It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: employee pricing
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 10:49 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hello to all, been off the board for a bit.
I have been looking to purchase a new 05 liberty for my spouse, since she loves the one we got last year so much.
Question, I have is pertaining to this rebate, and employee pricing.
I went to two dealerships, and they basically showed me a printout for the vehicle in question, which showed the e.p price on the vehicle. Both dealers said they could go no lower on the price, less two thousand dollars for the standard rebate. Now not being sure how good the price of the employee rebate reflects on the price, I priced out the 05 I purchased last year, with the pricing on the same exact featured vehicle with the e.p. priceing and the 2000 discount. Well low and behold, I picked up the vehicle for more then a thousand dollars less. This is for an 05 liberty limited 4x4 with the 28 g package, anti lock brakes, and heated front seats.
So, what I am asking, is that it probably looks like I am better off waiting till, after labor day, and go for the year end clearances instaead of this fake e.p discount.
Any imput would be appreciated. I would rather buy now, but I can wait two months, if it will save me a thousand dollars plus tax.

Much regards Flatfoot

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 11:37 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Wow. That boggles the mind, doesn't it?

My brother just bought a Rubicon Unlimited with the Emplyee pricing and rebates and got a killer of a deal. I guess it is different for every auto.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 11:40 pm 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

try talking them down to below msrp, anything near invoice. you should be able to find the invoice for everything you want on that jeep at www.edmunds.com

It's a great car buying website. I didn't listen to my own advice and only got them to msrp plus the 2k incentive. it's nothing more than an incentive really. if they give you any "we won't make money" bs don't listen to it. they will make money even if they sell at invoice.

Good luck!!!!

Justin

msrp was $26,660 for mine, (on the sticker it said 26,160) so they gave me a $500 discount, plus the $2000 off, making it $24,160. then $4000 for my focus, but I owed like $3100 on it lol. so all in the end my liberty cost $23,260 or so. taxes brought it up again though, hate that crap. in hawaii they try to tell customers that it costs more to bring a car here, just more bs

Post subject: price paid
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 12:23 am 
LOST Newbie

Well here goes. On the 05 that I purchased last year as described in my post, the total sticker price with options and destination was 28,140. I purchased the car, with four miles on it for 21, 919. This was in 12/04
I did this though the edmunds site, and asked for price quotes. I received several right around this price. I was only asking for the 28g and the anti lock brakes, but the best deal quoted, the vehicle also had the heated fron seats, which I dont use, but it was otherwise exactly what I wanted.
Try pricing out this same vehicle, with the ep pricing and the 2000 rebate, and the numbers dont touch this.
So I think, that anyone, who knows how to bargain, and to test the dealers pricing, can get a better buy, on their own then the ep pricing.
But I think they are moving some more vehicles then normal, and not willing at this point to play the game. Wait till October, when they are trying to get rid of 05 stock and hopefully there will be a selection left.
In certain way, I think the dealer likes the ep, saying he cant bargain any cheaper then that, to insure a certain profit margain.
I left my phone number with the dealers, and I will see if they are going to call me back, with further offers.

Much regards flatfoot

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 7:58 am 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Is the one that you currently have a limited? Base msrp for an '05 Limited is is $25,325 with an invoice of $23,646. I doubt anyone could really get much below invoice on that.

Also I want to clarify something on my last post, the MSRP for my liberty on the sticker was $26,160 the "Dealer Sticker Price" was $31,000 or so. They try to add all kinds of useless crap, although the one thing on the dealer's options that I got for free are the vin etched windows :wink:.

According to edmunds the MSRP for the '05 limited you want is $28,405, invoice is $26,484 and most people are paying around $26,700. Note all this is without the incentives, with the $2000 incentive you should be able to pick one up for about $24,000. The "employee discount" is just a fancy way of lableing their incentive and giving the dealership amunition to try to convince people that they can't sell it for cheaper. You should have no problem ignoring that unless they don't want to do business. Try to find a salesman that wants to sell the jeep more than you want to buy it :wink:

And if your current libby is a limited then you got one sweet deal for it. Doubt the dealer even made money on it lol. I imagine if you asked other limited libby owners what they paid, it's probably much more than that.

Just my two cents.

Good luck!

