It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: It was suggested
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:55 am 
LOST Newbie

that pics of what you have been upto on you vehicle could help others when I posted in the newbie section, so hope these dont bore you tooooo much!!

Bought the Jeep in March this year, knowing the rear main oil seal had gone and it was heavy on the miles 164000, being a 2.8 VM Motori engine didn't worry me too much as I have another vehicle within my family with the 2.5 version that is a Chrysler Voyager, connected to a manual box. presently my daughter has custody, previous to that my Son had it, previous to that it was with us for 4 years in France as they didnt like the LPG fitment to my Range Rover, P38, there endouth my long ride with Land Rover products. On returning to the UK I purchased a VW Touareg, wish I had never sold it but circumstances were a lot different.

Since owning the Jeep we have

I say we have, as I had a Liver transplant in 2014 all that is left of my body that works is my mind, even that's doubtful, but hey I am alive and can annoy people!! I will be forever in the Dept of my Son, Son in law and my Daughter, who is very mechanically capable, I have 4 other daughters but they wouldn't break a nail !!

It came with new discs and pads all round all the oil's have been emptied and renewed

2 decent tyres

oil leak from rear main seal, I will let the pics do the talking.

as soon as I work out how to, back soon....................................

THEY SAID I WAS DELUSIONAL............ I ALMOST FELL OFF MY UNICORN

Post subject: Re: It was suggested
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:04 am 

Bigjohn69 wrote:
Range Rover, P38, there endouth my long ride with Land Rover products

Ah, another ex-Land Rover products owner :mrgreen: Briefly had a faded yellow 1974 while at University; didn't own it for very long as I could never get it to return better than 9mpg (no LPG conversion, sadly) and just could not afford its dipsomania. Loved it, though. Funnily enough, the first two 4x4s I ever owned were a pair of ex-farm Series IIA SWB diesels - had to take the dead one to get the good one, and swapped the Series III gearbox from the dead one into the good one to enjoy the miracle of synchromesh on all four gears. Wish I'd had access to an SD1 5-speed, but wasn't aware of that possibility at the time.

Quote:
oil leak from rear main seal, I will let the pics do the talking.

Ah, yes, was just there myself (well, farmed that one out to a shop, if I'm honest - was 1300 miles from home at the time) at around 141,000. Know the aroma well.

Best of luck with the KJ. You'll likely find that they're a decent vehicle when properly sorted, but take - let's call it - persistence to get into shape.

JBA Lifted A-Arms
IRO WJ Short Rear UCA/WWDiesel mount
Skid Row Skidplates
HDS Model 001 Thermostat (190°F)
Suncoast TC
Full Weeks Kit
Bosch 5V glow plugs
Hayden 2986 fan clutch / GM 11-blade fan
Samco / Sasquatch Intake Hoses
Carter in-tank pump
Provent 200
V6 Airbox

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:57 pm 

casm wrote:
but take - let's call it - persistence to get into shape.

Gosh that's an understatement; your being very kind! :ROTFL:
How about "dedication along with Plenty of money"? :banghead:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:05 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
WWDiesel wrote:
casm wrote:
but take - let's call it - persistence to get into shape.

Gosh that's an understatement; your being very kind! :ROTFL:
How about "dedication along with Plenty of money"? :banghead:

Just call it as I see it. (Kids Inheritance)

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:49 am 
LOST Newbie

Second hand engine sourced, if I had known what we now know (Crystal Ball batteries obviously flat) we would of only changed the rear main oil seal, but no numb nuts went for another engine as it had half the mileage.

Seemed foolish not to change the rear main before putting engine in, this was done along with a complete water pump assembly, and timing belt with idlers, the little piece of metal on the glass table was my 'stop the cam wheels turning' proved very simple and very effective!!

On turning the engine over with the belt and everything correct we found it would not go past TDC obviously i had either cocked up in my timing marks as there was no flexi plate fitted or there was some sort of foreign body in the cylindre, we had to remove the cam carrier and head to go look, found a piece of carbon squased to the head, obviously when the idiots at the vehicle dismantlers had removed the injectors they had let some crud fall in, no way on this earth did I want to remove the head, purely due to the ball ache of trying to keep the follower fingers in place when fitting the cam carrier, it went on on the sixth attempt, tempers were high!!

New head gasket cam cover gasket and a set of head bolts ordered and head refitted, darn those fingers!!

We worked as clean as possible from the back of a trailer and driveway, not ideal.

Had to recut the injector seats, looks like the alloy in the heads could be better!!

Not an easy Job, My Nipper and Son in law did all the donkey work as I cannot, when all together and running, it still smelt like it was heavy breathing, turned out to be the injectors over fueling, remember when I said the newer engine possibly wasn't required? well it was the injectors with 164000 miles on them they were leaking like taps, anyhow relief of another wad of money and its running fine, improving daily as its clearing out the exhaust, the egr is blanked off, it runs like a decent diesel now, this weekend my Son replaced the complete A frame as the Ball joint was slopping around a lot!! we also installed another transfer box lever and cable, as the old one would not let 2 wheel drive be selected, changed all 3 seals in the rear axle, its going to be a Marmite Car but it will do for now, as you have said a well sorted one is good driving, when I get used to this ones tendency of dropping the rear end out on corners when wet.

Bit of an emotional journey for me as I have to rely on others to do the work, although a Marine Engineer for 35 years I was taken ill with auto immune system Hepatitis, basically my liver was being rejected by my immune system, 2014 I received a transplant, but my body had begun to shutdown, I have no strength, and no energy, but good people out there I keep going, yes ive had a few ups and downs major breakdown a few months ago which led me to buying a Jeep, hey ho I'm alive and can still annoy, what more do I want?? Certainly not sympathy, just people dont give up, if whatever your working on or doing gives you pain walk away take time then go back and tell it who's boss.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:47 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
Sounds like it's getting about time for you to enjoy it!

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:14 am 
LOST Newbie

Yes, its getting better, more I drive it the cleaner the exhaust is getting cleaned out, the more power it returns, no MPG figures that will come later, what I have noticed is mine has a lot less emission control items, basically I have the usual sensors, but only an EGR valve none of the extras you seem to have that goes with it, mines now blanked off illegal over here, but if you cannot see the plate no one will know its done, runs much better and cleaner, whoever thought of recirculating the exhaust is a prat, simular to humans running on their own gases, not something I would like to do !!!!! Comparing it to the Land Rovers I cannot see why there is so much bad press between them? hey ho