It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: camshaft turned inside sprocket bending pin
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:35 pm 
LOST Newbie

ok fellas not sure about this but i think i know the answer, while removing the camshaft bolt with the line up pin in, the pin bent and the camshaft spun counter clockwise using a impact, even with the sprockets held with a sprocket holder. would this mean bent rockers now and possible new sprocket because it didn't compress to the camshaft enough till the bolt was removed. 2006 kj CRD. if new rockers needed, is there a how to step by step in here to remove intake cover.

Post subject: Re: camshaft turned inside sprocket bending pin
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:17 pm 
LOST Member

if the crank was pinned at 90 atdc, (which it probably was since you said the cam pins were in place) your rockers will be fine. All 4 pistons will be at the same height (halfway in the stroke). Plenty of room.
Are you worried about a little galling when the cam was turning behind the sprocket? For the little time it actually had tight contact, it should be ok. Soon as the bolt is 'loose', there is no longer any 'compression' between the sprocket and cam. If you see galling on the sprocket on the mating surfaces, then you may have issues. I doubt you'll see any problem though.

Make sure those threads are in good shape, and CLEAN when going back together. (no old thread locker) This is where you really want accurate torqueing on those fasteners!

Sasquatch elbow kit, samcos, GDE eco FT. 11-26-14
80,500 miles, engine is disassembled, awaiting parts 3/18
Budget?? Sure! 'Everything I have'.
New "Pet" name for My Jeep; 'Soul Sucker'

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:03 pm 
LOST Newbie

:BANANA: thanks for your reply, did some more reading and found that same answer, lots more reading i might add, but is there a way to tell if any rockers have issues, ie. bent or seized without removing the cover. found a youtube vid where the guy turned the cam and heard a clicking sound?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:21 pm 
LOST Member

I'm afraid you'll have to take the covers off. a visible inspection really is the true answer.

Worn rollers I believe is the 'wear point' on these rockers, from what I've read.
But remember, an engine that uses hydraulic lifters, and has been not run for awhile, will have more lash until they've 'pumped up' after starting the engine.
I can't comment on what kind of click or snap we can hear is a sure sign of problems, or what is considered 'normal'.. I just don't have enough 'time' under my belt with this power plant!

fyi, my current project is a bad water pump bearing, causing the timing to slip big time.. I'm assuming the minimal damage is a pile of rockers that have self destructed 'by-design'.. I've got 16 new rockers coming from England. Just the rockers alone were 150 bucks delivered. (just the rockers, no lifter) I'm taking a chance that the wear and tear on my lifters and cams is acceptable, (80k miles). If I have further issues, and need cams/lifters, I'll have these for a spare set of rockers for 'next time'. The point here is for 150 bucks, it seems like a fair price to 'fix' to what seems a common found issue of worn rollers. Reading in 'here' seems like there is more guys finding pretty good slop than not.
There are only a few guys who've owned these since 'new'. Most are someone else's abandoned child.. who knows what crap they ran for oil?? Maybe there is something to this in our 'woes'..

Sasquatch elbow kit, samcos, GDE eco FT. 11-26-14
80,500 miles, engine is disassembled, awaiting parts 3/18
Budget?? Sure! 'Everything I have'.
New "Pet" name for My Jeep; 'Soul Sucker'