Justin

Of course looking at all this now I probably could've gotten my libby for around $22,000. Oh well hindsight is 20/20. All my renny has on it is the offroad package, 6disc cd changer and auto tranny.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 9:47 am 
LOST Newbie

what burns me about dealers is they make money either way. They just make SO much more moeny from the people who don't/aren't willing/don't care to do the homework. They make money even if they sell the vehicle at "invoice" plus whatever commission type deal is there too. I went pricing a new KJ (wound up with a killer used one) and I did some homework. The dealer kept hiding certain stickers from the windshield. He didn't know what I do for a living so I already saw what he wanted me to see. He was giving this line that his dealership had to charge almost $800 more so they could "keep in line with Philadelphia pricing". I was like we live 45 minutes from Philly I doubt dealers are chargint hat much more. I may be young but I did some homework and he didn't like that.

Sorry to rant but sometimes car salespeople just fit the sterotype. :twisted:

Post subject: EP
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 10:20 am 
Banned For Abuse on LostJeeps.com

I live in a big GM manufacturing town with Ford & Chrysler plants as well. The employees have moaned for years that you could haggle a better price than their discount.

My '05 Sport listed for $23,210. I got a $2,000 rebate + a $500 bonus from jeep. That puts me at $20,710. I got them down another $2000 and ended up paying $18,710. It took a week of haggling and playing 3 dealers against each other, but it worked. As near as I can tell, I saved right at $1000 over the "employee price." It also helped that I got a 6spd, that is apparently considered "undesirable." I did a lot of internet pricing research and I contacted each dealer by email first. Many dealers now have internet departments that haggle online to attract a wider customer base. Some people will travel a few hundred miles to save a few hundred bucks.

Oh, yeah, and I got 0.0%....

A dirty Jeep is a happy Jeep

Last edited by InCommando on Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: EP
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 3:34 pm 
LOST Newbie

[quote="InCommando"]I live in a big GM manufacturing town with Ford & Chrysler plants as well. The employees have moaned for years that you could haggle a better price than their discount.

Seems to be true. I got two calls today from Jeep dealers that I had visited, asking the eternal question"what can I do to put you into a jeep".
I told them, to match my price from the vehicle I purchased last year. They are staying to the company line, that they cannot go below e.p.
I told them, You are full of spit. You are having a good sales period now , because of this promotion, and just trying to turn a higher profit. Wait till september when you sales go flat, and then you will be willing to bargain with me and then I will realy squeeze you in price. So do you want to do business or not. How can you sell me a vehicle nine months ago, and then not be able to sell me the same vehicle for anywhere near the same price now.
That is one thing I hate about my local chrysler dealers. When they had cars and trucks that were dogs, they would come to your home, and mow your lawn for you, to sell a car, but ever since they got that 300c, they think they are selling gold.
So I will wait, and then do business with them after this artificial program ends. And I will remember.
Just for comparison, My wife, last year purchased an acura. Even though the particular vehicle we were looking for was selling like hot cakes(the tl), they were professional, treated us like respect, and were willing to bargain in a gentlemanly manner. The four dealers we visited were happy to access any request we made. One of the dealers, we recognized as being a crook(so whats new), but even with a vehicle that was selling briskly, we ordered exactly what we wanted, at a very fair price, and was one of the best auto buying experiances we ever had. However my wife doesnt like the vehicle, and we are in the process of selling it.

Much regards Flatfoot

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 5:37 pm 
LOST Member

just a thought--they say because of all the e.p. 'deals' going on right now, there is starting to be a glut of used cars. maybe you could pick up another '05 at a great deal instead of getting brand spanking new...

99 Wrangler Sport, Amethyst *~* 9500 lb Mile Marker Winch *~* Bestop Mesh Windows *~* Michelin LTX M/S *~* Custom Rock Shift Knob *~* Cobra 75 WX ST *~* 3" Boulder Bars *~* Full Husky Liners *~* Aiwa Deck *~* JKS Disco's *~* Garmin 60 CS *~* Kilby Gas tank skid *~* Poison Spyder Diff Ring

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 7:29 pm 
I live here
I live here

Wait another month before you buy an `05. The dealers will be willing to deal with you more because they want to clear out space for the `06's.

Good god, I can't believe I've had my Reny almost a year now (Sept 20).

