It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Liberty Steering Rack
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:19 am 
LOST Newbie

Hi. I have a 2003 Liberty Renegade that I bought new. It has 60,000, mostly highway, miles. It has never seen any hard off roading. Recently my steering began to feel rubbery and would not return to center upon exiting a turn. It turns out that the steering rack was shot. I am currently pursuing this with Chrysler to get them to pay for this $1,200 repair (which included tire rotation and alignment). No one I talked with has ever had a steering rack fail, and the dealer stated that they have never had to replace a steering rack on a Liberty before. Has anyone had a similar problem with steering rack failure?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:06 pm 
LOST Newbie

Just replaced 59,600 miles - had been feeling a bit dull on right side (like right tire not going left when turning left). :(

Formerly know as kjcgk 7/2002, Lost #50055

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:04 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Had rack/pinion replaced with the upper ball joints/control arms under warrenty ( 100 dollar deductable on the extended warrenty). at 38K miles

Im lifted w/ MTR's,gouged wheels and full skids w/ lots of scrapes on them and the front / rear bumper ( it's obvious that my KJ has been wheeled in rocks). They gave me no hassle at all with the warrenty. 1st dealer I took it to said .."no problem found"...so I went to another and they fixed everything w/out me even asking.

I went in with the complaint of " theres some kind of noise in the front end....I'm not sure but maybe it's the upper ball joints ?"

Good luck. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:59 am 
LOST Newbie

Had my rack & pinion replaced while under warranty for free w/no hassle about the lift (So. Cal dealers seem to be extremely lift-friendly!). I doubt you'll get them to pay for the repair unless you've got an extended warranty. If you do have to pay for it, get the allignment and roatation done at another shop to save some money.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:00 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I had my rack replaced at 60,000 kms and my power steering pump replaced at 85,000 kms both under warranty. Same dull feeling on the right side. My seals failed and all of the fluid went into the boots.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:52 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I also have a 2003 Liberty Renegade that I bought new. At about 10K dlr replaced rack due to noise in the front end which turned out to be LBJs which were also replaced. Whether it actually needed the rack I can't tell you. Just over 54K now & it's in for LBJs again.

Mopar Tubular Brush Guard
Garmin GPS V & Laptop w/Nav software
RAM products laptop mount
Maglite w/mount
Rear cargo bay tool cabinet
AllJs Rear Shelf
Rear receiver
250k miles!
LOST #CR051230

Post subject: Steering Rack
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:35 am 
LOST Newbie

Hi. I am the person who started this thread. Chrysler did agree to pay for the installation of a new rack (although they haven't paid yet) despite my vehicle being out of warranty. I am responsible for paying for the alignment. They stated that because I am a loyal customer, based on having bought and/or leased six Chrysler vehicles in the past seventeen years, they were inclined to help me with this repair.

In talking to them, I remained calm and stuck to the facts; however I did stress the fact that the dealer's service manager stated to me that he felt that it was unsafe to drive the vehicle with the steering rack with premature failure.

I was happy with the outcome, particularly because I didn't need to start writing letters and it was not confrontational. I suspect that Chrysler knows that there are at least some steering racks on Liberties that are failing prematurely. My only concern now is that this new steering rack will fail in approximately 60,000 miles; or when the vehicle has 120,000 miles, which is only three to four years away. I doubt Chrysler will be willing to pay for the replacement at 120,000 miles.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:16 pm 
LOST Newbie

Now I'm worried. Drove our Libby for the first time in a while last night and noticed that it's not returning to center all the time, particularly when turning right. I asked the wife, who drives it everyday, and she "hadn't noticed anything"?!? I can only guess how long it's been going bad. It's an '02 with 54K that I bought new. Somehow I doubt I'll get mine fixed for free.

On top of that, the 1st and 2nd speed for the blower quit(she "thought" something was wrong?!?). Does anyone know how to fix this on the cheap?

As much as I like the Libby for what it can do, the quality is definitely not what I think my $23K should have bought. In the first 2 years of ownership I referred several people to look at the Libby (one friend actually bought one), as the miles tick by, I am less likely to continue to. Just from being a member on this site I can list several known, serious or obvious defects and expected failures, and mine has had most of them.

Matt

L.O.S.T. #050943
2002 Liberty Sport 4x4, Black
K&N FIPK, Drain pipe ram air
235/70-16 A/T Revo
Optima red top
Rancho RS5000, no lift
Hidden Hitch w/Yakima Bighorn 4 bike rack
Vent shades and deflector.

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act" - George Orwell

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:41 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

When my rack went my steering wheel had lots of play and felt soft when I turned the wheel to the right but felt normal when turning the wheel to the left.

As far as the #1 and #2 A/C blower fan speeds not working, the exact same thing happed to mine last week, I am picking up the fan speed relay tomorrow, not sure on the cost yet, but it is an easy fix from everything I have read.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:34 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Wahoo, it's your blower relay resistor is blown. I'm not sure how much they cost, but you can access the part behind the passenger side dash. 5 minute job.

