It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Brake Pads OE or aftermarket?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:51 am 
LOST Newbie

I sold my ZJ with 248K miles on it (still ran great) and bought a 2017 WK2. I'm at 49K miles and thinking about front brake pads. I love the OE pads - stop really good and no brake dust on wheels. The dealership wants $80 and says they fit perfectly, where aftermarket pads are made to fit several different vehicles and many time this requires shims/clips.
Are the OE pads (they have a lifetime warranty) really worth $80 versus a good ceramic aftermarket pad for $50???
I know $30 isn't much difference but the drive to the dealership is 110 miles and my nearest parts store is 18 miles

Post subject: Re: Brake Pads OE or aftermarket?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:25 am 
LOST Newbie

If an aftermarket set of brake pads is listed for your model than it doesn't require modifications to be installed, so I guess the dealer is just trying to make a sale.
$80 isn't a bad price, although there is nothing wrong with the aftermarket pads, especially if you choose a reliable brand.
For example, you can look at these EBC OEM replacement pads https://www.carid.com/2017-jeep-grand-c ... 82475.html
I used a few sets of these for my JK and wife's KJ...there's no difference at all

Post subject: Re: Brake Pads OE or aftermarket?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:30 am 
LOST Newbie

Aftermarket should be fine. The dealer is feeding you a line of crap. Aftermarket pads aren't universal like that anymore. I could see that on a 1977 something or other, but not today. And any reputable pad is already shimmed. Clips are application specific. Your GC has clips. I prefer Bendix, Raybestos, or Wagner. After so many brake jobs I learned that if you want longevity and quiet pick a name brand. The OEM pads are likely made by one of the big brand name companies. I've had the worst luck with Centric brand parts and anything from Autozone. NAPA has good stuff.

My KJ is currently running the cheap Chinese slotted/drilled rotors with pads combo from Detroit Axle off of Amazon ($130 for 4 rotors + pads). Max Brakes and R1 Concepts are the same stuff basically. They work well for a little bit, but in two or three years you have to replace it all again.