I bought my `04 Reny at 0.0% Financing AND got all rebates ($4500) with a $2,000 trade-in on my `95 Camry (No down payment either). I was not supposed to be eligible for 0.0% financing due to my credit history (thier best offer was 3.9%), but I got it and the max rebates.

I went in and told them firmly, "I want $400/month for 60 months and I don't have to buy anything because my Camry is in great shape and because the `05's will have the new look." Their first return qoute was $524/month at 3.9%. I repeated my saying and I had to repeat it two more times until I got what I wanted.

You must play hardball with them and always be willing to walk out. Do not let them get a hold of your drivers license. Always take in a copy of it and demand it back immediately upon the desire to leave. If they won't deal with you without physically having your driver's license, WALK OUT and go to another dealer.

2004 Renegade Light Khaki - 4" JBA Lift - Rock Lizard Products: Komodo Dragon Rear Bumper, Prototype Winch-mount Front Bumper, Super Skink Sliders - All J's Super Tranny Skid II - 31" Firestone Destination AT's on Moab wheels - Cobra 75W CB w/ stock Antenna mod

[b]Retired, US Military

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 7:33 pm 

There is a very scientific way to make a good and fair offer (and avoid all the haggling). Your ultimate goal in buying a new car is to get the dealer down to about a true 3% profit. If you make an educated offer with a fair profit built in the dealer will accept. The spreadsheet here can REALLY help out...

http://www.carbuyingtips.com/offer.xls

Just go to Yahoo Autos to get the invoice numbers and fill it in. You'd be surprised what a dealer's real cost is for these vehicles. Also, do your homework on "factory holdback" and you'll see why dealers still make money even selling at or close to "invoice". For domestic cars it is close to 3% and foreign cars 2%.

I used the above spreadsheet on our last two vehicles and got some sweet deals. I knew what I wanted and what a fair offer was. Just email it to several dealers, wait for a bite, and go pick up your new car. When they see that you know what you're doing they won't even bother trying to screw you over. The only thing you'll have to watch are the fees and financing when you get to the dealership.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 10:09 pm 
LOST Newbie

[quote="Skyjump136"]There is a very scientific way to make a good and fair offer (and avoid all the haggling). Your ultimate goal in buying a new car is to get the dealer down to about a true 3% profit. If you make an educated offer with a fair profit built in the dealer will accept. The spreadsheet here can REALLY help out...

[ That is the way I always buy a car. You find out the holdback, and deal from there. Whats even better, if you buy a car, that the dealer has ordered in general for his stock, and you buy one of those, the dealer has a presale, with the holdback profit, which wont cost him a thing, because it wont sit on his lot, thus you bargain from the holdback price, up to the invoice. Its amazing the deals you can get.
When I got my wifes tl, we found out the holdback, and while everyone on the acura lines, were happy to get a thousand or two, below msrp, I got mine, for less then invoice, which was far, far, below msrp.
What you usually have to do also, is buy the car at model change time, or towards the end of the month, or quarter, when there is pressure on sales managers to move vehicles, even at reduced profit.
Thats why this chrysler e.p. pricing is a sham in my opinion

Much regards flatfoot

Post subject: Actual Employee Discount
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 10:26 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I got my 2004 Renegade with an actual Employee Discount. I have a friend that works for Chrysler. Off the website mine priced out to 28,700. Not going to go into all the features but needless to say I drove it off the lot for $23,036. This was after a 2000 down payment and tax title and license added back.
My friend advised me at the time that Employee Discount got you 4% below invoice. The friends and family program that my friend was going to get me was 2% above invoice. In September of 2004 they decided to let every employee transfer their discount to one person. So I was in the right place at the right time and I probably wouldn't have gotten the Liberty if it wasn't for that. For some of you newer folks. I lurked on this board for six months before I signed up in Aug of 2004 and got lucky to get my Liberty by Nov of 2004.

--BlackOps

245/75 Cooper Discoverer STT's
Flowmaster Series 40
Warn Shackle, Mounted Mag light, Drop-In K&N
Corbra Handheld CB w/ 4 foot Firestick
Lifetime # MJ051776

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 11:30 pm 
LOST Member

Same here... My 04 Renegades Msrp with all the options was 31,225. As per the window sticker. I wanted everything you could get. Since it's the first new car I've ever bought. We closed the deal at 25,500 for it. I also chose to buy while they were bringing the 05's in the front door. Which I'm sure helped me a lot since the dealer did'nt want it laying around. Also ironic is the fact I bought it in Liberty, NY....