LOST#NL068123 - 2005 Renegade 3.7L 4x4, Off-Road Package, Rock Rails, Skids, Command-Trac, Trac-Loc LSD, Light Bar, K&N Drop in Filter, AMSOIL LUBES, RRO's Diff Guard for 8.25", Frankenlift, & Goodyear MT/R's
Cardomain

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 5:40 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Had the rack replaced on my 2002 after about 45000 miles...it is a recurring problem.

It is probably why the early year models always pulled... :wink:

Mods: GDE Hot Tune w/ 364#@2000rpm/Air Box /3" Str8 Exhaust/ASFIR Alum Skids/245-75R-16 Cooper STT PRO/OME LIFT w/Clevis & 4 Spring Isos/AirTabs/Rigid 10" S2 LED/4xGuard Ctr Matrix Bumper
Drag Strip:Reac=.1078_60ft=2.224_1/8=10.39@64.8mph_1/4+16.46@80.8mph

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 7:27 pm 
LOST Newbie

I noticed a small oil leak at the right front a few months ago to which my service rep told me it was probably a blown shock. After returning for them to check the alignment due to excessive tire wear on the right front, he said it was the steering rack and a new one would cost $900.00. With 70,000 plus miles of course its out of warranty. The alignment was supposedly factory specs, but my Firestone dealer aligned it and it made a big difference. It actually wants to turn. Dealer said bad rack was cause of excessive tire wear, to which I replied that it must have been bad from day one since it has eaten 3 tires at RF in its lifetime. No warranty coverage. Nevermind Ive bought numerous DCX vehicles over the years from these people. They even had gotten Chrysler to cover a brake problem that arose on a Chrysler I had just out of warranty. I just don't think they can keep the good people like they used to. Anyway... haven't noticed any steering problems... yet. Other than some of these front end problems (ball joints replaced twice) and low temp squawking from the front end over bumps, the Lib has been a great vehicle. Can't wait for the next gen.

Last edited by TerreKJ on Thu Jun 22, 2006 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 7:48 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Knock on wood,my rack&pinion hasn't went bad in my '02 yet and I used to drive it like it was a 911 turbo before the lift(stock these things can corner,at least mine did),but then again I only hit 40,000 miles today.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:31 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

TJKJ, you are so right about these KJs being able to corner, when I had my 2005 RME I worked a Porsche event at the local Motorsports Autocross course, during a lunch break I was able to take the Jeep out for a spin...man did it handle well for being as tall as it is...was doing 90 down the straight and then cornering a carousel turn at about 60 then through some esses at about 38-45 mph...very well handling Jeep stock out of the box....

AEV 3.5" RS Lift; Schrockworks FR bumper and Warn 9.5ti winch; Cobra 75 CB; Rigid 50" LED light bar; Adventure Trailers (AT Overland) JK Kitchen setup in the cargo area.
Southern L.O.S.T. # 236487

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:45 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

My rack was replaced at about 60,000. Still doesn't feel right after new tires and alignment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 7:35 pm 
LOST Newbie

Well...

I've gone from worried to completely P***ed off! I spent several hours last night with a flat bed tow driver and my Libby. Yep - LBJ failure! Luckily no one was hurt, like DCX cares. No real body damage, but it definitely destroyedthe wheel and looks to have done some damage to the half shaft as well. Had it towed to the dealership and am now putting my case togetehr as to why I shouldn't be out of pocket for this. It has 54K on it, all service doen at the dealer, including complete alignmentback in October when Iput the Revo's on. They did the recall replacement on this already, so these LBJs are already the second set! I sure am glad they made changes. Any pointers any of you have for helping my cause on making Chrysler pay for their piss poor engineering would be greatly appreciated.

L.O.S.T. #050943
235/70-16 A/T Revo
Optima red top
Rancho RS5000, no lift

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act" - George Orwell

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:11 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

The 1st thing I would do is take a copy of the NHTSA complaint with you which shows that there is a known problem. If that doesn't work with the dlr and/or DC your only recourse may be a lawsuit. A small claims lawsuit costs you next to nothing to file and I'd name both the dlrship and DC. They may just decide to settle instead of having to send a rep to court for what for them would be a low dollar amt. If u know any lawyers a letter from them may help. Last resort would I guess be a class action suit.

Mopar Tubular Brush Guard
Garmin GPS V & Laptop w/Nav software
RAM products laptop mount
Maglite w/mount
Rear cargo bay tool cabinet
AllJs Rear Shelf
Rear receiver
250k miles!
LOST #CR051230

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:18 am 
LOST Newbie

My dealer came through! Had it in and out in one day, all covered. Still have a new wheel on order and the inner fender liner as well. They were very helpful and confirmed that my LBJs are covered for lifetime since they were under a recall. In an odd way that's kind of an incentive to keep her :(

L.O.S.T. #050943
235/70-16 A/T Revo
Optima red top
Rancho RS5000, no lift