It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Front signal/flasher problem
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:42 am 
LOST Newbie

2004 liberty front blinkers, parking, hazard, and fog lights do not work. Rear lights (blink fast),and headlights work.
Would it be the multifunction switch considering the hazard flashers don't work as well (they work in the rear)?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Post subject: Re: Front signal/flasher problem
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:45 am 
LOST Newbie

Sorry forgot to add have checked fuses they look ok and bulbs do work.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:32 am 
LOST Member

When you say "bulbs do work" do you mean that you have taken them out and inspected them or have you moved them to a new position?

Either way there have been problems with the KJs in that the bulb holders sometimes have their contacts melt their way down into the plastic so that the bulb contacts can no longer reach them. If this is the case the bulb holders need to be replaced.

The front signal/flasher and rear signal/flasher (or Indicators as we call them over here) basically get the same power from the Hazard Switch...the Multifunction switch swinging over to left or right activates the Hazard Flasher so if the rear flashers work then the Multifunction Switch is OK as regards the turn signals as the rear of the Jeep works OK.

The ground points for the front lamps are different to the rear so you may be missing a ground up front.
The rear turn signals will flash faster if the front flashers are not working.

So I would initially say that the Multifunction Switch is not faulty

You can download the Jeep KJ Service Manuals here. The 2004 is not covered but the 2003 should be close enough but wire colors may be different. Section 8W has the Wiring Diagrams.
The index of Section 8W has a Component Location so you can look for Front Turn signals to be able to go to the relevant page. Likewise G111 appears to be the ground point for the front turn signals...the Component Locations will show you where G111 is located.

http://www.colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/KJ/

Where are you located?
Canadian models have Daylight Running lights so there are some changes in the Wiring Diagrams.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:34 am 
LOST Newbie

I have another 04 liberty I double check and test bulbs and sockets on. It doesn't have daytime running lights. The wiring diagrams are confusing but i think i understand enough to find the grounds. With the lights on i tested:
1.at the plug
2. from the plug to the frame
3. from the plug to the battery ground
None showed any voltage reading. I've tested all the fuses and they show 12v. I'll have more time tomorrow to dig into this. One thing I did notice is there was a lot of moisture inside the lenses, not sure if that would effect anything.

thanks for the help

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:06 am 
LOST Member

Fatboy wrote:
I have another 04 liberty I double check and test bulbs and sockets on. It doesn't have daytime running lights. The wiring diagrams are confusing but i think i understand enough to find the grounds. With the lights on i tested:
1.at the plug
2. from the plug to the frame
3. from the plug to the battery ground
None showed any voltage reading. I've tested all the fuses and they show 12v. I'll have more time tomorrow to dig into this. One thing I did notice is there was a lot of moisture inside the lenses, not sure if that would effect anything.

thanks for the help

Are you saying you have a second 04 KJ?
If so then swap over the Multifunction Switch...very easy to do and will eliminate one suspected item.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:26 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thank you for all the info. I started the morning by testing all the grounds that were diagramed in the service manual, they were all good. I Was preparing to trace the hot wires and to get at the wires coming out of the socket I took the front grill off. To my surprise and happiness there was a main connector to the left lamp that went to the right lamp as well that was unluged, because the person who had the Jeep before me broke the red plastic locking device and it came un hooked. Plugged it in and what looked like a dreaded Trace was fixed. Thank you so much for your help I did learn some things.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:37 pm 

Fatboy wrote:
Thank you for all the info. I started the morning by testing all the grounds that were diagramed in the service manual, they were all good. I Was preparing to trace the hot wires and to get at the wires coming out of the socket I took the front grill off. To my surprise and happiness there was a main connector to the left lamp that went to the right lamp as well that was unluged, because the person who had the Jeep before me broke the red plastic locking device and it came un hooked. Plugged it in and what looked like a dreaded Trace was fixed. Thank you so much for your help I did learn some things.

Glad you found your problem and it turned out to be something very simple. :BANANA:
:idea: Better tape or tie wrap that connector together so it cannot happen again. :wink:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:28 am 
LOST Newbie

Hazard flashers is the important in bad weather. It is keep as safety things.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:36 pm 
LOST Member

Hazard flashers only run about 8 minutes before they shut off to conserve battery power.

Crazy programming.