It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Driving in Spain
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:38 am 
LOST Newbie

I will shortly be spending a couple of days in Rioja (wine tasting) before heading to my friends place in Asturia.

The last time I drove a Jeep in Spain, it was my XJ, which had no trouble on the track over the mountains in Picos de Europa (official road according to MS Autoroute), and saved about 100 miles compared to driving on the tarmac road around the mountains.

Having walked on some of the tracks near to Nava (Asturia), I know they are drivable, but am I allowed to? I didn't notice any signs preventing vehicle access, but unfortunately, my Spanish is non existent, so I will be relying on a dictionary to translate any signs. Since my KJ is still standard with only road tyres, I am not looking for a big adventure, just a way of enjoying some more of the local mountain scenery.

I am used to the UK and the lack of legal access to many great tracks, but I do not know the situation in Spain. I would appreciate any information and advice from our Spanish members, especially on maps, since the ones I have previously used are inaccurate.

Many thanks,

Ivan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:58 pm 
LOST Junkie

Tony crd is your man,he goes a wheeling in his kj,and lives in Spain,speaks perfect English and is very helpful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:25 pm 
Oilburner
Oilburner

Hiya! On trails that are either shut down with a chain or a fence or a road sign like this one it's not legal to enter them with your JEEP.

Some trails are private property and have a sign too. ( Propiedad Privada )

So if the trail has no sign or fence...go for it.

Can't help you out on maps, I am still doing it without a GPS.

When you arrive in Spain you can get a detailed (paper) road map at any tourist information office.

Have fun!

Solo Liberty en Español: Jeepliberty.es

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:12 am 
LOST Newbie

Hi

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortuantly, this site has been down, so I have used common sense, TomTom and garmin mapping to drive over some mountains in Rioja and Asturias.

Nothing challenging, but wonderfull scenery.

I will post some photos when I get back home to a reliable internet connection.

Ivan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:00 pm 
Oilburner
Oilburner

Please do post some pics, never been there... :(

Solo Liberty en Español: Jeepliberty.es

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:07 pm 
LOST Newbie

I've uploaded a few pics to http://www.cheddleton.eclipse.co.uk/spain0909/.

The first few are scenes in Rioja.

Pics 7291 to 7333 are in the southern mountains of Rioja, and 7350 onwards are near Nava, Asturia.

The road to the top of the mountain in Rioja was tarmac, with plenty of hairpin bends, as seen in 7311 and 7326. At the top, the road changed to a dirt track, and was even marked on my TomTom and Garmin gps.

The road in Asturia was mostly concrete, very steep in places, although there was one section (approx 5Km) which was muddy and rutted, and I did think about reversing out, but persevered with some spotting. Unfortuantly, I don't have any photos of the bad sections, since I was more concerned about getting past them than taking photos.

Ivan