It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Clutch kit brand recommendation for 03 KJ 5-spd 3.7, please
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:42 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hi, wondering what brand is best for aftermarket clutch kit on my 03 KJ 5-spd 3.7l 4wd.

New Mopar clutch kit installed during engine job at a local shop. Bad TO bearing.
The replacement TO sent from dealership/Mopar is another bad part.
So now the Mopar kit will be returned.

I had a LUK clutch set installed as the second clutch (replaced OE clutch at 155k miles, pilot bearing blew otherwise it was in perfect condition).
The LUK has been solid for the past 65k miles. But replacement was in 2013. Unsure if the brand is still good etc.

Thank you for any suggestions and advice!!

PS- there's also a weirdness happening with the console shifter and 4wd/E brake levers being off plumb since the first one was installed. Mech will look into it by removing the console this time but wondering if anyone else ever had that issue? Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Clutch kit brand recommendation for 03 KJ 5-spd 3.7, ple
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:02 am 
LOST Member

I have had LUK clutch kits fitted on my 2002 Export CRD twice in its lifetime so far.

Seem to work fine! :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:54 am 
LOST Newbie

Thanks Billybob! :)

Yeah, the LUK I had in it was fine. Was going to use LUK again but I've been reading a ton of reviews saying the TOB changed to a composite (inner plastic sleeve) and has been a issue as a result.

Maybe we got lucky with ours. I can say with 99% certainty the LUK TOB I had was all metal in 2013. I remember looking at it in the box to learn the parts. Plastic parts would have made me question why.

I've also read warnings about the OEM/Mopar TOB being garbage. So that explains why I've gone thru 2 TOBs in 13 days. Total of 24 days since the TOB has been a problem (weekends and waiting for shop evals and part to arrive) :( For an OEM Mopar kit costing over $500, it's beyond frustrating and unacceptable.

Now considering Sachs, AMS, or Centerforce. Leaning away from Centerforce because of the week it takes for build + ship (from AZ, according to the guy at 4WD dot com, he said they hand make them per order??). That's just too long to wait.

Anyone have any recent experience with or knowledge of Sachs and/or AMS? Need to get this resolved soon.

Thank you!!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:29 am 
LOST Newbie

Can't go wrong with Luk. Centerforce is another good brand yet pricey.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:41 am 
LOST Newbie

Thanks for your reply rhyanb12.

I had to make the decision back in mid Sept when I posted. Ended up going with AMS.
Would've done LUK again if not for the recent negative reviews about their TOB composite etc.

Will NEVER do a Mopar clutch kit again. Two garbage Mopar TOBs in 3 weeks...maybe thanks, Fiat? :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:55 pm 
LOST Member

Howdy,

I have a 2005, Six Speed Manual and just did a complete clutch replace. I looked for Centerforce but 4WDParts.com said they were either discontinued or unavailable so they sent me Crown Kit. I bought my Pilot Bearing at NAPA parts store.
You are right about the Throw Out Bearing as mine had two deep grooves worn into it.

I was told by another member here that Crown was crap. IDK so I will see how it works out. I do notice how smoothly the Liberty shifts now.

It is said you can not resurface the Flywheel but the local Machine Shop guy seemed to know what he was doing and charged me $120. to remove a small bit of the surface. The Flywheel is slightly convex profiled he told me and that it was in good shape.

So many little details on our Jeeps that I did not seem to run into when I owned Toyota pick ups. They were easier to work on and maintain. :JEEPIN:

2005 Sport, Light Khaki, manual trans 6 speed, front spacer lift, tinted glass, tow hooks, ProComp black rock crawler rims, Toyo AT tires, K+ N filter charger, Magnaflow muffler, Bilstein shocks, Daystar sway bar bushings, skid plates, trailer hitch, fogs, 50 watt back up bulbs, Sylvania plus headlights, Thule rack and SiriusX Satellite radio.