It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dimmer wiring
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:14 pm 
LOST Newbie

Have a 2002 kJ and wiring in new switches for a rear locker. I’d like to tap into the dimmer so the switch lights work with the instrument panel and at night my switches don’t blind me, but having a hard time locating a good place to tap. Any help?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post subject: Re: Dimmer wiring
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:21 pm 

mercdude wrote:
Have a 2002 kJ and wiring in new switches for a rear locker. I’d like to tap into the dimmer so the switch lights work with the instrument panel and at night my switches don’t blind me, but having a hard time locating a good place to tap. Any help?

Pull the instrument cluster out, you can find the instrument cluster lights power wire with a 12v test light or volt meter.

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:16 am 
LOST Newbie

Threw my voltmeter back on the multi-switch stalk and found, to my surprise, that the top left (from drivers seat) orange with red stripe wire carries modulated voltage (between 0.8v to 4.8v) tied to the dimmer switch. BUT it's also tied to the interior lights. So when the door opens and interior lights go on, that light will stay on for a few seconds and then time out. Actually every time you adjust the dimmer switch, it powers up and then goes into a timer mode, UNLESS the headlights are switched on (or, probably, locked with remote). Which all means, I found the wire for constant dimmed 12v power but not dimmed AND switched power 12v power. This dimmed power will go to my independent switch light - when lights are on, dimmed light to match dash (hopefully). Bad side is that every time I open the door they will also slightly illuminate. Better to find the dimmed power from behind the instrument panel but that is a pain - after looking at the diagrams, I think it's a orange with brown stripe wire but not confirmed.

For switched 12v power, I added a circuit on the fuse 32 (radio) 10a circuit. This switched constant 12v will go to my dependent switch light - when ignition is turned to "on" or start, my switch (when toggled) will fully illuminate.

Jut so everyone knows how to wire up new switches for future use.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:09 pm 

This is the connector to the back side of the instrument cluster panel on an 05 Jeep CRD with primary wiring circuits identified that can be used for installing gauges or switches.
The instrument cluster is very easy to R&R. :D

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:29 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thought about it some more: I'm going to seek out this elusive instrument panel wire because it will forever annoy me to have my switches illuminate with the interior lighting. But thanks for the info! I'm not sure it's the same for the 02-04 KJ's, but at least I can look for wire#3 and use that for switched+dimmed 12v. I'll keep you all posted.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:41 pm 
LOST Newbie

Checked the instrument panel wiring: for early kJs it’s a solid orange wire that’s dimmed. Have to take off the bezel first but as mentioned earlier, easy removal. Throw a t-tap on the orange wire and you’re good to go.

Finished up my wiring job and successfully ran a relay and double switches. Only problem is that because the ox locker actuator is reverse polarity, the dimmed 12v doesn’t work until the switch is turned on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk