It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Keyless entry non-functional (alarm works just fine, though)
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:45 am 

Yesterday, after about a 30-minute drive, I parked the Jeep at my destination, got out, and hit the door lock button on the key. Nothing happened - no locks, no lights, no horn.

Figuring it was probably just a dead battery in the key, I locked the doors manually and went about my business. The driver's door unlocked manually without any issues, setting off the alarm in the process. Putting the key in the ignition and turning it to the on position switched off the alarm and I was able to start and drive the vehicle normally.

Upon returning home, I tried the second key to see what would happen. Same results.

I checked both batteries in both keys with a meter; voltage is fine. Key fobs are OEM, not aftermarket.

Any ideas? I'm at a loss on this one, and the info regarding this problem that I've been digging up so far isn't KJ-specific. Right now my best thought is to disconnect the battery and let the computer(s) reset, but am concerned that this may cause issues with the key programming.

JBA Lifted A-Arms
IRO WJ Short Rear UCA/WWDiesel mount
Skid Row Skidplates
HDS Model 001 Thermostat (190°F)
Suncoast TC
Full Weeks Kit
Bosch 5V glow plugs
Hayden 2986 fan clutch / GM 11-blade fan
Samco / Sasquatch Intake Hoses
Carter in-tank pump
Provent 200
V6 Airbox

Post subject: Re: Keyless entry non-functional (alarm works just fine, tho
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:56 pm 
LOST Member

You should post this in the "Liberty CRD...Love that Torque"...section as this section and the Frequently asked Questions sections have been invaded by Robots!

I doubt pulling the battery leads off for a while will cause any harm.

The Remote Key Entry on the 2005 CRD should be a module plugged on the back of the BCM which is on the rear-side of the interior fuse panel ie. Junction Block. This is a module about the size of a cigarette pack.

Re-plug it as it may have a bad connection.
Check all the fuses on the fuse panel.
There is Driver Door Relay on the rear side of the Junction Block...they may use that for RKE while making use of the door lock to unlock the Driver door via the door switch.

Otherwise you have to go through the wiring diagrams but as you say...not much information on how this works! I have never worked in this area before myself. :?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:24 am 

Billybob wrote:
You should post this in the "Liberty CRD...Love that Torque"...section as this section and the Frequently asked Questions sections have been invaded by Robots!

No kidding. It looks like a Star Wars sequel in here at times.

Quote:
I doubt pulling the battery leads off for a while will cause any harm.

The Remote Key Entry on the 2005 CRD should be a module plugged on the back of the BCM which is on the rear-side of the interior fuse panel ie. Junction Block. This is a module about the size of a cigarette pack.

Thanks for that - I'll chase it down in the next day or two, time permitting. Right now the problem appears to be intermittent and unaffected by replacing the batteries in either remote, as well as not being range-dependent (i.e., sometimes it works standing right next to the vehicle, sometimes it works from 30 yards away, and sometimes it doesn't work at all), which leads me to believe that some contact cleaner might not also be a bad idea.

Quote:
Re-plug it as it may have a bad connection.
Check all the fuses on the fuse panel.
There is Driver Door Relay on the rear side of the Junction Block...they may use that for RKE while making use of the door lock to unlock the Driver door via the door switch.

Fuses already checked out, so things are good on that score. Hadn't torn into the wiring diagrams yet, largely because I'm kinda busy with other stuff right now, but good to know about the relay. Will check into that.

Quote:
Otherwise you have to go through the wiring diagrams but as you say...not much information on how this works! I have never worked in this area before myself. :?

I've fitted aftermarketand OEM RKE units to a handful of cars in the past, but I've never had to deal with one that was showing this kind of behaviour. Slightly frustrating that I seem to be the guinea pig :P

JBA Lifted A-Arms
Skid Row Skidplates
Suncoast TC
Full Weeks Kit
Bosch 5V glow plugs
Carter in-tank pump
Provent 200
V6 Airbox

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:39 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
I agree with all the above advise regarding the RKE and the non effect regarding SKIM

There is, however, one issue you could run into.
When you disconnect the battery, for the reset, you will likely get a MIL and a code when you re-connect the battery. This code is short-term persistent, and basically indicates that the battery was disconnected. It can be cleared by any scanner that can read the error code. (first level, easy).
I don't know if this code self-cancels after so many uses, or such. I've always just reset it as I'm impatient that way.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:04 am 

Finally had some time yesterday to chase this down.

Removed the RKE module, sprayed various connectors down with some QD contact cleaner, and put it back in. Everything seems to be working as normal.

No idea if it had just worked its way slightly loose or if the connectors were mildly oxidised, but the keys now work from their usual 100-foot range again.

Appreciate all the pointers on this one, folks :D

JBA Lifted A-Arms
Skid Row Skidplates
Suncoast TC
Full Weeks Kit
Bosch 5V glow plugs
Carter in-tank pump
Provent 200
V6 Airbox

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:52 pm 
LOST Newbie

I remember an article I read 20+ years ago. It had this very statement in it, "for years good grounds were important in your car, but today's cars require great grounds." Now every connection has to be great! :)

Lando Liberty 2011 Kk