It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: TPMS light on after ignition switch actuator replaced
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:22 am 
LOST Newbie

Hay all,

Checking to see if anyone has an idea on this.

So my ignition switch actuator went out, turned key and felt like something broke and Jeep would not crank over.

I replaced the actuator switch by watching a youtube video. Took two hours but I got it done and was able to get home.

On the way home my TPMS light on the dash started to flash for a few seconds every ten minutes or so. On my EVIC the pressure readings for all the tires were just dashes "--"

Every once in awhile I would get a tire reading but mostly just all dashes.

Ive tried to disconnect the battery to clear the tpms light. no go
I checked all the tire presssure to 35 psi. still no go even checked the spare tire pressure.
Drove over 30 minutes above 20 mph to reset the system. still no go
Took the Jeep to a tire shop and checked all tire sensors work and batteries are ok.

Went to Jeep dealership and got a printout of the sensors. Seems there is a control module by the key cylinder that gets the readings from the tires. I didnt mess with this when I did the ignition switch actuator but its in the same area I was working in. Could I have damaged this module?

The tpms light came on the first drive about ten minutes after I replaced the ignition switch actuator. Not sure exactly how I screwed up the tpms system but everything was working fine before I replaced the ignition switch actuator.

Anyone else run into this problem?

2006 Liberty Limited CRD with remote keyless entry.

Thanks for the help.

Post subject: Re: TPMS light on after ignition switch actuator replaced
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:37 am 
LOST Member

Weird!

So you replaced the Actuator Pin assembly but kept the original Ignition Switch?

You may just have a loose connection in to the ignition switch area.
There are two problems that have been reported when replacing the Actuator Pin Assembly though I do not see how that could relate to your problem.

The pin assembly is hollow inside and has thin sliver that protrudes when the key is inserted....this presses on a small separate switch within the ignition switch and produces that "Ping" when you open the door when the key is inserted. Some owners have that sliver too long so it gives a constant Ping even with key removed and others the sliver was too short so key in ignition switch was never activated.

Other problems with a new pin assembly is its radial relationship to the ignition switch ie. too far clockwise or counter-clockwise. My Export 2002 CRD Manual picked up a problem when still fairly new in that when I turn the ignition ON I am supposed to depress the clutch pedal so the clutch interlock switch make and then I can turn the ignition key that final step to start the engine.
In my case as soon as I depressed the clutch the engine would turn over without me turning the ignition that final amount so I elongated the mounting hole in the ignition switch so as to retard the switch position a fraction.

Other owners had the ignition switch not making the final movement so the engine would not turn over so they had to advance the switch position slightly.

Have a good look at the ignition switch/actuator pin area for any loose wires or fitting issues.
You can leave the ignition switch off the end of the pin assembly, place key in its slot and turn it all the way so as to unlock steering lock and enable SKIS anti-theft. Then turn the ignition switch with a small flat screwdriver to start the engine and take a short drive like this to see if you problem returns.

Moving the steering column up or down while working in that area may have shorted or moved some wire in that area. Check the connections to the SKIM module at the top of the steering column which does the reading of the inserted chipped key.

Read up on how the TPMS system works by downloading the Jeep KJ Service Manual for your year KJ here if you have not already done so. :wink:

Manuals: http://www.colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/KJ

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:23 pm 
LOST Newbie

I have the same exact issue at the original post. I was also recently unable to start my 07 Liberty a few weeks ago. I had it towed to a shop and they told me the ignition switch actuator was broken and needed to be replaced.
They replaced the switch, I believe with a Dorman equivalent part. Immediately after that I was not able to receive tire pressure readings on my EVIC, though occasionally one tire pressure will show up for a few minutes and then return to "---".

I also tried disconnecting the battery and hoping it would reset, but no success.

I found someone reported a very similar issue on another Liberty forum. viewtopic.php?f=5&t=87943

From the post it seems that they both disconnected the WCM and reconnected (didn't seem to resolve), and then after reading of a similar issue on a Wrangler forum the next day, decided to reduce the tire pressure on each tire by at least 5 Psi. After that it sounds like his EVIC started displaying all tire pressures correctly.

In case disconnecting and reconnecting the WCM and reducing the tire pressure as a combination solved the issue, I attempted both. No success still.

Any other ideas?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:45 am 
LOST Member

This khusboo looks like a BOT or Troll that has put my post through a wringer and stated exactly what I have posted but in a very mangled form.

Please do not feed the BOT or Troll.....only add any information that may be relevant to the owners experiencing this TPMS problem! :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:18 pm 
LOST Newbie

Bumping this back to top.

I’m still having this problem. Any help?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:14 pm 
LOST Member

Location: Virginia, west of D.C. / In the middle of moving to Roanoke
Davesub wrote:
Bumping this back to top.

I’m still having this problem. Any help?

Same.
Jiggled the connections once, but I probably need to do it again and be more systematic.

- Weeks Kit Stage 1.
- Weeks Kit Stage 2.
- JBA 2.5 inch Silver kit and UCAs installed at 125K miles.
- Weeks supplied Samco Intercooler Hoses and clamps.

Waiting for time, limber fingers, and good weather to do my HDS Model 001 Thermostat unit swap.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:58 am 
LOST Member

Reading up on the 2005/6 EVIC it seems to describe a TPMS re-learning procedure performed via the EVIC.

Means nothing to me as I have an old 2002 Export and EVICs were not even available then.

Jeep KJ Service Manuals:

http://www.colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/KJ/