It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Exhaust bracket failed and fixed
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:15 am 
LOST Member

I discovered a rattle from the exhaust Yesterday after returning home from a nice Sunday lunch.

I found that the bracket near the rear axle was rusted so bad that it failed, so I took it to a mate, took the exhaust off and found that the exhaust itself was still in good condition even after 5 1/2 Years.
The bracket is a metal hook that ends into a strip welded to the exhaust and it broke exactly on the point where the thick part met the strip.
We welded the bracket straight onto the exhaust, being careful not to puncture it, and the job was done within an Hour.

Again I saved a bunch as the dealer would have replaced the whole back end of the exhaust including the box and looking at size of it it would have cost at least £200 and that's without labour at £85 an Hour.

Now it has cost me almost nothing except half a dozen of cans John Smith extra smooth and it was fun doing it myself :D

Banning the Jeep dealer from touching my Cherokee has saved me nearly £1000 this year alone 8)