It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Interest check: KJ flasher switches modified for LEDs
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:40 am 

Hopefully this doesn't contravene any board rules re: gauging interest or advertising. I did look around for guidelines, but didn't find anything covering this so apologies in advance if I'm stepping over a line.

In any event: I'd like to find out how much (if any) interest there may be in KJ flasher relays that are modified to allow proper operation of LED turn signals. This is a plug & play solution that eliminates LED hyperflash when the turn signals or hazard lights are in use.

There are two common ways to stop hyperflash: one, splice load resistors in line with the positive wiring to each turn signal bulb; two, replace the turn signal and/or flasher relay with an electronic one that can sense the lower current draw of the LED bulbs and pulse them correctly.

Adding load resistors introduces the possibility of wiring issues down the road as well as the potential for failure of the resistors themselves. Electronic relays are generally preferred as they eliminate these possibilities, but, as KJs use relays for the turn signals and hazard lights that are an integral part of the hazard switch, there are no inexpensive off-the-shelf replacement electronic relays that can be used. However, it is possible to modify the KJ's hazard switch to allow proper operation of LED turn signals.

Clearly, the instructions to perform this modification are openly available to anyone comfortable with doing so. This is why I intend to offer this modification as a service, with two options for how it is performed:

• Send me your existing hazard switch and I'll modify and test it before shipping it to you.
  • I will obtain a used switch from the junkyard and modify and test it before shipping it to you.

If you send me your switch, pricing is $30 shipped via Priority Mail in the Continental US.

If I have to pull a junkyard switch, pricing is $40 shipped via Priority Mail in the Continental US.

This modification is valid for all 2002 to 2007 model year KJs, gas or diesel.

At this time, I do not have stock of these waiting to go out - I'm just judging interest. Is there any?

JBA Lifted A-Arms
IRO WJ Short Rear UCA/WWDiesel mount
Skid Row Skidplates
HDS Model 001 Thermostat (190°F)
Suncoast TC
Full Weeks Kit
Bosch 5V glow plugs
Hayden 2986 fan clutch / GM 11-blade fan
Samco / Sasquatch Intake Hoses
Carter in-tank pump
Provent 200
V6 Airbox

Last edited by casm on Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Interest check: KJ flasher switches modified for LEDs
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:46 pm 

I would be interested in the $40 option. :wink:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:31 pm 

WWDiesel wrote:
I would be interested in the $40 option. :wink:

Well, since I have some time on my hands for the foreseeable future, I'll order some resistors and pull probably enough hazard switches to build about 6 or 8 of these. Should hopefully have a batch together around the end of next week.

JBA Lifted A-Arms
Skid Row Skidplates
Suncoast TC
Full Weeks Kit
Bosch 5V glow plugs
Carter in-tank pump
Provent 200
V6 Airbox

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:03 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

So you are interested in advertising and selling your product on Lostjeeps.com? Great!

Advertising and selling your product on the Lostjeeps forum is a great way to get your business noticed by thousands of Jeep owners! The advertising dollars also go help support the costs of keeping this forum available to the public for free. Thank you for your advertising support at Lostjeeps.com!!!

To advertise all you need to do is contact the forum admin and you will get pricing and levels of advertising available.

Forum Admin and Advertising: Heather
Email to contact: jeepingheather@yahoo.com
Email to send payment: jeepingheather@yahoo.com

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:07 pm 

tommudd wrote:
So you are interested in advertising and selling your product on Lostjeeps.com? Great!

Right now, I have no product(s) to advertise or sell. Nothing is made.

Quote:
Advertising and selling your product on the Lostjeeps forum is a great way to get your business noticed by thousands of Jeep owners!

...At least a dozen of whom are likely to be interested in it. Being realistic about it, of those thousands of Jeep owners, it would take all of them to purchase it for the roughly $8 per unit I'm likely to make in profit on this to be anything that could be considered a business.

Quote:
The advertising dollars also go help support the costs of keeping this forum available to the public for free. Thank you for your advertising support at Lostjeeps.com!!!

Please refer to my post from last July that went unanswered regarding paid forum membership. I have no problem with contributing to the upkeep of this forum, but I cannot do so when those able to accept my payment do not respond to my requests to provide support.

Quote:
To advertise all you need to do is contact the forum admin and you will get pricing and levels of advertising available.

Forum Admin and Advertising: Heather
Email to contact: jeepingheather@yahoo.com
Email to send payment: jeepingheather@yahoo.com

Good to know who I need to reach out to in order to do that. However, I suspect that given the volume of interest that I am likely to see for the service I would like to provide vs. what advertising as a KJ-supporting business may cost, it's likely not in my best financial interests to do so. Therefore, I will cease offering this service on lostjeeps.com.

I thoroughly apologise for having the temerity to be open as to my intent, and will certainly never overstep my bounds in that regard again.

JBA Lifted A-Arms
Skid Row Skidplates
Suncoast TC
Full Weeks Kit
Bosch 5V glow plugs
Carter in-tank pump
Provent 200
V6 Airbox