It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Issues with my '08 Jeep Liberty LTD
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:17 am 
LOST Newbie

Hello!

I bought my '08 Jeep Liberty LTD back in 2011.

I never messed with or had anybody else mess with my parking brake until earlier this year. It was removed, and it was discovered that it was badly rusted. It was cobbled back together until I could get the chance to have it replaced properly.

After it was cobbled back together, it started intermittently rubbing against the backing plate - making periodic scraping sounds.

I went to an auto repair place, where their temporary solution (since I still wasn't ready to have the whole parking brake assembly replaced) was to bang back the backing plate so it wouldn't be rubbing.

Somehow, this temporary solution ended up doing a few things, I think.

The following lights have come on my dash and now are permanently lit: Traction Control (the Jeep w/ squiggly lines underneath), "ABS", "ESP BAS", and "SERV 4WD".

And, as I discovered during the last few big snow storms, when I tried to toggle to 4WD instead of my usual 2WD, it didn't work. (I'm thinking my 4WD capabilities were disengaged?)

Obviously I need to get the parking brake assembly replaced.

But even after getting that done ... should that help clear up the rest of the resulting issues?

Any thoughts, suggestions, recommendations?

Please and thank you!

-Zoomly

Post subject: Re: Issues with my '08 Jeep Liberty LTD
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:32 am 
LOST Addict

Sounds like they might have damaged a wheel sensor or the wires going to it. The wheel sensors let the Jeep know how fast each wheel is turning, so it can use antilock brakes (ABS), traction control (ESP BAS), and brake lock differential when in 4wd (SERV 4WD). The wheel sensor on the rear wheels is right behind the caliper on the hub, on the side toward the front of the Jeep. I could see how someone doing brake work might inadvertently hit that, dislodge it, or disconnect/cut a wire. You could easily inspect the wires yourself and make sure the wire harness is connected well to each wheel sensor.

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates
Rock Lizard Skink Super Sliders
AtTheHelm Front Recovery System & Roof Rack

M116A3 Trailer build thread: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=77997

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:25 pm 
LOST Newbie

lfhoward -

Worst case scenario ... what, replacing a wheel sensor? (I would imagine the right rear one, where the parking brake is.)

Best case scenario ... replacing a wire?

Any idea of how much either of these extremes would likely run?

Thanks!

-Zoomly

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:21 pm 
LOST Addict

NAPA has the right rear ABS sensor for $17.99 and a replacement wire pigtail for $7.82. I searched for “ABS sensor” because the term “wheel sensor” brought up the tire pressure monitoring sensors.

BFG KO2’s 245/75R16
Full MOPAR skid plates
Rock Lizard Skink Super Sliders
AtTheHelm Front Recovery System & Roof Rack

M116A3 Trailer build thread: viewtopic.php?f=72&t=77997

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:58 am 
LOST Newbie

lfhoward - Thanks! Not as scary as I would have thought. Haha!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:40 pm 
LOST Newbie

I guess they never fixed the parking brakes in subsequent years. I have a 2006 and had issues with them since I got my Jeep 8 years ago. I finally had enough in the fall (seemed only one engaged which didn't do diddly). I bought a rebuild kit and took off the one I heard grinding or not engaging at all (depending on its mood). It was so corroded, dust and chunks of rusted metal came out and the hardware was pretty seized. Then before I took it apart, I realized it was together backwards (the springs and the adjuster)! I have no idea if someone tried fixing it before and did it wrong or Jeep put it in backwards from the get-go. Either way, it pushed the shoes into the insides of the drum on my disc and burned it all off. There was plenty of evidence of high heat on the metal that the other side did not have. Replaced the shoes and all the hardware, lubed it up and was all good. The other side had no wear on the shoes (I measured) after 12 years so I left them alone. I should adjust them again, but they work fine now.

But the rubbing on the backing plate was something I had too with the parking brake. It still does it from time to time so I don't engage it anymore. When I engage it, sometimes it gets stuck on the driver side and rubs ever so slightly on the rotor. Could be a similar problem with yours as mine with a rivet holding on the backing plate rotted away and when you engage and disengage the parking brake, it shifts (the parking brake and the backing plate are mounted together). My solution is pumping the parking brake a few times (stopped of course). For me, it puts it back where it needs to be and doesn't rub. Or don't use the parking brake unless you need to :) Those backing plates are cheap thin metal and they have a tendency to rot. Also, the small rivets holding it on are not the greatest. Only fix is taking off the axle and replacing the backing plate in my case.