It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rutdggr's J-20
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:39 pm 
LOST Newbie

I’m new to the site while looking for information on my Liberty, thought I would share about my J-20 too.

October 2007, I worked out a deal for this 1977 J-20. I had been looking for a Jeep to use just on trails, and really just lucked out finding this Jeep when I went to help a friend do a brake job on his Chevy mud truck. While working, I asked his neighbor about this old Jeep. She responded by saying she wanted it hauled off, so I came back the next day and winched it onto my trailer.

Here is what I started with. The Jeep has a 360/T-18a/Dana 20 with a Dana 44HD front and Dana 60 rear…

I have spent at least 100 hours labor getting the truck to the shape it is in now. Along the way, I wheel it to check out the progress and figure out what I need to do next. Future plans call for a SOA front/Shackle Flip rear and cross-over steering. I will also be cutting off the frame right behind the spring hangers.

Wheelin over the last few months while working on the build.

Tires and rims...

Intake and carb upgrade...

Electrical system upgrade and grill guard.

Over this past weekend, I replaced the u-joints in the front driveshaft and then meet up with some friends at a local hole.

And next time my buddy decides to flex on me, I’ll bring back a bigger truck and show him how it feels to be mounted… :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:06 am 
LOST Newbie

Hope everyone had a good 4th of July weekend! I got back Sunday afternoon from our weekend road-trip to Orlando and Tampa to take my J-20 out for a couple of hours for a spin in the woods. It was a cool way to unwind after all of the activities from the holiday…

Started out riding through the planted pines on our hunting lease. Easy trails, but lots of wildlife.

Alittle trail–flex. The J-20 is still a work in progress, I have a few more things to work on including exhaust and power steering, then I will focus on the suspension. Here you can notice the RF tire stuffed into the fender while the LF tire is limited in droop by the stock shock, and the air pressure in the RR tire. I run about 12 psi on the trails, any less than that will roll the 16.5” tire off the bead of the rim.

There is a very old building on the property, the Jeep couldn’t quite fit completely on top.

Next was a visit to a sand pit next to our property, here’s a few native Florida rocks (concrete) that I can get alittle practice on…

Climbing sand hills…

And alittle mud to finish the day…

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:13 pm 
LOST Newbie

Still been continuing the build on my J-20. Recently went after a friend's Dodge that stalled after some heavy rain. After I got him out, it was my turn to have some fun...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:20 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

GREAT pictures!! Gotta love a Jeep truck! :D

Terry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:27 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks! I was hoping to bring this truck over to the Southern Lost ride over at Eglin, but looks like I won't be able to register it in time.

I have recently bought headers and mufflers for this truck, saving up now to run new dual pipes soon. It currently has stock manifold with dual exhaust and glass-pack mufflers. Looking to improve the exhaust sound by running mufflers similar to Flowmasters...