It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cleaning intake manifold during egr delete
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:49 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hello everyone, I'm new here and have a few questions about deleting my egr. My Jeep Liberty has been giving an egr insufficient flow code, so I decided to remove it. I've been reading some egr delete threads on here, and from what I've gathered, I plan to remove my egr completely, block the holes on the exhaust manifold, intake, remove the coolant lines and remove the flap from the FCV. I'm also planning on reflashing my ecu with one of the tunes available on your forums here. Today I took it apart, and as expected, it was a gooey mess. I'm wondering if I need to clean the intake manifold. It looks like a large job to remove, and I don't really want to unless I have to. I know when I did our VW Jetta tdi, I took off the manifold and lit it on fire (it works well, just blow compressed air and a propane torch into it for a while, and the let it burn all the carbon and oil out), however, the CRD does not look like it will be as easy. Do you guys have any suggestions? Also, is there anything else I should know about removing my egr, or fix while I've got it all ripped apart? Thanks.

Installing Suncoast TC and Transgo

Post subject: Re: Cleaning intake manifold during egr delete
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:46 am 
LOST Member

Over the next couple oil change just use the liqui Moly intake cleaner, spray it into the intake just before the throttle valve there’s a hose that you stick into the intake follow the directions online do this a couple oil changes in a row. This should take care of most of the build up. I run a German auto repair shop and we do this as part of the regular maintenance to prevent buildup once there’s buildup it’s hard to get rid of but with continued treatment it will eventually go away I recommend doing this at the oil change intervals because anything that gets knocked down into it can end up going in the oil also switch to a higher detergent motor oil like LM2332 part number from Napa

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 1:36 pm 

Just so there is no confusion, the Jeep CRD has no throttle valve.
Some members in the past have advised strongly against spraying any kind of intake cleaner into this engine. Seafoam, Mopar, and several others make spray intake cleaners.
In past discussions, thoughts were that once you remove or totally disable the EGR system, the oily mist and vapor coming from the CCV system will eventually clean out the gooey soot buildup in the intake manifold since you no longer have soot being dumped into the intake. This is provided you still have the CCV hose connected to the turbo intake boot like it came from the factory as it should be.

If you do a search on LOST, there are some threads with discussions on these subjects. :idea:
Short of pulling the intake/valve cover manifold and soaking/flushing it, there are very few other options. :(

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

Post subject: Cleaning intake manifold during egr delete
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:00 pm 
LOST Member

There is an electronic throttle valve on the engine but it is not used for throttle it is used for EGR purposes that being said on a professional level for many years we have had great success using chemicals to reduce the amount of carbon in the intake. But that’s just my two cents as someone who does this for a living

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:26 am 
LOST Newbie

Thank you for your replies!
I put it back together without cleaning the manifold as there is not much I can do without taking it off. Hopefully the vapors from the CCV system clean it out a bit. My MPPS cable just got in yesterday, and I went ahead and followed the directions on the DIY EGR delete forum, and Git it garage's video. My ECU is the 526, and I used greybeast's EGR/FCV delete tune. I'm still getting two EGR related codes. They are P1140 (Exhaust gas recirculation throttle control circuit open), and P0403 (Exhaust gas recirculation control circuit). Is there a way to stop these codes from coming up? My EGR is fully removed (so the wire isn't plugged into anything), and my FCV has the round flap removed and the wires aren't pugged in. I thought the tune was to prevent EGR related codes from being triggered, but I must be mistaken. What exactly does it do if it doesn't fully remove all EGR related functions and codes from the system? You've probably gotten this question a lot, sorry if I'm asking questions that you've already answered elsewhere. Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:41 pm 

CRD Deisel wrote:
Thank you for your replies!
I put it back together without cleaning the manifold as there is not much I can do without taking it off. Hopefully the vapors from the CCV system clean it out a bit. My MPPS cable just got in yesterday, and I went ahead and followed the directions on the DIY EGR delete forum, and Git it garage's video. My ECU is the 526, and I used greybeast's EGR/FCV delete tune. I'm still getting two EGR related codes. They are P1140 (Exhaust gas recirculation throttle control circuit open), and P0403 (Exhaust gas recirculation control circuit). Is there a way to stop these codes from coming up? My EGR is fully removed (so the wire isn't plugged into anything), and my FCV has the round flap removed and the wires aren't pugged in. I thought the tune was to prevent EGR related codes from being triggered, but I must be mistaken. What exactly does it do if it doesn't fully remove all EGR related functions and codes from the system? You've probably gotten this question a lot, sorry if I'm asking questions that you've already answered elsewhere. Thanks!

Contact Yeti (aka Marco Giacomelli) on this forum using the email button or
contact Yeti ChipTuning by Giacomelli Marco on FaceBook at: https://www.facebook.com/YetiChiptuning/

He can provide you with a custom tune that will address your unwanted DTC's after removing the EGR parts.

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 2:20 pm 
LOST Junkie

send me a message on messenger or via email ;-)

https://www.facebook.com/YetiChiptuning

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:47 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks! Will do.