It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Factory Cruise on '06 USA Liberty
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 8:39 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hi All..

There was a fantastic thread from a long time ago about adding factory cruise control on a CRD...

http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=98&t=37173

I have a 2006 Liberty 3.7L and I have done lots of upgrades to it and I was attempting to get Factory Cruise Control installed. I was able to find a steering wheel with Cruise buttons and I swapped it into my liberty (cruise harness went right into the clockspring).

In the thread above, there are two ways described to finish this process and program the ECM....

1) Take it to the dealer and ask them to reinitialize the Cruise system via Starscan.
2) Use the 'merlin' process with the ignition and button presses to 'turn on' cruise control.

The 'merlin' process was described as..

Quote:
Switch Ignition on, engine not running, depress the brake pedal
and hold, press and hold the CRUISE ON/OFF switch on the
steering wheel for greater than 10 seconds, release switch,
switch off ignition for 10 seconds.
You will see the cruise light come on as you are holding the switch.

I have tried this and I indeed DO get the CRUISE indicator to turn on as described above. But then after turning the ignition OFF and back ON and starting driving.. I *can* turn on the Cruise Control indicator by hitting the cruse ON/OFF button.... but it pretty much turns back off after about 1 second then will not turn on. It turns off so fast I can't even attempt to try hitting 'set'.

Additionally, during the process above, I also get the check engine light (yellow) flashing at a certain point which makes me think that the computer is trying to turn on CRUSE, but then is saying something is wrong.

After doing this process, I have read engine codes and Im not getting any specific codes either, so Im guessing this is not something it will report.

One thing that I am curious about is that from the original post, it sounded like the 'drive by wire' functionality on the Throttle body is already existing.. I would assume that means that there is a air intake servo to drive the throttle. On my 2006, Im really not seeing anything around the throttle body that looks like a servo, so maybe that is my problem... maybe CRD's have this, but the non-diesel versions do not?

Any thoughts? I can take pictures of my throttle body tomorrow but it is currently snowing. :-( Thank you!

Post subject: Re: Factory Cruise on '06 USA Liberty
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 1:19 am 
LOST Newbie

After doing some research, I most likely am missing the servo, linkage and vacuum line. I haven't popped the hood yet as it is still snowy and blizzardy out there, in two days it will be 60 again and I will go look.

It is strange from what I can tell that my '06 doesn't have this as it appears the vacuum was standard on Liberty's as far back as 2004 and there was just a short stint in 2004 where they were not installed by default. I did have a new engine put into this beast a few years ago and so Im wondering if they left it off being that I didn't originally have Cruise Controls on the steering wheel.

I found a good post for a Dodge showing where it is located and how it is wired in a Dakota... https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-dakota/436082-adding-cruise-control.html

As far as Jeep parts, I found the part numbers I need so I will go look on Ebay/Salvage next and report back. https://store.mopar.com/v-2006-jeep-liberty--sport--3-7l-v6-gas/fuel--speed-control

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2023 11:35 pm 
LOST Newbie

I was able to order a used servo, linkage and vacuum line... Mine was totally missing that, will have to hunt for the vacuum line connection, hopefully the length of it will help guide me to the right hose and ideally a connection there!

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 7:52 pm 
LOST Newbie

And.... worked like a charm once the speed control servo was installed... only took about 20 minutes. Computer found it and all works well.