It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Willys
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:15 pm 
LOST Junkie

Saw this last week while I was on vacation.

L.O.S.T. #000202
2021 Compass

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 4:14 pm 
LOST Member

SAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET

2004 Renny 4X4-Lifted on 32's!! IS NOW RETIRED
2.5" RRO OTT Lift & 32" BFG LT's
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2205322

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 4:44 pm 
LOST Addict

One day I will have an old willy's, preferably a CJ2. I think thats a CJ3 you see there. Anyone know for sure. I think the 3's had the raised hood to fit that hurricane 6 in there.

06 CRD Sport
Built 5/11/06
Jeep Green
Rocklizard diff cover
V6 Airbox

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:05 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Thats a good looking Jeep. They have one of those at the Jeep dealer in the North Aurora auto mall.

1979 CJ5

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:39 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Jeger wrote:
One day I will have an old willy's, preferably a CJ2. I think thats a CJ3 you see there. Anyone know for sure. I think the 3's had the raised hood to fit that hurricane 6 in there.

It's a CJ3B (high hood for the F-134a engine). The CJ3A had the low hood for the flat head engine (like the CJ2A).

Daystar 2.0" Lift, P255/70R16 Revos, Boulder Bars, Reese Front Hitch w/9k Hooks, Poison Spyder Rock Ring, MOPAR Skids/Bug Shield/Roof Rails/Mats, WARN Hitch Shackle(Rear), 10k Hitch Hook(Front), Custom Tilt/Slope Meter, Ammo Box Mod, Rotella T 5W-40.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:46 pm 
LOST Member

If you look on Ebay under military vehicles you can find a bunch of restored and project military jeeps. Found one for 3000 bucks but its in Iowa and I'm not willing to drive THAT far...it was nice though:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=140019289573&ih=004&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:30 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Here is my fathers 46 cj2a. I am currently building a 48. It will be awhile before its done, but its gonna be sweet! I'm not going to drop a V6 or V8 in it like everybody else, but I do think it will need more power. So, I've decided to turbocharge the old flathead. Looks like it might be a first.

This is my 48 before I took it apart

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:50 am 
LOST Addict

Awesome! I know this is what created the jeep legend, but how do they do offroading in stock form? A turbo flathead would be cool, im sure you could get one at a junkyard to play around with. I would spring for an intercooler too though.
Who knows what might blow apart with too much boost though :? If I ever build one I would love to put a diesel in it. VW...or maybe I could find a wrecked CRD to cannibalize :twisted: Of course the EGR would have to go. Post some more pics up if you've got em.

06 CRD Sport
Built 5/11/06
Jeep Green
Rocklizard diff cover
V6 Airbox

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:17 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

We've had the little Willys for seven years now and I knew it was legendary. But, this was the first time we had it on the trail (a real trail). With 29" tires, zero lift and open diffs the Willys out performed everthing else. Its size was the advantage, with 29's it still has awesome ground clearance because it all tire. I was truly amazed.

On mine I'm not going to have an intercooler. Only going to run 6psi. I'll beef up the engines cooling system with an aluminum radiator to help keep the entire engine cool. The average speed on the trail is about 2 mph so theres definitely no air blowing through an air/air type intercooler. Could put a fan on it, but then we would have alot of plumbing which will lead to turbo lag. I want that turbo to spool up as soon as I touch the throttle. I have chosen an IHI RHB5 model VI55. This came on small Isuzu engines (1.5L-2.0L). The old flathead doesnt flow as much air as a modern OHC engine and doesnt have the rpm range. So the turbo is undersized by engine size but should be right for actual engine air flow.

I have most of my parts already. Turbo is brand new ($158 on ebay :D thats a steal), almost new weber 2 bbl. carburetor with small manifold from a turbo beetle, still need to fabricate the exhauast manifold. I'm using the stock axles with a lock-right in the front. 16" American Racing Mojave Teflon wheels w/ 32" MTRs. Suspension is Black Diamond 3" lift.

Anyway I'll post more pics tonight when I get home.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:30 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

as promised...

If you want more cj
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/vie ... highlight=

And here are some pics of my project

carrier and Lock-Right assembly

disc brake conversion for the front with Warn hubs

32" MTRs and 16" mojave teflon coated

Dirty old engine

Turbo. Exhaust housing needs to be clocked to match up with the custom manifold that doesnt exist yet.

Turbo and carburetor. No intercooler cause only short periods of boost and short spool-up time.

And my winch. The whole story --->http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=5544&highlight=