It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2 replacement belts self destructing help
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:45 pm 
LOST Newbie

Help Please new here have major problem. I am a recent liberty crd owner and bought weeks stage 1 and 2 and installed them no issues. I also replaced the timing belt with a kit from ID parts I pinned the cams and flywheel at 3 oclock 90 degress after tdc replaced the water pump, idlers and tensioner. replaced the cam gears and belt set tension and started it up ran fine put outer cover back on and everything else back together filled water started and ran like crap. Smoke coming from belt area, tore it all apart again and all rockers were broken belt 3/4 gone rapped around the crank. ordered new rockers installed put new belt on made sure everything was correct timing was perfect ran great with outer cover off reinstalled everything started bang same exact thing happend tore all apart all rockers broken half the belt wrapped around crank. what is going on?

Solved: Can't believe I lost 2 sets of rockers and belts before figuring out the cause. I got the bolts that hold the harmonic balancer on mixed up with 4 bolts about 1/4 inch longer from the EGR delete
and because I put the front timing cover on I did not notice them directly interfering with the belt at the crank. Expensive little bolts.... Hopefully this helps someone in the future before they wreck the second set. Not to bright to do the second belt in, I thought I must have had the timing not right the first time.

I am from the Okanagan BC. WW Diesel, I figured it out last night, thought I would come post the fix, and noticed layback40 had it figured out to thanks for the replies guys

Last edited by luk on Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: 2 replacement belts self destructing help
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:12 pm 

Where are you located?
Location always helps.

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:14 am 
LOST Junkie

Clearly you are doing something wrong when you put it all back together. Broken rockers are the result of belt destruction. Is a wrong length bolt being used & so destroying the belt? Is the tensioner set properly? It does sound like a timing issue as rockers broken, but you say it ran ok when belt first put on. so belt destruction resulted in out of timing that resulted in rocker damage. Were both cam pullies installed correctly? The 3/4 belt destruction the first time should have given you a hint as to what was damaging it.

Good luck with your detective work!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:45 am 
LOST Member

Welcome to the site!

You need to post CRD issues in the "Liberty CRD Love That Torque" section where you will get the most traffic :wink:

I definitely would not try the belt replacement by myself...very complicated...but there are lots of owners here who have done so and would be able to help you and there are many posts about the procedure.

State where you are located...there are some Experts here who may be nearby to you and who do this belt replacement at a charge which is cheaper than you causing more damage :?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:28 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
Welcome!

Thank you for 1) Letting us know you solved the issue, and 2) Letting us know WHAT the solution was, that worked!

It's sort of surprising how often those don't happen!

oh yeah, 3) Thanks for not blaming it on the machine or the kits :lol:

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:37 am 

luk wrote:
Solved: Can't believe I lost 2 sets of rockers and belts before figuring out the cause. I got the bolts that hold the harmonic balancer on mixed up with 4 bolts about 1/4 inch longer from the EGR delete
and because I put the front timing cover on I did not notice them directly interfering with the belt at the crank. Expensive little bolts.... Hopefully this helps someone in the future before they wreck the second set. Not to bright to do the second belt in, I thought I must have had the timing not right the first time.
I am from the Okanagan BC. WW Diesel, I figured it out last night, thought I would come post the fix, and noticed layback40 had it figured out to thanks for the replies guys

That was an expensive little lesson in what not to do! :banghead:
Thanks much for sharing, it may help someone in the future or at least let people know to be conscious of the fact about correct bolt lengths and locations. :shock:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 11:52 pm 
LOST Newbie

luk wrote:
Help Please new here have major problem. I am a recent liberty crd owner and bought weeks stage 1 and 2 and installed them no issues. I also replaced the timing belt with a kit from ID parts I pinned the cams and flywheel at 3 oclock 90 degress after tdc replaced the water pump, idlers and tensioner. replaced the cam gears and belt set tension and started it up ran fine put outer cover back on and everything else back together filled water started and ran like crap. Smoke coming from belt area, tore it all apart again and all rockers were broken belt 3/4 gone rapped around the crank. ordered new rockers installed put new belt on made sure everything was correct timing was perfect ran great with outer cover off reinstalled everything started bang same exact thing happend tore all apart all rockers broken half the belt wrapped around crank. what is going on?

Solved: Can't believe I lost 2 sets of taxi orly rockers and belts before figuring out the cause. I got the bolts that hold the harmonic balancer on mixed up with 4 bolts about 1/4 inch longer from the EGR delete

This is my first time here and I just want to say that I’m very happy to be here and to share my opinion.
Thanks!