It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Is there a better place for us to move?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:53 pm 
LOST Member

This forum is pretty cool, I like the specific area and population for us liberty crd people, but the admins have abandoned us, and we are left drifting in the digital abyss which kinda sucks, and also we can’t post pics. So should we be migrating to another platform where we can better exist with pics? I like posting images direct, I don’t have an image hosting plan with any other image sites and I object to that practice anyway because it too easily separates the images from their related content year down the road. This info collection is too valuable to let rude and obnoxious companies like photofucket to ruin like they did to untold numbers of valuable threads across the entire world. Anyway just a thought.

2005 limited, tinted, OME lift, falken wildpeak 245/75-16, Suncoast, Transgo, Chevy fan+clutch, 195° Kap Stat Mod, Derale tranny cooler, Provent, Stage 2 tune, EGRdelete, Cat delete, Group65 batt, V6 airbox, tow brakes, switchblade key, DIY roof rack, DIY Front bumper,
Future; rear bumper, true tracs, tank fuel pump, webasto heater, 5sp manual

Post subject: Re: Is there a better place for us to move?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:16 pm 
LOST Addict

Can you suggest any sites or platforms to move to?
I’ve heard that there is a Facebook group but I’ve never bothered to look for it.

I use Imgur to host my pictures

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:24 pm 

Jett wrote:
This forum is pretty cool, I like the specific area and population for us liberty crd people, but the admins have abandoned us, and we are left drifting in the digital abyss which kinda sucks,

What specifically do you mean by this? It's a pretty broad statement, so am not totally sure what you're driving at.

Quote:
and also we can’t post pics.

Use https://imgur.com . They allow hotlinking photos they're storing without needing a paid account.

Quote:
So should we be migrating to another platform where we can better exist with pics? I like posting images direct, I don’t have an image hosting plan with any other image sites and I object to that practice anyway because it too easily separates the images from their related content year down the road.

Not speaking as an administrator, because I'm not one - but I am someone who has had to admin phpbb installations in the past.

Regardless of the forum software being used, image storage is a HUGE pain. It increases the amount of storage space needed by a very significant amount, adds to processing and network loads when serving the images, and ultimately requires purchasing either beefier server platforms or spending more on cloud-based hosting. There is no cheap-to-free solution for this when doing it in volume for hundreds of users.

Quote:
This info collection is too valuable to let rude and obnoxious companies like photofucket to ruin like they did to untold numbers of valuable threads across the entire world. Anyway just a thought.
[/quote]

I understand where you're coming from this, but that's the danger of any external hosting service (including imgur, which I fully admit to recommending). We can't control that.

JBA Lifted A-Arms
IRO WJ Short Rear UCA/WWDiesel mount
Skid Row Skidplates
HDS Model 001 Thermostat (190°F)
Suncoast TC
Full Weeks Kit
Bosch 5V glow plugs
Hayden 2986 fan clutch / GM 11-blade fan
Samco / Sasquatch Intake Hoses
Carter in-tank pump
Provent 200
V6 Airbox

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:22 pm 

PostImages is another one that works perfect and cost $0, https://postimages.org/
Been using it every since the PhotoBucket debacle.
I understand why the owners of the LOST web site does not want pictures saved and stored on their server space Server space cost money $$$, and nothing is free in this world.
LOST Jeeps is by far the best Jeep Liberty CRD site on the Web today; I am a registered member of several other sites, and they do not begin to compare in quantity or quality of information as compared to this site.
:2cents:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:24 pm 
LOST Member

I was under the impression that there were no mods here because they left and forgot to hand over the keys to anyone willing to do it so we were on autopilot. Maybe I’m confusing here with another forum.
I understand that image hosting cost money but I’m on a dozen or more Free forums and all allow images so I’m not sure what to say to that.

I’m not suggesting a move to Facebook! Those groups are impossible to have discussions on. The structure of the list is not conducive to discussion in my opinion. At least they allow photos, unlimited in fact, and I don’t pay for Facebook that’s for sure lol.

2005 limited, tinted, OME lift, falken wildpeak 245/75-16, Suncoast, Transgo, Chevy fan+clutch, 195° Kap Stat Mod, Derale tranny cooler, Provent, Stage 2 tune, EGRdelete, Cat delete, Group65 batt, V6 airbox, tow brakes, switchblade key, DIY roof rack, DIY Front bumper,

