It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 04 KJ Kayak Transportation
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 1:23 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hi - new here. I have an 04 KJ (no mods or anything fancy) and recently got a 8' SS Sit-In Kayak and am looking for suggestions on transportation products. I don't have a tow hitch installed and have the standard bars on top that run parallel. Can anyone suggest what I need? Thanks in advance! :)

Post subject: Re: 04 KJ Kayak Transportation
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 4:57 pm 
LOST Newbie

flamingogirl wrote:
Hi - new here. I have an 04 KJ (no mods or anything fancy) and recently got a 8' SS Sit-In Kayak and am looking for suggestions on transportation products. I don't have a tow hitch installed and have the standard bars on top that run parallel. Can anyone suggest what I need? Thanks in advance! :)

I don't have a kayak but a couple years ago was looking seriously at it. You'll need kayak holders. But you'll also need crossbars as well to mount the holders. The cross bars will mount to the bars already on your roof.

You don't have a tow hitch installed? Chrysler should have installed one for free with the gas tank recall. If it's not done, take it to a dealer and get it done. Then buy a wiring kit. They aren't much and the one I got was super easy to install (literally 5 minutes to plug it into the wiring. I can link for you if you're interested). That's what I did then built a trailer :)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:02 am 
LOST Newbie

The longitudinal bars fixed to either side of the roof of your KJ are called "roof rails"...roof bars are the transverse bars that fix between them, allowing you to hold things such as Canoes or Kayaks. Roof rails are designed to be aerodynamic, so they don't negatively effect your fuel consumption.
Roof bars come in different designs. The cheapest designs are usually a couple of lengths of rectangle or square steel box section, sometimes galvanised, sometimes just plated, sometimes painted or plastic coated, held onto the roof rails via some proprietary brackets. Because they offer a squared off face to the air running across the roof as you drive they not very aerodynamic and therefore they will increase your fuel consumption..They also greatly increase the level of wind noise you hear inside.
For this reason, some of the better roof bar manufacturers now offer "aero" roof bars, which are usually made from Aluminium extrusions that are oval in profile, greatly aiding the passage of air over them as you drive, which helps to both minimise their impact on fuel consumption and reduces wind noise.
Most can also be quickly fitted when required, or quickly removed when not required, via a locking catch on either end operated by a key, so you don't have to leave them permanently fitted, like you do with cheaper roof bars.
Another thing to consider is roof height...Roof bars will add height to your KJ, which is already a pretty tall car, and this could be an issue in some multi-story car parks that have height restrictions...If you forget you have them fitted, you could have an expensive repair on your hands!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:01 pm 
LOST Newbie

I have the Thule Aeroblade Edge bars, which I prefer the sleeker look of as compared to bars without integrated foot packs. I use the Thule hull-a-port pro's for the actual kayak carrier. They are foldable, which is nice if you keep your racks on all year round, but otherwise you could save a few dollars by getting a similar non-folding j-style carrier. The pro's have a good anchor point that makes strapping and stowing excess strap a bit easier, but nothing that wouldn't become second nature with any racks you chose after a few trips to the water. I'll second the tall vehicle comment - I have a difficult time with my longer yak (16.5 feet). It is an awkward position. However, if you are only planning to carry one kayak, you can get a saddle-style rack that you may slide a kayak onto from the back.

2007 Jeep Liberty 3.7 L

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:56 am 
LOST Newbie

A cross bar might help.