It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How to determine the extent my engine is damaged?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:29 pm 
LOST Newbie

I have an 06 liberty CRD which has been parked up for a while after the engine blew. I am not sure to what extent the damage is and I want to see if I can find out before giving up on it. from my research it seems its impossible to remove the oil pan without lifting the engine out- anyone who can confirm this? I was thinking even if I can tilt the pan down 2 inches or so just to see if I have any broken pieces in the pan.

I am wondering if maybe just my timing belt went- and would like to take off the front cover. I found a great youtube channel, CORobotchicken who has detailed CRD vidoes.. it seems to take the timing cover off its necessary to remove the front clip? Anyone who can confirm what has to really come off just to take a look under the timing cover?

I did see sparks fly behind me when the engine died, so i think its more carnage than just a timing belt and rockers. I was running for a few days on mostly distilled water, doing a few drain and fills to remove the wrong coolant which was mixed with what belonged in it after my mechanic at the time replaced the tstat and topped off with the wrong coolant, which didnt mix well but ran fine for months, until i decided id replace all the coolant with zercon, so i had done a few drain and fills and am thinking running (although for a short time/distance) on mostly distilled water may have caused the failure.

I honestly have no idea where to start looking to figure out the extent of the damage seeing it appears its impossible to even remove the oil pan unless the engine comes out of the jeep.

Any thoughts?
Thanks, Pete

Post subject: Re: How to determine the extent my engine is damaged?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:04 pm 

Where are you located? Removal of the front items is helpful but not totally required just to remove the timing belt cover for a look see.
Being you saw sparks when it blew is certainly not a good sign. :shock:
I have a good spare engine that only needs rockers if needed. :D

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:21 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hi thanks for your reply. I am in New York - on Long Island, where I have yet to hear of any other CRDs.
I will bring some tools home from work tomorrow and try to get the cover off without removing what isn't necessary.

If it really grenaded, which i will assume it did based on the sparks and oil allover the engine bay, since I don't see any external holes in the block i guess unless i look down into the cylinders I really wont know the extent of the damage. I was hoping i could look from the bottom up with the oil pan removed but seems its not possible.

I may be interested in a replacement 2.8 in the next couple months if mine truly is a goner. How many miles on yours? I'm assuming timing belt broke :/

-Pete

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:55 am 

PeteCRD wrote:
Hi thanks for your reply. I am in New York - on Long Island, where I have yet to hear of any other CRDs.
I will bring some tools home from work tomorrow and try to get the cover off without removing what isn't necessary.
If it really grenaded, which i will assume it did based on the sparks and oil allover the engine bay, since I don't see any external holes in the block i guess unless i look down into the cylinders I really wont know the extent of the damage. I was hoping i could look from the bottom up with the oil pan removed but seems its not possible.
I may be interested in a replacement 2.8 in the next couple months if mine truly is a goner. How many miles on yours? I'm assuming timing belt broke :/
-Pete

Yes, it broke a timing belt.
Sent you a PM.

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:41 am 
LOST Addict

PeteCRD wrote:
I have an 06 liberty CRD which has been parked up for a while after the engine blew. I am not sure to what extent the damage is and I want to see if I can find out before giving up on it. from my research it seems its impossible to remove the oil pan without lifting the engine out- anyone who can confirm this? I was thinking even if I can tilt the pan down 2 inches or so just to see if I have any broken pieces in the pan.

I am wondering if maybe just my timing belt went- and would like to take off the front cover. I found a great youtube channel, CORobotchicken who has detailed CRD vidoes.. it seems to take the timing cover off its necessary to remove the front clip? Anyone who can confirm what has to really come off just to take a look under the timing cover?

I did see sparks fly behind me when the engine died, so i think its more carnage than just a timing belt and rockers. I was running for a few days on mostly distilled water, doing a few drain and fills to remove the wrong coolant which was mixed with what belonged in it after my mechanic at the time replaced the tstat and topped off with the wrong coolant, which didnt mix well but ran fine for months, until i decided id replace all the coolant with zercon, so i had done a few drain and fills and am thinking running (although for a short time/distance) on mostly distilled water may have caused the failure.

I honestly have no idea where to start looking to figure out the extent of the damage seeing it appears its impossible to even remove the oil pan unless the engine comes out of the jeep.

Any thoughts?
Thanks, Pete

Hi Pete, thats my youtube channel you were looking at.

You might do better getting responses in the CRD section:
viewforum.php?f=5

You don't have to take the front clip off to get the timing cover, but its much easier IMO to just do it that way.

IF you can get the fan shroud off without pulling the front you can get the cover off to look. Its possible, but you spend so much time trying to fight it out that I've found its much quicker to just pull the bumper and other stuff.

Also, if you end up needing to replace an engine you will find it easier to install a new one with the front stuff out to slide it in.

I'd recommending picking up a big enough tarp, folding the back seats down, and placing everything in the back as you take it apart. Bag up small items like the plastic fasteners that hold the plastics bumper and shrouds on, labeling them as you go. Things like bolts screw them back in after you have taken it apart, like if you remove the electric fan screw the 3 bolts that hold it on back into the intercooler right away, this keeps you from loosing those 3 bolts and it keeps the square nuts from falling out of the intercooler.

Do it this way and you will minimize the risk of forgetting or loosing stuff long term, and you can also properly take it apart to figure out whats happened.

Look around on craigslist, there have been some pretty cheap CRDs, like $1500-2500 that needed work but otherwise had good engines, maybe engines with bad rockers, but still useable.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:20 pm 

Like Sam suggested, bag and / or label everything!
And before you start and during the disassembly process, take plenty of pictures for reference to look at.
You will be glad you did when you start putting things back together.

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch