It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: IDIOTIC WHEEL LUG NUTS!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:38 am 
LOST Newbie

Just changed summer set under my KJ and those wheel lug nuts almost drove me crazy :evil:
There´s some kinda covers attached on the nuts and 9 of them got loose and stuck into the socket of my wrench :shock:
The nuts themselves seems to be made of brass or some such stupidly soft alloy and got smashed during my battle of tyre change :twisted:

I´ll now have to find a set of new lug nuts - preferably made of more steely material than of those originals...

Anyone here ever had the same problem?

timo

General Grabber AT2 265/70 on AEZ Namib 8*16 w/ 5"bs

Beer & sausage - real E=mc2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:13 am 
Oilburner
Oilburner

Yep when the idiot at the tire store rammed the nuts on with an air tool...

I had to change 5....7€ a piece. Original Jeep.

Use a good 6 sided 19mm socket and NO air tool. Then you have zero problems.

Tighten at 145 Nm.

Solo Liberty en Español: Jeepliberty.es

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:21 am 
LOST Addict

Odd, my lugnuts have been raped by airtools numerous times and there is no problems. The nuts themselves are a little flatter on one side of the nut in the hexagonal area than the other, but the wheels don't come off on the road :lol:

DIESEL - saving millions of liters of petrol every day!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:01 am 
LOST Member

No problems with the nuts but the wheels itself look like crap. The plastic coating comes off and the wheels look like they had a hard live on city curbs, only they have not, even the unused spare is damaged this way.

I had 4 wheels replaced under warranty for this issue but the new ones are even worse than the old ones.

I'm thinking of painting them myself or have them done for £50 a wheel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:26 am 
LOST Newbie

Dutchy wrote:
No problems with the nuts but the wheels itself look like crap. The plastic coating comes off and the wheels look like they had a hard live on city curbs, only they have not, even the unused spare is damaged this way.

I had 4 wheels replaced under warranty for this issue but the new ones are even worse than the old ones.

I'm thinking of painting them myself or have them done for £50 a wheel.

Aha!
So that´s epidemic then...
I have the same issue with the wheels too, but I thaught, it´s because they´re for winter use and there´s an awfull lot of salt on the roads on winter :roll:
Haven´t troubled myself with the spare as yet, though.
Would there be same problem with the MOABs aswell, I wonder :?:
I mean, if so, I wouldn´t dream of paying a lot of lettuce just to find out they´re of the same make.
Guess I´m on those soft 8´s now - they might last good looking longer...heck, I don´t know 8)
Anyway - the Cragar Soft 8´s cost only $73 a piece - means just under 50 €...
And I think the lug nuts would be of another make

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:18 am 
LOST Addict

One set of my wheels are damaged as well. They're black and silverish, where they ought to be only silverish.

Thinking of getting them painted as well, but since I'm not the one staring at them I don't really care too much about it. The only drawback is that they make me look like I'm abusing the car, even though my driving style is normally very gentle.

DIESEL - saving millions of liters of petrol every day!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:45 am 
LOST Junkie

Jeep wheel finish is the worst quality of any wheel from any manufacturer or aftermarket wheel maker ive ever seen. I am yet to see a set of jeep wheels that havent got lacquer lift and some of these are less than a year old. The problem is worse on wheels with a polished finish as opposed to painted one. If i were to compile a list of the two worst made things the world has ever forced upon us it would read 1.Jeep alloys 2.jeep foldable mirrors im on my 3 rd set, and outta warrenty now ,they seem to last a matter of months i hardly ever use the fold option but when you do they balls up.

Post subject: Re: IDIOTIC WHEEL LUG NUTS!
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:54 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

FinKj wrote:
Just changed summer set under my KJ and those wheel lug nuts almost drove me crazy :evil:
There´s some kinda covers attached on the nuts and 9 of them got loose and stuck into the socket of my wrench :shock:
The nuts themselves seems to be made of brass or some such stupidly soft alloy and got smashed during my battle of tyre change :twisted:

I´ll now have to find a set of new lug nuts - preferably made of more steely material than of those originals...

Anyone here ever had the same problem?

timo

I am having the same problem with mine. I'm sharing your frustrations almost half-way around the world...

L.O.S.T. #058466
Car Domain, Updated: 2/23/2009
===_oooo
(_l_|_,\____\,_
{----__---_(olllllllo)
()_)"""""()_)--"--)_)

Post subject: Re: IDIOTIC WHEEL LUG NUTS!
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:22 am 
LOST Newbie

[/quote]

I am having the same problem with mine. I'm sharing your frustrations almost half-way around the world...[/quote]

Thanks meh-kick :D

Kinda relief to know I´m not alone with this :)

Well - those Soft8´s will be coming...sure of it...hope they´ll sell me a set of proper lug nuts too...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:48 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I ordered these from Summit since they are close to me. I'd think some auto parts store out your way would have something similar.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetai ... toview=sku

These are still chrome plated, but at least they are solid steel beneath.

Good luck.

L.O.S.T. #058466
Car Domain, Updated: 2/23/2009
===_oooo
(_l_|_,\____\,_
{----__---_(olllllllo)
()_)"""""()_)--"--)_)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:42 pm 
Oilburner
Oilburner

So very strange....seems like the younger you get one the poorer the quality gets. On my '01 the rims still look like new and I use rim cleaner every 2 weeks to clean of the brake dust....but then we never get freezing temps so there's no salt on the road. Although I have been snowboarding a couple of times and up in the mountains they do use salt so....I don't get it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:40 am 
LOST Member

tonycrd wrote:
So very strange....seems like the younger you get one the poorer the quality gets. On my '01 the rims still look like new and I use rim cleaner every 2 weeks to clean of the brake dust....but then we never get freezing temps so there's no salt on the road. Although I have been snowboarding a couple of times and up in the mountains they do use salt so....I don't get it.

I think it has nothing to do with salt, it's more the impact of tyre changes and stone chips that puncture the plastic seal and water will run under the plastic and corrodes the metal of the wheel.

....and you are right with the old KJ's being better quality wise, my 2002 had undercoating, my 2003 not and it looks horrible but according to my stealership it not rust, it is just discolouring of metal, yep, my hair is not grey either, it's just discolouring of my youth.

Jimmy Jeep your are right, those foulding mirrors are a joke, they where crap on my 2002 and they are crap on my 2003.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:54 am 
LOST Newbie

[/quote] Jimmy Jeep your are right, those foulding mirrors are a joke, they where crap on my 2002 and they are crap on my 2003.[/quote]

Why?

What´s the matter with them?

I reckon you mean those mirrors, you can fold against the door panel / window when, for example, going for a wash ?

If so - there´s no problem here :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:00 am 
Oilburner
Oilburner

Neither here. I fold my drivers side mirror every day when I park at work....No underbody coating? What's that al about?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:46 am 
LOST Member

There are a lot of complaints about the folding mirrors (only on EU models) it seems that the motors are weak.

From 2003 they did not coat the axles and other suspension parts to safe money, I'm not sure if and when they started spraying them again.
Also all beams are dry, no wax or coating to be seen but at least they have a bit of paint sprayed on them.

I used to drive VW and even after 5 years the undersides where rust free and looked like new, the Jeep started rusting after 1 year and I'm ashamed when it is lifted up for tyre changes as it looks terrible.

I long back to the days when wax was dripping from the body panels of my Golf GTI when it was parked in the sun on a hot day.