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:28 pm 
LOST Junkie

viewtopic.php?t=91512#pCleaning up the spam on the forum

Jett wrote:
This forum is pretty cool, I like the specific area and population for us liberty crd people, but the admins have abandoned us, and we are left drifting in the digital abyss which kinda sucks, and also we can’t post pics. So should we be migrating to another platform where we can better exist with pics? I like posting images direct, I don’t have an image hosting plan with any other image sites and I object to that practice anyway because it too easily separates the images from their related content year down the road. This info collection is too valuable to let rude and obnoxious companies like photofucket to ruin like they did to untold numbers of valuable threads across the entire world. Anyway just a thought.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Provent @ 43,000 km
SEGR in progress
SAMCO Sport hoses @ 48500 km
Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac LT225/75R16

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:32 am 
LOST Member

Ah okay good to know.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:07 pm 
LOST Member

How ironic that you moved my thread despite it being specifically about crd liberties. Whatever. So why is it that every other free forum somehow has the ability to allow photos?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:03 pm 
LOST Junkie

Jett wrote:
How ironic that you moved my thread despite it being specifically about crd liberties. Whatever. So why is it that every other free forum somehow has the ability to allow photos?

Any one would think you are a paying member!
If you are a wiz kid with I.T. & can organize for photos without it costing to do it, I am sure the site owner would like to hear from you.
There are other sites that bombard you with popup adds for things you dont want. We are lucky here.
I, like the majority of members are happy with this free site & hope it continues to run in its current format.
If you know of another site that suits your needs better & is as good & allows you to post photos easier, then best you spend your time on it.
Though I have never, you could post all these photos on this other site & then include a link on your posts.
Our latest moderators have done a great job. I have not seen any spam since they have been on the job & they dont get payed !

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:28 pm 

When you join a forum you initially agree to abide by its rules and limitations.
If you don't like those requirements, you are always more than free to leave.

As to pictures, you can post all the pictures you desire, you just have to use a photo sharing service.
There are quite a few FREE photo sharing services available online, simply pick one and use it.
It is very easy to paste an Img link in a LOST post once you load your photos to one of the hosting services.

But all the drama over posting pictures is really not necessary!
Better to let it rest. :wink:
Moderator,

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:38 pm 

Jett wrote:

I'll assume that your initial comment is directed at me, since I'm the one who moved the thread.

First, let me point something out that may not have been obvious: your thread was moved without any ill-feeling towards either you or the thread.

Secondly, while you may feel that the thread is specifically about CRD KJs, the reality is that it doesn't appear that way to an outside observer - in this case, me. What it mainly addresses are points regarding forum features and administration, which is why the post was moved since those topics cover every aspect of the site, not the portions relevant to one specific model.

Allow me to highlight the difference between CRD and non-CRD content in your initial post. Non-CRD content is in bold.

Jett wrote:

Finally, as regards the question of image hosting directly on the forum: this has been answered in this thread already. If you're willing to provide the financial and technical means necessary to accomplish that, great - you have valid reasons for wanting to see this happen, and I agree with them. What other forums may or may not offer in terms of features don't apply here, however. This isn't as simple as checking a configuration box and walking away; there are other very significant considerations that have to be taken into account before even thinking of doing that.

JBA Lifted A-Arms
Skid Row Skidplates
Suncoast TC
Full Weeks Kit
Bosch 5V glow plugs
Carter in-tank pump
Provent 200
V6 Airbox

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:43 am 
LOST Member

Lol gawd guess I struck a nerve. I’m happy that it’s being modded now, excuse me for not noticing that, I didn’t get the memo. but we were drifting and bombarded with robots not long ago. I offered to help eliminate that which is how I found out the situation then. So from MY outside observation it was a collection of good people needing a place to share info, and pictures, so I was just throwing it out there as an idea that we all move somewhere that was beneficial for all, that’s all. No offense taken and none meant honestly, just never had a problem with the ads on the many other sites I frequent. Little banner or something. Sort of like this very page has? I wonder where that $ goes hmm? Okay carry on.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:42 am 

Jett wrote:
Lol gawd guess I struck a nerve. I’m happy that it’s being modded now, excuse me for not noticing that, I didn’t get the memo. but we were drifting and bombarded with robots not long ago. I offered to help eliminate that which is how I found out the situation then. So from MY outside observation it was a collection of good people needing a place to share info, and pictures, so I was just throwing it out there as an idea that we all move somewhere that was beneficial for all, that’s all. No offense taken and none meant honestly, just never had a problem with the ads on the many other sites I frequent. Little banner or something. Sort of like this very page has? I wonder where that $ goes hmm? Okay carry on.

To reiterate:

WWDiesel wrote:
But all the drama over posting pictures is really not necessary!
Better to let it rest. :wink:

JBA Lifted A-Arms
Skid Row Skidplates
Suncoast TC
Full Weeks Kit
Bosch 5V glow plugs
Carter in-tank pump
Provent 200
V6 Airbox

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:31 am 
LOST Newbie

No-one can control of any kind of fun. So I can laugh and smile here :BANANA: