is about. It’s a photo from Walmart's website.

I have no idea, but it has started giving me ideas for dinner :)

JBA Lifted A-Arms
Skid Row Skidplates
Suncoast TC
Full Weeks Kit
Bosch 5V glow plugs
Carter in-tank pump
Provent 200
V6 Airbox

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:14 pm 
LOST Newbie

lfhoward wrote:

Gonna be the one to kill the humor in this. It looks like the rings are for closing the end of the packaging on the sausage. If you look at the picture, you can see the metal ring. I'm guessing its advertised to the deer hunter who likes to make sausage, lol. But I guess they work just as well with seat covers too :D

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:30 pm 
LOST Addict

That makes sense!

Now for the origin of the term “hog ring”. As I understand it, hogs left to their own devices root around with their snouts to find food. In the process, they can pick up any number of parasites and the rooting around causes damage to the soil and trees. So farmers came up with putting a ring in their snout that would irritate the hog if it rooted in the dirt, and discouraged the rooting behavior. Hence, “hog rings”.

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates
Rock Lizard Skink Super Sliders
AtTheHelm Front Recovery System & Roof Rack

M116A3 Trailer build thread: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=77997

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:49 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
I've seen plenty of hogs with nose rings, but none where it deterred them from rooting, be it mud, dirt, or anything else.

I have seen some being directed around by a lead snapped to the nose ring, but never seen this type of ring used in the nose of either pigs or cattle.

I've never seen it, but I've been told that farmers half-a-century or so past, would use this sort of device to attach stock number tags to pigs.

I suspect any of those uses are increasingly rare in recent times.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:40 am 
LOST Newbie

Going to a local upholstery shop is a nice idea. I don't think re-padding your seat will cost too much.