It is currently Tue May 21, 2024 7:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: replacing fuel filter 2.5 CRD, advice please!
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 4:52 am 
LOST Member

Hi guys,

Could anybody advice me on how to change the fuel filter, I had a look at it and don't know where to start.
Do I take the whole unit of the fire wall?
Do I take the in and out tubes off?
do I have to take the electrical connectors on the bottom of the glass off?

Or is there a way that I only have to screw the metal tube (filter) out between the top and the bottom glass and replace it that way?

And after I have finnished, how do I get air out of the system, is it just a case of starting her up or do I have to get the air out manually?

Sorry, a lot of questions but the Haynes manual is useless again as they don't cover the CRD.

Post subject: Re: replacing fuel filter 2.5 CRD, advice please!
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 2:23 am 
LOST Addict

Dutchy wrote:
Hi guys,

Could anybody advice me on how to change the fuel filter, I had a look at it and don't know where to start.
Do I take the whole unit of the fire wall?
Do I take the in and out tubes off?
do I have to take the electrical connectors on the bottom of the glass off?

Or is there a way that I only have to screw the metal tube (filter) out between the top and the bottom glass and replace it that way?

And after I have finnished, how do I get air out of the system, is it just a case of starting her up or do I have to get the air out manually?

Sorry, a lot of questions but the Haynes manual is useless again as they don't cover the CRD.

Yes.
Yes.
Yes.

Take all connectors (tubes, wires, dead animals) off the fuel filter head. Remove bolts holding it on to the firewall. Unscrew old fuel filter, replace with new fuel filter.

Connect everything back the way it was before (except for the dead animals) and open the bleeder and either prime the pump for a thousand years OR get a mate with a compressor to shoot a bit of compressed air down in your fuel tank while the bleeder on the fuel filter is open. If option #2 is used prime the pump for a few stabs and watch the diesel splash out a bit. Close bleeder and start your engine!

Easy peasy job.

I got someone to do it for me, because I didn't want ½l diesel on my paws.

DIESEL - saving millions of liters of petrol every day!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 5:16 am 
LOST Member

Thanks Uffe, I knew I could count on you.

That about the dead animals could be reality as I had a mouse investation last winter and only loads of WD40, two traps on the engine and a elecronic mouse deterant could safe my wiring, and somewhere lurking at the back of the engine there is still a trap with a dead mouse, nice surpice for any mechanic.

Two more questions though:
Where is the bleeder and how do I actually prime the pump?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 6:31 am 
Oilburner
Oilburner

Here ya go. Keep 2 open al the time, until only fuel comes out. Do not put to much stress on the little pump, you may rip the membrane and then you get starting trouble ( like air in your system ).

Solo Liberty en Español: Jeepliberty.es

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 7:38 am 
LOST Member

Great, bedankt Tonycrd.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:07 pm 
LOST Member

Update:

So I changed the fuel filter today, I found that there is an extra o-ring in the Mopar packaging that does not fit anywhere.
I checked the old filter and there where only 2 o-rings, one thin one for the bottom and a thick one for the top so I thing the third one is for a different model Chrsler that uses the same filter.

Uffe wrote that you have to pump for a thausand years, after 2 Hours I was fed up, got on my bike to get a mate with a compressor, when he had a look at the pump he told me that I had not opened the bloody bleeder valve but I had opened some plastick shutter on the top with a screwdriver slich in it, stupid me.
I opened the bleeder valve and within minutes diesel was gushing out and I was ready.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:50 pm 
Oilburner
Oilburner

I think that extra rubber is a co*k ring...free toys from mopar :D

Didn't print the bleeder location now did you ....knowitall dutchman (j/k) :lol:

Great everything worked out for you in the end. Now you know how to do it.

On mine the last 'JEEP mechanic' that worked on my car didn't think it was necessary to put some oil on the seals, I almost broke the bottom bowl trying to get the darn thing of.

Solo Liberty en Español: Jeepliberty.es

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:28 pm 
LOST Member

Funny!
You must be hung like a donkey to use that spare ring for that application :lol:

I had to use a leather oilfilter wrench to get the filter off the pump and to get the glass bowl off the filter, so I guess the last Jeep 'mechanic' that screwed around my Jeep also forgot the oil on the o-rings.

Today I changed the front and rear diff fluids and that completes my 87500 Mile service.

Had to use a 5 foot bar to get the skid plate bolts off and I broke a rachet this way, so I guess they (our lovely Jeep professionals) never changed the front diff. fluid either.

I saved a bunch of cash and it feels good doing this stuff yourself and the best thing is the dealer who is deperate for some cash during this crisis did not get a penny :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:39 am 
LOST Addict

Dutchy wrote:
Update:

So I changed the fuel filter today, I found that there is an extra o-ring in the Mopar packaging that does not fit anywhere.
I checked the old filter and there where only 2 o-rings, one thin one for the bottom and a thick one for the top so I thing the third one is for a different model Chrsler that uses the same filter.

Uffe wrote that you have to pump for a thausand years, after 2 Hours I was fed up, got on my bike to get a mate with a compressor, when he had a look at the pump he told me that I had not opened the bloody bleeder valve but I had opened some plastick shutter on the top with a screwdriver slich in it, stupid me.
I opened the bleeder valve and within minutes diesel was gushing out and I was ready.

LOL I think this is what I did too!

We just never looked at what to open up, but we did get fuel on our hands eventually when we fired the compressed air into the tank :D

DIESEL - saving millions of liters of petrol every day!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:34 am 
LOST Member

Now you are telling me!

I had worn fingers after that action and because i'm somebody who does not give up easely I just went on and on and on.

My mate had a quick look and knew exactly what was wrong,

So Uffe even as a ex KJ driver you can't stay away from here and I even find your input on other KJ related sites, good for you :)