It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rear Diff
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:24 pm 
LOST Member

Hi all, KJ newbie here :oops: ... how do I tell if my rear diff requires the Mopar additive when I change the oil, or do they all have LSD ?

(UK Spec, 05, 2.8CRD Sport, manual)

Thanx in advance :wink:

Post subject: Re: Rear Diff
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:09 pm 
LOST Junkie

Hello and welcome :D First, the spec sheet will tell you. You can get it from a dealer by giving them your VIN number. Secondly, I think all the export models had the Tracloc LSD as standard anyway. Even if I'm wrong about that, it won't do any harm to add the stuff.

Light Khaki 2.8CRD: TJM alloy bumper; Skid Row &Asfir skids;ext. breathers; SAMCO hoses; Grabber At3 235/70/16; Fumoto; Euro TC; Odyssey PC1500;GDE FTEcotune; OME lift; lightforce driving lights;ARB diff cover;nylon fan+Hayden2905;ss vortex exhaust; Airflow snorkel; Frontrunner roofrack; rock rails

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:31 pm 
LOST Junkie

Hi Ando,
Welcome to LOST!!
Hope youu are enjoying yout KJ 8)

Fil

Curt Front Hitch+Warn M8000 & Cradel
Asfir Front, Gearbox,Transfer Skid + Mopar Tank Skid
BF Goodridge KM2 & General Grabbers AT 245/75R16
OME NS131&790 + NS132L&948, 3/8 Boiler Top Plate, JBA 4.5, 2 Top Rear Isolators

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:33 pm 
LOST Member

Nice one, cheers matey :wink:

Got so much to learn about the KJ :?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:36 pm 
LOST Member

Pippobug wrote:
Hi Ando,
Welcome to LOST!!
Hope youu are enjoying yout KJ 8)

Fil

Cheers Fil :wink: .. love it so far, just desperate to get it lifted, and some decent rubber on 8) (not finding it too easy here :( )

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:17 pm 
LOST Junkie

You are welcome! As for rubber- if you want an AT, I can recommend the General Grabber AT2 - excellent tyre if you can still get it - if not, their new Grabber AT is getting some very good reviews. Alternatively the Continental Cross-Contact is supposed to be very good. Both comply with the new tyre noise regs shortly to come in. If you want a muddy, I hear that the Cooper STT is a good pick.

If you want a snorkel, these guys developed the first for the KJ, and actually have a warehouse in England (Bromley to be exact!) http://www.snorkels.com.au/. Alternatively Safari now do one as well. If you want to extend your breathers (diffs, gearbox etc) OEC International in Devon do a kit (they did anyway) - I know because they used my 2005 as a template for it.

As far as suspension lifts - basically about 2"or so is it if you don't want problems with your CVs etc. Most people go OME (springs and shocks) but TJM do suspension for the KJ as well. OEC import TJM stuff (I got my bumper from them) but the suspension with have to be a special order - not enough KJ owners here mod their vehicles to warrant keeping stock. Another alternative is to contact a guy in Australia called CRDStu who puts together special kits - King Springs and OME shocks to suit your particular requirements and load (underbody armour, winch etc.). The Aus guys sing his praises and they should know - they have extreme conditions to deal with - http://www.murchisonproducts.com.au/

For manuals and parts fiches http://colorado4wheel.com/manuals/ . The only thing to remember here is to look at the manuals for the next model as well: for instance, the 2005 manual has the 2.8CRD and transmission etc. but if you want diagrams of the cooling system - fan and fan clutch - that's in the 2006 manual!

If you want an engine tune - Green Diesel Engineering are the lads! Eco tune, hot tune - check their website or just look them up on here.

Light Khaki 2.8CRD: TJM alloy bumper; Skid Row &Asfir skids;ext. breathers; SAMCO hoses; Grabber At3 235/70/16; Fumoto; Euro TC; Odyssey PC1500;GDE FTEcotune; OME lift; lightforce driving lights;ARB diff cover;nylon fan+Hayden2905;ss vortex exhaust; Airflow snorkel; Frontrunner roofrack; rock rails

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:44 pm 
LOST Member

WoW cheers for all the info mate :D ..... as it stands at the mo, I'm thinkin HD OME springs/struts/shocks .. but where to get it from ??

TBR UK have been recomended so I'll see what they say :wink: .. its quite frustrating at the mo, cus I've got the cash waiting for the right set up :evil: but cant afford to make the wrong choice :?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:05 pm 
LOST Junkie

Lancer wrote:
Both comply with the new tyre noise regs shortly to come in. .

Seriously????? Someone slow at work and making up things to check to keep their job?

Provent @ 43,000 km
SEGR in progress
SAMCO Sport hoses @ 48500 km
Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac LT225/75R16

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:28 pm 
LOST Addict

If you ar back there draining the diff yourself you will know right away weather you have the Trac-loc or not.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:05 am 
LOST Junkie

ando wrote:
WoW cheers for all the info mate :D ..... as it stands at the mo, I'm thinkin HD OME springs/struts/shocks .. but where to get it from ??

TBR UK have been recomended so I'll see what they say :wink: .. its quite frustrating at the mo, cus I've got the cash waiting for the right set up :evil: but cant afford to make the wrong choice :?

Hi Ando,
I have lifted mine with OME suspention. Now If I were you I would get the parts from TBR Uk ( I did part of them). First you can get Front Shocks and all the coils and the price if you haggle a bit does work out nearly the same as shipping it from the US, but you will need to order the longer back shocks from the US at ALL J as they are not available through Europe ( I have looked all over the place at the time). There are also other options out there, you can go H&R coils from Germany & Bildstein or Koni shocks, only problem is finding the right lengh rear shock to lift the KJ.
Tyre, General Grabbers AT2 are very hard to find at this stage, some kind of shortage, so i bought General Grabbers AT and I love them, quiet and stick to the road very nicely. otherwise BFG Goodridge but then you pay a premium, difference at the time over £250.00 on a set of 4 new tyres.
Fil.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:11 am 
LOST Member

audiboy86 wrote:
If you ar back there draining the diff yourself you will know right away weather you have the Trac-loc or not.

How ??

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:31 am 
LOST Member

Hi Fil, I know its been covered a million times here (I think I've read them all TBH!!), but I've become a little blinded in my ignorance, what with all the differant makes of gear, very differant oppinions, and terms like pinch pounding etc :shock: :?: .. so do ya fancy doing me a big favour and just jotting down a diffinitive list of just what I need to buy for a 2.5" lift here in the UK ? just so I have a pretty good idea of what I want when I finally talk to TBR or someone like that :oops:

At the mo, this is what I understand is needed:

Front end:

OME front HD struts, pair of
OME front HD springs, pair of ... is that it for the front ?

Rear:

OME HD springs, pair of
shocks ..? longer than OME I assume ?

Cheers :D

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:28 am 
LOST Junkie

Ando,

I will PM you the information and contacts.

Fil.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:59 am 
Oilburner
Oilburner

ando wrote:
audiboy86 wrote:

How ??

You need to take the rear cover off to drain the oil. Then you can see the diff carrier. Or..when you have both rear tires off the floor, rotate one. If the other one rotates in the same direction as the one you are moving, you have LSD.

Pounding the pinch weld is not that hard LOL :mrgreen:

Solo Liberty en Español: Jeepliberty.es

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:00 pm 
LOST Member

tonycrd wrote:
ando wrote:
audiboy86 wrote:

How ??

You need to take the rear cover off to drain the oil. Then you can see the diff carrier. Or..when you have both rear tires off the floor, rotate one. If the other one rotates in the same direction as the one you are moving, you have LSD.

Pounding the pinch weld is not that hard LOL :mrgreen:

Cheers Tony, why does that last bit sound like summut very wrong !!! :lol:

Got a price today for a full OME lift here in the UK ..... :shock: ..... then again, I didnt think twice about spending half as much again a few years ago for a full Skyjacker to be fitted to my old XJ that was only worth a fraction of the KJ :oops:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:14 pm 
LOST Junkie

What price were you quoted?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:02 pm 
LOST Addict

Well you can try Tony's method or when you open up the rear cover you should see one big main gear then 4 smaller gears two with a solid bar through them one with the axle shafts barely through. I believe the Trac-lock is a solid housing unit so you would see the big main gear attached to what will look like a large metal cylinder.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:19 am 
LOST Member

Lancer wrote:
What price were you quoted?

A grand give or take, supply only :?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:36 am 
Oilburner
Oilburner

That's the going price for a OME kit...It's really worth it.

You could go for cheaper shocks though. Or get the stuff used.

While your at it, search around for some 245/75/16 tires, or your Jeep will look like this...

Solo Liberty en Español: Jeepliberty.es

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:47 pm 
LOST Member

tonycrd wrote:
That's the going price for a OME kit...It's really worth it.

You could go for cheaper shocks though. Or get the stuff used.

While your at it, search around for some 245/75/16 tires, or your Jeep will look like this...

Cant see the pic, but I can guess what it is :P ... I had a 5" Skyjacker lift on my XJ, and for a couple of weeks while waiting for my tyres, it had the standard wheels/tyres on :ROTFL: .. looked like a bloody roller skate :ROTFL:

I'm looking at other options at the mo, as I dont plan on off roading the KJ to the same extent I did in the XJ, so cant really justify the cost of OME, upper arms, ball joints etc etc ... It would be closer to 2k in the end before I even look at wheels/rubber !

I think a couple inches of lift or so, and a set of good AT's would prob do me, and perhaps look at a ready prepped XJ for off roadin later, they're cheap as chips at the mo :D