It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 1966 Jeep Military Vehicle M1-51
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:41 pm 
LOST Member

I do contract transporting on the side, and was fortunate enough to transport this beautifully restored 1966 M1-51 from Lexington, KY to Auburn, AL for a customer this past Saturday afternoon......lots of "thumbs-up" on the interstates from young kids and older people...possibly some that actually used one of these neat little vehicles at one time. It was also a great conversation piece wherever I re-fueled and ate.

I'd love to have one for parades and car shows.

Apparently they're quite rare as I'm told that Uncle Sam didn't want'em on the roads and ordered the Army to remove the engines and transmissions, then either cut'em in two OR simply run them over with a tank. Not sure on the actual number of survivors.

Anyone with additional info please post away !

Greg

Here's Randall with one last shot of his pride and joy as it's prepared for the trip to AL.

My tow rig is a 2007.5 Dodge RAM 3500 Laramie MegaCab 4x4 CTD.

*SOLD*2005 Jeep Liberty Limited 4x4 CRD, Bright Silver Metallic, Dk/Lt Slate Gray Leather w/bun warmers, 5 spd auto, 22G pkg, Trailer Tow, 3.73 Rear Axle w/Trac-Lok Differential, P235/70R16 Firestone Destination LE's, Power Sunroof, Selec-Trac 4WD, Infinity 6-Disc In-Dash, Magnaflow #15870 System.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:22 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

There is a bunch of survivors,the Marine Corps still uses M151's.In '99 my team(in Camp Pen,Cali) was tasked to retro fit all the M151's on Camp Pendleton with new suspensions to help with the little roll happy Jeeps(about 1000 of them).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:30 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Cool. An ex-relative of mine (ex-wife's uncle) was a military vehicle buff and collector. As I traveled the backroads of the Inland NW he had me looking for old WWII and Korea Jeeps for him. If I recall his story right, about the time these should have being surplused the US Postal Service had surplused a bunch of their old left hand drive, two wheel drive mail delivery Jeeps and people were rolling them over and getting hurt or killed. The government decided that the M151 would be even a greater hazard so they stripped them then chopped the tubs in half for scrap. Back in the early 70's I understand there were a few enterprizing types that got their hands on tub halves and had small businesses going to weld them back together so people could rebuild the real thing.

Here is a little history: http://www.geocities.com/fordm151/

'06 CRD Limited, Lt. Khaki, MOPAR Slush Mats/Skids, DrawTite Front Hitch, Mag Lite, Yakima Bars, Thule Bike Rack, Fumoto, ORM, 245/70 Revo 2

Wish list: Lift, Boulder Bars, Something Bigger in the Front and Back, More Lights

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:51 pm 
LOST Member

Those things are pretty cool. Thanks for sharing the pic.

1997 XJ Sport - my daily driver
1995 YJ - the trail rig
1979 CJ5 - dad's toy
1966 M416 - the jeep trailer
1948 CJ2A Willys - my new project

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:46 pm 
Lifetime Member! LIBERTY OR DEATH
Lifetime Member!  LIBERTY OR DEATH

That is one beautiful M1-51! I almost cry when I watch surplus items such as this either stripped and chopped down, or pushed over the side of transport ships into the depths of the ocean. What a horrible fate for such incredible vehicles (and airplanes.

I love your new tow rig!! Very slick!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:15 pm 
LOST Member

dog_party wrote:
I love your new tow rig!! Very slick!

Thanks Brady.....I kinda miss the ol' '03 Dodge RAM 2500 (Casper) but the new MegaCab and 68RFE automatic are sweet !

Greg

*SOLD*2005 Jeep Liberty Limited 4x4 CRD, Bright Silver Metallic, Dk/Lt Slate Gray Leather w/bun warmers, 5 spd auto, 22G pkg, Trailer Tow, 3.73 Rear Axle w/Trac-Lok Differential, P235/70R16 Firestone Destination LE's, Power Sunroof, Selec-Trac 4WD, Infinity 6-Disc In-Dash, Magnaflow #15870 System.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:51 pm 
LOST Junkie

thats a great looking jeep and a great looking dodge