245/75-16 Revos
Full Armor
Powertrax NoSlip
Magnaflow Exhaust
Way more on the Horizon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:23 am 
LOST Member

carroll952 wrote:
try talking them down to below msrp, anything near invoice. you should be able to find the invoice for everything you want on that jeep at www.edmunds.com

It's a great car buying website. I didn't listen to my own advice and only got them to msrp plus the 2k incentive. it's nothing more than an incentive really. if they give you any "we won't make money" bs don't listen to it. they will make money even if they sell at invoice.

Good luck!!!!

Justin

msrp was $26,660 for mine, (on the sticker it said 26,160) so they gave me a $500 discount, plus the $2000 off, making it $24,160. then $4000 for my focus, but I owed like $3100 on it lol. so all in the end my liberty cost $23,260 or so. taxes brought it up again though, hate that crap. in hawaii they try to tell customers that it costs more to bring a car here, just more bs

Back in 86, cost the Govt about 500.00 to ship a car on a Matson boat departing LA/LB. Funny thing, cost the same 3 years later when I left. Since manufactures charge the same "destination" charge in the lower 48, rather you pick up your liberty in Toledo or Portland OR, one would thing it's the same to Hono, PR or even Guam. Just wondering.. How much are they "tacking on" for the trip from the west coast to Hono?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 4:19 am 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

On some of the stickers they say something about a hawaii regional cost fee or some bs like that. But that's only on the dealer sticker where they jack up the price with their dealer options. On the real sticker, the destination charge is $660. For the hawaii regional cost fee or whatever it's called they could easily add another $1000 or more. Basically just a gimmick for people to think that since everything else is more expensive, cars are too. Shipping price is the same for all 50 states, not sure about guam and puerto rico. Probably the same too. Actually the navy gives a class called "million dollar sailor" that has good car buying tips. That's one of the things they say to watch for.

Honestly I didn't look too much at the other paper with the "dealer" prices on it. I memorized the msrp before I started wheeling and dealing. I'm sure I could've bought it cheaper, and in hind sight I should've taken a break to get my head straight. But I bought it for msrp and then had the $2000 off plus about $900 for my trade-in so I shouldn't be upside down in it.

Originally I tried to buy a Nissan Xterra and the dealer tried adding about $1000 to the msrp for the "extra cost". Didn't like the way the xterra drove and certainly didn't like the dealer so I walked. Also they wanted to give me $1000 less than I owed on my focus, the jeep dealer gave me about $1000 more (exactly what kbb said for trade in value) for the focus. Gas prices are bad enough out here without some dealer trying to rip me off.

Justin

BTW Jeeplikens, what branch were you?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:04 am 
LOST Member

The EP came out 2 weeks after we got our '05 Rene - man was I pissed! So I went to the Jeep website and cinfigured my exact rig - and there wasn't much of a deal - especially considering I got 0% financing for 60 months! I think that was the best deal of the year!!

Sticker was $26,590
Minus $1,000 off the top from the dealer
Minus $1,500 Cash back
Paid $24,090

JEEP EP: $23,230

L.O.S.T. NE #022332
2005 KJ Rennie, Black, Stock for now :)
1995 YJ, Black, Plow Rig, Fun to drive!
My CarDomain Site (under construction)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:38 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I got my '05 Rennie (loaded) a few weeks ago, with the MSRP being over $28k, and with the 2k incentive, and employee discount, i got it for $23k after tax, title and license, without any trade-ins or money down. I feel i got a good deal.

LOST#NL068123 - 2005 Renegade 3.7L 4x4, Off-Road Package, Rock Rails, Skids, Command-Trac, Trac-Loc LSD, Light Bar, K&N Drop in Filter, AMSOIL LUBES, RRO's Diff Guard for 8.25", Frankenlift, & Goodyear MT/R's
Cardomain

Post subject: delivery
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 3:44 pm 
Banned For Abuse on LostJeeps.com

Although I am not positive abot alaska and Hawaii, I know for a fact that the delivery charge for the lower 48 is the same no matter where it is delivered

A dirty Jeep is a happy Jeep

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:26 am 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Yeah it's the same for all 50.

Justin